iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nautical Term - All you NAVY guys I need help

Started by Radar67, October 03, 2012, 04:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

On the wooden tall ships, there is a wooden pin used to tie off ropes from the rigging. To quickly untie the ropes, the sailors pull the pin out of its holder. What is the proper term for the pin?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

scgargoyle

I think you are referring to a 'belaying pin'.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Slabs

I think you're right.  It also made for a great bludgeon in a deck fight.  Possibly the origin of the contemporary term "Belay That"!
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Clam77

Gargoyle is correct -- it's called a belaying pin. 

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Okrafarmer

The term "Belay that" comes from the act of tying or fastening the rope to the belaying pin. Long John Silver says, "Belay that filthy tongue!" to the woman who gives him grief. She tells him, "Wash your face! It's as greasy as a launching beam, and twice as ugly!"

So telling someone to "belay that" means to tie it up, make it stop moving. Ie, your tongue, for instance.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Warbird

Belay this thread, it's Radar's birthday!  Happy birthday, Radar.  :)

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Happy Birthday, my Friend.  So now you are building a ship  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Hmm, that would be fun! What kind of sailing ship, and what are you making it out of? At least one of my ancestors was a wooden ship builder. . . .  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Texas Ranger

Shoulda known y'all would know naughty terms.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Radar67

Magic, It would be one of my long term life goals to build my own tall ship, by hand. I would have a hard time getting it to water though. Someone mentioned using the belay pin for a weapon, that is exactly the reason I asked the question. I have a gentleman wanting me to turn one for him and I needed reference pictures. I found by not knowing the proper term, I could not find pictures.

A good history lesson is always appreciated. 8)  Now, belay this, where is my cake?  ;D

Thanks everyone.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Magicman

I wonder how many "belaying pin" hits that Google has had since this was posted.  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

Well, they got at least one.................

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

I suppose the term "belay " was probabley used first to refer to belaying pins which haven't been used since the square riggers sailed the high seas .It was adapted correctly or incorrectly to mean somewhat like forget my last order such as "belay " that last .

We didn't have any belaying pins on the submarine but I heard the word belay a lot of times as well as other words which really shouldn't be mentioned on an open forum . ;)

Don_Papenburg

I guess that was the problem , all this time I thought that they were saying Delay
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Okrafarmer

Funny how things get skewed over time. Like the old phrase "toe the line" has come to be "tow the line" ie, give it all you've got. And the phrase "if you think ______ , then you have another think coming" has come to be said, "if you think _______, then you have another thing coming." Belay becomes delay, or allay. "A leper can't change his spots" come to be "a leopard can't change his spots" and so on.

Warbird

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 04, 2012, 11:11:24 PM
"A leper can't change his spots" come to be "a leopard can't change his spots" and so on.

But a leprechaun can!

fat olde elf

Happy Day !! So are you now 148 ? Say your prayers.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Woodchuck53

Not to be confused with a Fid. Also a handy attitude adjuster.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Radar67

Quote from: Radar67 on October 04, 2012, 09:50:57 AM
Someone mentioned using the belay pin for a weapon, that is exactly the reason I asked the question.

Quote from: WDH on October 04, 2012, 08:41:07 PM
Where are you sailing off to  ???

Possibly the land of knots and bruises  :D. Not sure if the guy who wants the pins plans to use them on me, or someone else.  ;D

BaldBob

Belaying pins are still used on some modern warships - for things such as the signal flag lines. However, they now tend to be brass rather than wood.

Slabs

Quote from: Radar67 on October 04, 2012, 09:50:57 AM
Someone mentioned using the belay pin for a weapon, that is exactly the reason I asked the question. I have a gentleman wanting me to turn one for him and I needed reference pictures. I found by not knowing the proper term, I could not find pictures.

A good history lesson is always appreciated. 8)  Now, belay this, where is my cake?  ;D

Thanks everyone.

My image of a belaying pin comes from old sea movies as does the image of the pin being used in a fight.  Possibly a movie like "Men Who Go Down to the Sea in Ships'.

What I remember of the pin is that the top or heavier part started with a hemispherical knob that tapered down a bit to a flange and below the flange a longer taper that would fit into a tapered socket in the rail of the ship.  The lower taper would be pounded into the rail so that a line could be run under the rail and secured to the top of the pin with a cinch.

Guess I was wrong about the lower taper.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!