iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identify a Navy AWACS plane.

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 28, 2014, 01:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Last week I had a job milling not far from the NASA Wallops Island facility. During a good part of the two days on site, Navy pilots were practicing touch and go landings, buzzing our site at 400-500 feet as they banked left after takeoff.

The planes had 4 props and appeared to be piston engine (not sure). They had the big round radar arrays mounted on top. I've been searching google trying to find out what they were but haven't had any luck. They may have been PC-3 Orien based, but as I recall they seemed to be a little smaller.

Any of you airplane guys know what they were? I can tell you this, they were loud. Especially as it got near midnight and I was trying to get some sleep... :(

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Dan_Shade on June 28, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
maybe an E-2C?

No, these were 4 engine planes. From what the client told me, that they were practicing touch and go landings, I get the impression that they may be carrier based planes.

clww

The only four-engine aircraft to ever land on a carrier was a highly-modified C-130 "Hercules", mainly to see if it could be done.
I think the one you saw was a modified, special-use P-3 "Orion". These are also used by NOAA and NASA, in addition to several other countries that fly them, including Iran.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ianab

Only thing I can find that fits your description would be a Homeland Security P3-AEW

From Wikipedia

QuoteUnited States Department of Homeland Security / Bureau of Customs and Border Protection / Office of Air and Marine – eight P-3 AEWs; based at NAS Corpus Christi, Texas and Cecil Field, Jacksonville, Florida. Used for border patrol and anti-drug duties. Former USN aircraft, modified and equipped with the same Airborne Early Warning radar as fitted to the E-2 Hawkeye

Here is a list of ALL the AWACs aircraft ever. Only American one with 4 props, that's still in use, is those modified P3s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWACS_aircraft_list

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Delawhere Jack

I guess they were P3 based planes then. They had USN markings. It was over a week ago and I was pretty focused on milling, and about half heat stroked, or I would have gotten a picture.

Thanks.

luvmexfood

P-3's are still pretty much front line suvervilance planes with the Navy even though they are of, I think, early 60's vintage. Have even seen some adapted for forest fires applications. Tough workhorses.

Then there are several "company planes" flying of different models that use a few different airports for training. Have seen them do touch and go's at the commercial airport I used to work at. Many odd antenas from different locations.

Basically civilian aircraft modified for special applications complete with an N number registered to a dummy corp. The same with some corp. jet type aircraft. When you drive by them on the ramp and they have people setting on the inside on both sides of a person with MP-5s, two standing outside the aircraft door while two go to the restroom and the plane is getting fuel. Just throw your hand up and wave then drive on by.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: luvmexfood on June 28, 2014, 08:48:55 PM
P-3's are still pretty much front line suvervilance planes with the Navy even though they are of, I think, early 60's vintage. Have even seen some adapted for forest fires applications. Tough workhorses.

Then there are several "company planes" flying of different models that use a few different airports for training. Have seen them do touch and go's at the commercial airport I used to work at. Many odd antenas from different locations.

Basically civilian aircraft modified for special applications complete with an N number registered to a dummy corp. The same with some corp. jet type aircraft. When you drive by them on the ramp and they have people setting on the inside on both sides of a person with MP-5s, two standing outside the aircraft door while two go to the restroom and the plane is getting fuel. Just throw your hand up and wave then drive on by.

:o

I can neither confirm nor deny that I have seen or have not seen any aircraft of any such description anywhere, at any time....  ;)

Ianab

A P3-K made the news the other day, scaring the locals around Auckland by blowing up some sand dunes.  :D
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10197594/Incoming-Bombs-over-Auckland

The airframes may be old, but the NZ ones have all been totally refitted. Glass cockpits, computers, radars etc They also have a good endurance which is what's needed more than speed when doing search work. Jets aren't don't do so well cruising around ~1,000ft looking for life rafts etc. According to Wikipedia "The record time aloft for a P-3 is 21.5 hours, undertaken by the Royal New Zealand Air Force's No. 5 Squadron in 1972." That would be without refuelling. Not many aircraft can match that.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!