iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1 Burbon,1 Scotch and 72 mortice

Started by jamesamd, May 30, 2014, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

The Wife says,She would like something to provide some privacy from the street. :-X
Maybe a tall planter,so She will not have to bend over to plant and care for the flowers.(bad back)
After much discussion and web surfing,She shows me a planter She likes.I don't like it but say,I'll make Her 2
ten foot each.No,I want to walk between them and not cut off Our neighbors access. :-\

So it's three then,@ 6 feet each.

That was Mid April and planting season is looming.A  few hours in My shop making drawings,I submit one I like,
She liked it also. :o

The lumber was all salvaged,from shipping crates, My company had,from a robot Thay had purchased from a German company

years ago.It took the entir next weekend to disinter it all from My garage,sort it and cut to rough length and then plane
all the weathered finish off.I had pulled hundreds of nails,when I disassembled these crates,My planer found 2,
side by side.I had thought that to get into the USA,they would be kiln dried.Well they all went diamond shaped ovethe years.
So My jointer found thoes same 2 nails,first chance it got.

What were 4"X3 1/2" ended up 3 1/8"  almost square.Then the fun began,Layout 72 mortise off the two best sides and
the matching tenons on the rails and stretchers.

Starting the mortise,with forstner bit,removing waste.

17 of 18 side rails,rough cut tenons with a stacked dado.

The first 52 T&G panels.It will take over a 100.

First set of ends fitted.

First set of stretchers dado and tenons done.

T&G panals fit.

Aluminium flashing for the drain trough.

Done with the first one Saturday,Memorial Day.

Planted on Memorial Day.

I diid not have the time to take pics of the innards but will on the next 2. :D

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

red oaks lumber

i'm not showing my wife this thread :)she'll have me making those. very nice detailed planter!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

hackberry jake

Your planter makes mine look like a kids art project...

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

All I can say is, WOW!  Now that is what I call doing something right.

Sorry to hear about the planer and jointer knives  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Don't put that too close to the street,people will be stopping to ask where you brought that from. That looks nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Very nice.
Too bad about the nails.
Some metal always seem to elude the best location efforts.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

drobertson

Very nice planters!  I can almost still here the echo of what you might have said when hitting the nails :D,  that really stinks,  You could most definitely sell these.  Jake, nothing childish about yours, quite sure yours would sell as well, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Quote from: drobertson on May 31, 2014, 08:24:43 AM
  Jake, nothing childish about yours, quite sure yours would sell as well, 
already did :)

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

That is some special fine joinery for a planter box  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Lud

John Lee would be proud of you, Jamesand!! 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 31, 2014, 08:29:52 PM
$600.00
Thats a 200% increase since the last price poston! Do you work for the government or big oil?

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 31, 2014, 09:23:53 PM
:D :D :D

Hack's trying to move my pricing to the Restricted Board.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jamesamd

$600.00

Sold!!!
I spent half the morning getting new tires on My Rabbit.
Apparently a 18 wheeler carrying pineapples turned over on the Staten Island parking lot,(I278)closed it for hours.

I live South (2 streets) from I278,shop is North of it.It took an hour to get there.Ever see what happens when 10,000 cars per hour,take to the side streets.It is'nt pretty.

Got home around 3PM set up My horses in the drive slope to fit the next 4 stretchers,sky darkens,winds start gusting,rain starts falling.

Pack it all back in the garage,half hour later beaming sunshine,set it all up again,
sky darkens...................................

Only got 4 tenons fit,worked untill 8:pm

Thanks Men for Your kind comments and insperation :)

David,I only accept CA$H ;)

Jim

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: jamesamd on May 31, 2014, 10:10:33 PM
$600.00

Sold!!!
I spent half the morning getting new tires on My Rabbit.
Apparently a 18 wheeler carrying pineapples turned over on the Staten Island parking lot,(I278)closed it for hours.

I live South (2 streets) from I278,shop is North of it.It took an hour to get there.Ever see what happens when 10,000 cars per hour,take to the side streets.It is'nt pretty.

Got home around 3PM set up My horses in the drive slope to fit the next 4 stretchers,sky darkens,winds start gusting,rain starts falling.

Pack it all back in the garage,half hour later beaming sunshine,set it all up again,
sky darkens...................................

Only got 4 tenons fit,worked untill 8:pm

Thanks Men for Your kind comments and insperation :)

David,I only accept CA$H ;)

Jim

Jim,

As David's business agent for this deal, I can assure you he is good for it.  Just send me your bank routing number and bank account number and we'll have the funds transferred immediately!

We also have a special on bridges today, with your choice of locations, New York City or San Fancisco...

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

......and ocean front property in Arizona.  fishin-smiley  surfer-smiley

Call now........Operators are standing buy!  ;D

jamesamd

I'm getting a NOT busy signal,whats up with that :D

Herb,sorry,I already own the Brooklyn Bridge ;)

NYC is apt to think I'm trying to create a monopoly,once I own two :-*

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!