iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2nd Resawn Giant Table

Started by Lud, December 04, 2012, 08:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

Last Spring I sawed barn beams and built a 14' x 5' and 15 stools for a customer and shared the story here.  A guy in my golf league showed interest and I forwarded the thread to him and he asked me to build him one.  So the Forum can help you get business!

He had access to a 125 year old school being demolished and brought salvaged beams that turned out to be old growth SYP. Took out a bucket of spikes but otherwise clean. Sliced off the outside 1/4" as beams were discolored and a bit bashed up.  Nice tight grain.  Did breadboard ends with 3" deep mortises ; tenons were pinned with cherry dowels.  Finished with ONE Time that needs sun to cure but is great for outside usage.

Instead of long benches or stools , I came up with 2 person benches at 4' length with boat-tail ends that ease entry and the low rail is perfect to rest your heel on.  Whipped out all six in one day.

It took 5 of us to carry the 12' 4" x 47" table top onto it's future home.  The leg units are attached with Headlock screws which are very stout and drive great.  I again made UHMW plastic sliders for the table and benches to prevent percolation.

The customer was stoked and bought some other stuff I make.  I was stoked when he started slapping down 100's and 50's!!

Here's pics........

And my customer let me know they had their Thanksgiving dinner on the table!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Planman1954

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

clww

Another fantastic job! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom L

jueston

Tree Feller

VERY nice table set, Lud and congrats on getting stoked for it.   8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

WDH

Incredible and beautiful!  You are getting a reputation  ;D.  Not many people could do that, and even fewer could do it with your quality and craftsmanship. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

T Welsh

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Your sander lost it's dust thing-a-ma-jig  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedar Savage

"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Lud

Thankyouverymuch   for  all the kind words. :)

Danny, I never even put on the dust thing a ma jig on the sander....just gets in the way.  Besides, whenever I get a nice southwest wind , I open the barn doors, fire up the backpack blower and clean out my shop and millshed. :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Magicman

The table is awesome and the benches very innovative.  The customer was justifiably stoked and so were you.   :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I agree!  I am especially impressed with the breadboards and the benches.  It does not get any better than that  ;D.

Phorester

samandothers

Fantastic looking! 
My back aches a bit just looking at the table and thinking about moving it.

davch00

That's a good looking table. Have you good long-term success with ONE TIME? I have thought about trying it and see if last any longer than other outdoor finishes.

Lud

Seems good as it is absorbed and cures in the sun.  Not a skin like the polys that delam.   I added a second coat after a couple of weeks outside and it was beneficial.  So their claim that the finish can be refreshed after years seems valid.  Interestingly, a brush in a bucket in the barn never set up and the material was still usable so sunlight is required. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!