iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a few little projects

Started by mmartone, December 13, 2014, 10:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Friend of mine called me and told me he had something for me... loaded it all in the truck bed.

A bunch of redmax, some rebranded huskys, some homelites, a few stihls and a homelite 925. A pile of bars and a box and a bucket of chains. Needed another project!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

sablatnic

:)
And I feel lucky when I get one!
:D

mmartone

I feel really lucky, theres a 925XL in the back in nice shape. Found I had a 36" bar and in the pile of chains in a bucket that came with the saws there was one chain that fit! I tipped some fuel in it and zoom zoom.. but wouldnt run. Pulled the carb, fuel line/junk, some crap in the carb, should be running next week! Some of the rest of the stuff feels like it has decent compression and may run. I read that some of the Redmax saws were old Huskys and thats what two of them look like to me.  I think theres an 044 or 046 in there too that needs a starter side cover assembly and air filter assy and cover, gotta determine compression first. Theres an 036 and some other smaller ones apart.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

Have plans for all of them? 036 and 044/046 in particular? If not pm me please! Nice lot btw!  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

mmartone

Spent some time this evening on some saws and found most of the REdmax saws were junk with the exeption of one little top handle job, its going to live. The homelite xl(plastic body) and the 240 both run but need attention.The husky 359 runs and idles but needs a top, one clip and a side cover assy with brake. The stihl 017 also runs and idles, needs a top cover/air filter assy.  I have the carb off the 925 and am hoping I can get some fuel line tomorrow for it so I can get it in operation. I am looking for some starter assemblys for the other two stihls so I can see if they are worth fixing or not.

mmartone

More good news, dealer had a starter for the 046 in stock, yes it was expensive and some bar nuts. Put the starter on and put some fuel in the carb after a little ttention with the compressor and zoom zoom, carb needs attention and its going to need an air filter and cover assy. I need to order a carb kit and gasket for the 925 it doesnt want to run with a new fule line and cleaned out carb. dang it. So the 036 is next on my list, turning it over by hand it feels like it has some compression so it may run too, its complete except the starter.

Mn woodchuck

You one lucky devil.     .. I never get free or reasonable stuff. U r going to have a bunch of usable saw from this !!
to soon oldt to late schmart!
3 husky 350xps 340xp 362 346. 372xp McCullough 710.and a jonsered 2150 sopped up..
Cat D6 D2

mmartone

Well the starter came in for the 036 and it runs, I put a bar and chain on it and cut, it has good power. So after the I put the new top on the 359 husky I have to decide what saws to sell and what to keep to use. Any way to determine without a doubt if I have an 044 or an 046, tag and stickers mia, short of disassembling it? So I have: husky 345, 359, 372 (keeping) and 3120 (milling saw/keeping). Stihl 036, 044/046, 064. I sure dont need them and will sell a few of them as well as some of the bars and chains I dont need. And this morning the 011 top and air filter came!! Who gets this excited about chainsaws!

JohnG28

I would be too with that lot for free! For some time and parts there's some nice saws in there.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

mmartone

Well its not exacly free.. I have to swap some labor for it all and theres no telling how that may go.  >:(

JohnG28

I got you, know a few of that type myself, an uncle comes to mind as well.  :D As for the 044/46, if you have the clutch cover off,look above the area where the oiler mates to the bar. There should be a serial number stamped in the case. Stihl should be able to tell you based on the number if you contact them. Or pull the top end and check piston diameter. 50mm=044. 52mm=046.  ;)

ohiowoodchuck

If john passes on the stihls I could be interested.
Education is the best defense against the media.

mmartone

Roger that guys. I have been through the gaggle of bars and chains and identified some by numbers and some by taking the time and fitting them on saws. I have some spare chains and bars for quite a few saws now, someone just needs to get a round-tuit and sharpen them all! I filed out the slot in one to fit it to my 372 and now I have a 20+" and 6 chains to go with the 32" I had on it. Is it worth the effort to list whats left on here or Ebay or do used bars and chains have so little value?

sawguy21

I want the 359 but freight and brokerage will kill me. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mmartone

Thinking about keeping that one and selling my 345, its about the same size and a little more weight but more power!

celliott

The 359 is a great firewood saw.
Be sure to check out the intake boot clamp. If it's the plastic style, it MUST be replaced. They deform and leak air. I recently rebuild a 359 that succumbed to that exact symptom. Husqvarna updated with a metal clamp.

If it's an Etech with a green gas cap, it has a catalytic muffler.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

mmartone

It has a green gas cap... whats the mean? Good or bad?

celliott

It means it's an Etech model, and most likely it has a catalytic convertor in the muffler. Not exactly healthy for a chainsaw, retains alot of heat.
Either muffler mod, or get a non cat muffler (OEM or AM)
The most pressing issue is the intake boot clamp though. MANY saws of that series have succumbed to air leaks from that Dang clamp...

BTW, you can get dual west coast felling dawgs with roller chain catcher for that saw DIRT cheap. Less than 4 bucks online.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ohiowoodchuck

Post or pm a list when you get a chance. I'll pick thru it and see if there's anything I can't live without. I'm looking for another 046/460 or anything I can port and polish rebuild and tune to out run my buddies xp395.
Education is the best defense against the media.

mmartone

Whats to stop me from removing the muffler and the catalyst falling out of it? It might be loose in there... 8)

JohnG28

Yeah, you really don't want to mod a cat muffler. Better to get a non-catalytic muffler and go from there.

celliott

Quote from: mmartone on December 23, 2014, 11:31:04 PM
Whats to stop me from removing the muffler and the catalyst falling out of it? It might be loose in there... 8)

It's actually very hard to remove the CAT from the muffler. Take it off and check it out. Short of splitting the muffler and re-welding it, your option would be to ruin a few drill-bits.
I was able to hacksaw out the inner pipe (difficult) that routes exhaust from the front side of the muffler, through the CAT and back out the top port. So the exhaust goes into the back half of the muffler (closest to the cylinder) and out the top exhaust port. I also added a second exhaust port on the side.

Honestly, a $20 aftermarket muffler would have been alot easier to deal with, and actually, most AM options are less restrictive than the OEM ones, CAT or not. There's a great big baffle in there on both mufflers, again, hard to remove short of drilling.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

mmartone

So I feel like I have had a pretty good look for a serial number on the 044/046 with no luck. Can I get a pic of someone elses to see exactly where it is please? I got the carb adjusted and found it wouldnt idle with the bar and chain on it, as well as the chain never stopped, found a clutch spring off and stretched. I had another whole clutch/drum etc off a 441 and swapped the whole thing out, problem solved. Just trying to sharpen the pile of chains I have sorted to fit saws I have running.

beenthere

QuoteSo I feel like I have had a pretty good look for a serial number on the 044/046 with no luck.

Per the Stihl saw site:
QuoteWhere do I find my serial number?
Most serial numbers are stamped in the motor housing or crankcase to the left or right of the muffler looking down from the top on a flat surface. They will in most cases be 9 digits long and begin with the number 1, 2 or 5.

Also Google "Stihl saw serial number location" and you will see several hits and pics.

Also p 8 of this Stihl .pdf document..
quick guide
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!