iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E Classic minor problems

Started by bobby s, December 27, 2014, 04:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby s

Though my 2300 has been running well and gasifying, I haven't been getting the usual roaring flame in the reaction chamber. While cleaning today, I found one of the wires had come off the lower solenoid. The female disconnect was very loose, so I crimped new ones on and even crimped it again once it was on the solenoid post.

Earlier in the season, I had the same symptoms with more smoke and found the bolt holding the elbow cover had deteriorated and the cover was not lifting up when the fan came on. I replaced the bolt with a 1/4 20 stainless.

Both easy fixes, but learned my lesson that there's a reason if the boiler doesn't seem to be running right.
Hopefully this saves someone some aggravation.

Roger2561

Quote from: bobby s on December 27, 2014, 04:32:41 PM
Though my 2300 has been running well and gasifying, I haven't been getting the usual roaring flame in the reaction chamber. While cleaning today, I found one of the wires had come off the lower solenoid. The female disconnect was very loose, so I crimped new ones on and even crimped it again once it was on the solenoid post.

Earlier in the season, I had the same symptoms with more smoke and found the bolt holding the elbow cover had deteriorated and the cover was not lifting up when the fan came on. I replaced the bolt with a 1/4 20 stainless.

Both easy fixes, but learned my lesson that there's a reason if the boiler doesn't seem to be running right.
Hopefully this saves someone some aggravation.

On my E-classic 1400 I had essentially the same problem; the bolt that holds the plate to the solenoid had corroded away, thus not allowing any air into the firebox.  I also took the time to inspect the piece of steel they used as a plate that closes the air flow on the elbow and it too was corroded to the point of failure.  I purchased a piece of stainless steel plate, cut them to fit the elbow openings of all elbows and replaced them all.  I also replaced all of the nuts and bolts that hold the plate to the solenoids with stainless steel.  Roger
Roger

doctorb

Your message is loud and clear.  If it's not running / burning correctly, there's a reason.  Your job is to find it and then solve it.  We are often too quick to blame the fuel or a slight delay in maintenance cleaning, but, when things aren't right, you've got to look for all the problems.  Most are airflow related, in my experience. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!