iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Torque on 066 Muffler Screws?

Started by Mark M, March 09, 2004, 07:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Does anyone know the torque specs for the muffler screws on an 066? I got my modified muffler and would like torque the screws. Anything else I need to know about changing the muffler? Should I use thread lock or anything like that?

Mark

Rocky_J

As far as I know, it's just German specs  for that. With the heat generated in the muffler, I do not believe most thread locking compounds would be very effective. A rather unusual concern, have you had issues with loose mufflers before? I've modified every muffler on every saw I own and have never had an issue with them coming loose after putting them on properly. I've never used any lock-tite or anything else on muffler bolts.

(German specs: Good'n'tite)  ;D

Mark M

Hi Rocky

I'm just used to using a torque wrench when it comes to anything that screws into an engine. The German spec's are what I have it set too now but I thought there was some kind of thread-lock or sealant on the 2 longer screws on the outside.

Mark

Minnesota_boy

I have an Olympic saw that the muffler bolts would work loose on.  I drilled holes across the head of the bolts and ran a tie wire through them.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

oldsaw-addict

I would say the appropriate torque on the bolts of the muffler is where they are tight, but not so tight that they strip the threads on the cylinder.My trick is to tighten the bolts to where the finger cant tighten them any more, then I use a ratchet and tighten them just 1/4 turn more at most and they stay right where I want them.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Corley5

The only experience I've ever had with a Stihl was with an 031.  It was a cutting machine.  Super strong engine but you had to carry a box of bolts and allen wrenches to keep the thing together.  The muffler was always loosening up.  It didn't matter what was done to it and we tried everything.  It would still loosen up.  One of the main reasons I'll never buy a Stihl saw
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mark M

I have heard others talk about screws coming loose and that is why I was asking. I just don't like the idea of not torquing them because not only can you get them too tight but you could also deform the cylinder.

Tom

Mark,
I had the muffler screws on my Husky back out and couldn't keep them tight to save my life.  I took it to the shop and Russell put a wrench on it and tightened it up.  The very same thing I had been doing but his has stayed.  Go figure :-/  I guess some folks just have the touch.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!