iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Another day with on-again, off-again snow flurries!

Didn't get out of the 40's here today!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Sunny weather here and in the low 60's. Put out a tray of sets under an old window frame. The window is 80 years old. A little dirty.  ;) :D :D

Cukes, lettuce, sage, dill......still coming up. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Don't get too anxious, snow again tomorrow and cold. :D :D Had 15" snow in the last one across the river at Carlow. :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Raining hard this morning, but could be snow this afternoon, 40F now. Some places north of here already seeing snow mixed in.

Old Greenhorn

Another strange day yesterday, rained off and on, then some breaks in the clouds, then in late afternoon is got really dark as a storm cell came in and we got clobbered with hail. But hey, it didn't snow! ;D Dropped down to 40 overnight, supposed to hit 50ish today with sun but right now it is partly cloudy. I didn't sleep well last night, just feeling 'off' and it was really dark when I got up at 4am. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Chuck White

We have 38° and snowing like crazy right now!  :snowball:

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

A-z farmer

We are still having march weather in May and it froze again last night .We have had 43 growing degree days so far this year and it has been that since May 1 .Normally we have 160 growing degree days by now but nothing is normal any more .The pears blossomed 2 weeks ago and the apples are in full now but only time will tell .

farmfromkansas

I'm getting really disgusted with this rainy weather.  This is our 3rd day in a row of light rain.  So far we have gotten 1/2".  But it has rained for 3 days!  And the forecast is rain through Saturday.  Have so much work to do, but can't do it, going nuts!  And the last couple days were so cold, felt like i needed to get out my longjohns.  A thin sweatshirt and a flannel shirt, and I was still cold.  Trying to finish my solar kiln, and have it in the shed, but is only 2' inside the east side, and it has light rain getting inside on that end.  I have it all painted but the last 4' on the east end.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

SwampDonkey

Was cold this morning, even though it was 28F, walking in the snow and that snow on your hands off the fir trees making them numb. By 10:00 am I got around the perimeter of 60 acres and changed cloths and dried out my rain suit and gloves on the truck heater and headed back in. By mid afternoon I was getting a little warm in the rain gear, but that cold wind was just a howling. There was 4" of new snow and some spots there was knee deep snow still there from the winter. When I got off the perimeter of the block and started running strips across, it felt a heck of a lot better. Anything for a pay cheque. :D

thecfarm

Oh yea, wind and I do mean wind.
Yes seem like we have days of "rain" like that. Rain for 3 days and get a ½ inch. Well as least it soaks in that way.  ;D  ::) Rains just about enough to keep things wet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Three weeks ago boss was afraid DNR might close the woods for being dry. I said at the time, you won't have to worry about that for quite awhile. :D

thecfarm

Very close to a frost last night, another very close one tonight too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Was 21° and hard freeze two nights ago. Our "warm up" has started, yesterday got to 50 and it stayed above 40° last night with a gentle rain. We needed the rain bad it was getting very dry.

10 day guesstimates dont show any freezing temps so things are looking UP. Lol

SwampDonkey

55F today and that wind a whistling all day long. Nice and sunny though. I seen trees almost at the breaking point. Still wading snow knee deep in thick softwood especially on boundary. A lot less in hardwood, but still white from the last storm.

Jesse Duke

First post here. I'm not real good with technology so it will take a while to figure out how to navigate this. This weather thread looks like a good place to practice. It's raining now but warm. According to forecasters we have a long streak of warm weather ahead of us here in Erie County Pennsylvania, up on Lake Erie. It seems like the seasons start and end later than they used to. Should I be looking for an "introduce yourself" thread around here? This looks like a great place for a guy like me who has lived in the woods for 60 years.

doc henderson

welcome JD.   might add where you are, and other info to your profile so when you post we are reminded.  love to hear more about your hx.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Jeff, The Boss,keeps it simple here. Be polite and you will do fine.
Welcome to the forum.

thecfarm

Rained hard here last night. We can use it. 46°now, low 60's today. No wind!!!

SwampDonkey

Same here, except a little cooler, 40F. Nice to not contend with the darn wind for awhile. :D Suppose to clear later, maybe I will cut a load of wood. :) It was nice in the early evening last night, sitting on the lawn watching and listening to the birds and also the farmers going gang busters cropping. I may put in taters and onions tomorrow, suppose to warm up to 60 and 70's by next Thursday. :)

thecfarm

Yes on the wind part. Sure does dry things out a little too much. Maybe the wind is behind us now.
Sun just came out here!!!
I still have a lot of branches to pick up around here. I have a lot of oak and those trees seem to always drop limbs every time the wind blow.

SwampDonkey

I have a big old white birch, nothing sheds more than a white birch. My uncle hated them for that reason. White pine cones is another matter. Bang bang bang in the mower deck. :D

Skip

Supposed to be 80 here today  :o  freeze couple of days ago . Did get the garden at least .

51cub

52 and light rain here this morning. Supposed to clear up some and go to near 70. Best part is light wind!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Ljohnsaw

Been getting spotty downpours the last couple of days.  Cold front moving in and 2" of snow predicted at my cabin project ::) later today.  Up to 16" at Donner Pass.  Crazy weather!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!