Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the great information FF has provided me with;
  • Grinding and setting your own blades
  • What you charge to saw
  • Hourly versus bf
  • Circular vs bandmills
  • Marketing and legal
  • And how much fun it is to create lumber
I just picked up my WM Super Hyd on Friday of last week, four days ago.  Fortunately for me my neighbor just cut down three poplar trees that I got to practice on.  Now I have enough crating material for about three years.  I hated buying crating material.  While sawing the poplar yesterday a local business man stopped by and asked if I'd cut up some old growth firs on shares.  "Sure why not" (more practice I figure and I need the CVG for specialty tables I build)

One problem with band mills is the limited diameters they can handle.  Ergo Image #1

Construction worker's attempt at splitting a 43" old growth fir.

Oops, Dropped it.

After a couple attempts and, adding more rock content, mangling the log, I begged them to stop.  The outer slabs the popped off where from them trying to split it on it's side before I got there.  Apparently the tree lived through two forest fires.  One about 75 years ago and one about 100-125 years ago.  The log popped off some slabs at these weak points.  I finally went and got my chainsaw and split it myself.  Time to go get the rip chain from the logging supply store.

Here's one of the slabs in the mill.  Slow cutting.

These are some of the boards from the slab.  Most of them are in the loader waiting to be edged.  Wow, it's looking like I got a cant! 8) No more rocks!

Finally, something that resembles a log.  I was only able to to make one pass on the log in this position.  It's wider that the image shows.
[Edited Note: this is the size image I orriginally posted before Tom's help]

[Edited post.  See once again FF helps me out!]

***NEED SOME HELP***
Does anyone have a program for PC's they they recommend for resizing photos.  I uesd MS Picture manager and it only lest you compress to fixed sizes, large, medium, and micro.
Or, point me to a thread that has already covered this problem.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Tom

What a great post.  You've made me, and probably everyone else that reads it, real happy. ;D :)

While it seems that some are getting away from it, I use Xat's image optimizer.  You can get a free demo version from their website that will do all that you need to do.  The instructions for using it and posting pictures can be found in the drop-down at the top of the page called "forum tools".  Keep this sequence in mind.  "crop, size(300 pixels) and optimize(15kb).

Jeff says  he has raised the limit to 17kb but, what the heck, why make'em more dense than they need to be? :)

Stump Jumper

8) so thats how to make split rail fencing   :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

DextorDee

Resizer for windows XP
Look on the right side for Image Resizer. At this Link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

After you download and install just right click on image, in the menu you will see resize pictures. this will open another menu, I use the the 240X320 for the FF ..

You should be able to click on this link and go to the download.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Hope this helps
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Thank You Sponsors!