iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar oil additive

Started by tstex, March 11, 2017, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Hello to all,

I bought some non-brand bar oil, and when it gets hot, seems to lose its viscosity or tackiness.  It runs a lot more than the Stihl bar oil I usually use.  Is there anything that can be cost-effectively added to help "thicken-it"?  I would assume that it has to be added at temperatures that would allow for true mixing/blending to achieve a uniform mixture.

BTW, is there an opinion on what is the best bar oil at the best price/value?

THanks, tstexx

DelawhereJoe

I've found that the TSC bar oil pumps better then the orange jug Stihl oil in my saws. It also wets the chain on my 25" bar , the Stihl does not. HolmenTree uses canola oil in all his saws (I think thats what he said)...but I could be wrong....don't quote me on that.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Bob Rooker

I have used a major brand 10W-30 synthetic blend in my saws for years, with no problems.  Since most of my Stihls have adjustable oil flow over-oiling is not a problem.  For my chainsaws that do not have adjustable oilers I use a good 40 weight or 50 weight, depending on the temperature.  It's all "throw away" so I don't believe it makes much difference what you use except I don't like the thick, sticky bar/chain oil they market because it causes sawdust and dirt to accumulate (sp) and gum things up.  Just my opinion!  ;D

luvmexfood

I use Poulan bar oil that I get at Wally World for 7 something a gallon.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: tstex on March 11, 2017, 07:39:49 PM
Hello to all,

I bought some non-brand bar oil, and when it gets hot, seems to lose its viscosity or tackiness.  It runs a lot more than the Stihl bar oil I usually use.  Is there anything that can be cost-effectively added to help "thicken-it"?  I would assume that it has to be added at temperatures that would allow for true mixing/blending to achieve a uniform mixture.

BTW, is there an opinion on what is the best bar oil at the best price/value?

THanks, tstexx

You could try mixing it 50/50 with summer grade bar oil of a known brand. I used to buy cheap bulk bar oil that was like that, worked OK strait but it stuck to the bar better mixed with regular bar oil.

And as far as brands go, I just buy what I find cheap. If I see it on sale for a good price, I pick up a couple gallons. Don't matter to me what brand, as long as it is labeled bar oil.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

hopm

Local fire department had a fish fry and had 5 gallon of cooking oil left over......i been running it for bar oil for awhile now with no issues. ;D ;D

Kbeitz

I got a 50 gal. of Way oil that I use for my bar oil.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I buy tractor supply on sale. I would buy a case at a time,6 gallons.Best price and works for me. I had about 30 gallons,maybe more at one time. Have not bought any for a while.
Walmart had Poulan on clearance many years ago.Seem like $5 when it was $7 on sale. I could not go by a walmart without going in and checking. I would usually come out with 2-3 gallons.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

joe_indi

Local oil extraction mills have rancid veg oils. It is cheap. I buy this and add 5% kerosene (as a cleaner) and 10% SAE140 oil for getting better anti-fling.

tstex

Thank you very much guys...you have provided some very good information.

I have 2 Stihl 029 Farm Bosses, an 023 and the Stihl pole extension saw...my chainsaw usage is pretty much "binge-usage".  If a tree is down, then I cut away.  Then I go in cycles where no usage for months, then I'll cut-away for a 1/2 of whole day.  Mainly pseudo cedars [junipers[, Yaupon and live oak.

Don't have access to vegetable oil facilities, but I can get all types of oils and have a $100 TSC gift card I need to use.  For full disclosure, I bought the no-name Walmart bar oil,  ??? ??? ??? ???  ok, you can let me have it.  I usually don't do that.

Just had to replace the coil on my older of the two 029's...it was cooking the oil and making it possibly run more, looked like burnt-dark-hot-grease.  Hopefully the new coil and a little thicker oil will wk better, but I agree on the build-up of saw dust from extra tacky b-oil is a PITA,,,esp the pole-saw...that sprocket cover is pretty small and it doesn't take long to get real jammed.

Thanks again guys for all your help and have a safe spring break if this is your week.

tstex

Gearbox

I buy in bulk $ 30 .00 for 5 gal in my 5 pail . The BT6870 processer uses about a 1/2 gal a day . I keep the oil wide open and have bar oil all over me when I get home . I bought a jug of all season last week . It was thick at -5 and turned to water when the saw warmed up . I won't buy that brand next time .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 12, 2017, 09:15:11 AM
Auction perhaps . ;D

Mobil Vactra 2 which is good stuff fetches about 800 a barrel.I think I might have a gallon and a half,for the lathes not the chainsaw.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 12, 2017, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 12, 2017, 09:15:11 AM
Auction perhaps . ;D

Mobil Vactra 2 which is good stuff fetches about 800 a barrel.I think I might have a gallon and a half,for the lathes not the chainsaw.

I worked at a textile factory years ago. When it closed up they could not sell any of the machines or anything. Textile left USA. So I got to take the factory home with me. They wanted it cleaned out so they could sell the building.  I got tons of good stuff and the rest went to the junkyard.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tstex

Kbeitz,

I'd be interested in what you were able to actually take out of the mill?  I bet that was like a gold mine.

If any of those goods are collecting dust and shippable, I'll send my friendly UPS guy by your shops and give you some more floor space...what guy doesn't want more floor space :D :D :D

Thanks,
tstexx

Kbeitz

Quote from: tstex on March 12, 2017, 10:11:49 PM
Kbeitz,

I'd be interested in what you were able to actually take out of the mill?  I bet that was like a gold mine.

If any of those goods are collecting dust and shippable, I'll send my friendly UPS guy by your shops and give you some more floor space...what guy doesn't want more floor space :D :D :D

Thanks,
tstexx

I only had about 4 weeks to clean it out. One room in my barn was stuffed
with new stuff in boxes. I had no idea what it even was. I'm slowly now
going through it all. The best stuff so far is racks of new metal bar stock
and electrical stuff like wire and new gearbox motors and new zero-maxes.
I got rolls of new rope. The one of the thing that was made there. I even got
the forklift and boilers. Just to much stuff. This is just a taste of some of the
stuff that went to the junkyard.

Some of the stuff I kept.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

DANG, no wonder you could build a sawmill for just about nothing.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

I felt bad for the knitting machines. But i had no use for them.
We paid big bucks for them when new.
Off to the junkyard they went...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

HolmenTree

Those knitting machines could help revive an economy for a local community now that Trump is in power, bringing industry back to North America.  ;D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kbeitz

I got boxes of new parts for the Comez knitting machines.
I can't sell them... Heck I can't even give them away.
Textile has left USA. I think in our lifetime Textile is
gone for us.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

It happens .This area at one time had a zillion little machine shops .About mid 90's they fell like dominoes .The stuff sold for about junk prices ,it was mostly manual machines that CNC stuff had  rendered them obsolete .Fact some of them went for less than junk and the scrappers got them .Could be the frame on a Honda or the engine block of a semi by now.Maybe made it to China for all I know .--iron and steel never goes away,it's form just changes depending on what century it is .Which doesn't have a thing to do with bar oil  :D

Kbeitz

Sorry I got off track...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

:D -ain't no big deal,I enjoy it .Probably drives the rest of them batty .Two dumpster divers who should be on American pickers . 8)

Thank You Sponsors!