iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini Li-Ion car starters

Started by Downstream, December 29, 2017, 10:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I did a search to see if this had been discussed and found nothing so here I go.  I have been interested in these small Li-Ion car starters shown everywhere for less that $100.  Seems like a good idea if they work well for multiple uses.  Does anyone here actually have one and had success with it starting their vehicle and other uses.  Reviews seem pretty good except for periodic bad ones from the factory on units from multiple companies even harbor freight.  Curious to hear your comments.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

barbender

I've seen some local mechanics start cars with stone dead batteries with one. I was impressed, I think theirs was a Matco unit.
Too many irons in the fire

clearcut

I tried a cheap one, about $30, and was not impressed. Could not start a car with a very old, completely flat battery in moderate weather. The car did crank, but would not turn over. It did take  several minutes of charging with large gauge jumper cables to get the nice lady next door going though.

Not a fair test, but life isn't fair. It was the only opportunity I have had to try it out so far. A more expensive unit would likely work better.

My lead-acid jump starter has successfully worked a number of times. These portable units are great when the dead battery is difficult to reach with cables.

Also consider that Li-Ion batteries do not like either very cold or hot conditions.

It does work great for charging electronics when the power goes out, which was really the reason I bought a cheap one.

BESTEK 600 amp peak current, 10,000 mAh jump starter.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Claybraker

I've got one, but so far I've only used it to start toys- my Polaris UTV  and lawnmower.

DR Buck

I have one.   I did a lot of research before I bought.  I wanted something that could start a diesel engine if needed.   My skid steer sometimes is difficult in the winter.

From my research I found Noco to be one of the most reliable and had lots of 5 star plus reviews all over the internet.   Starting amps is the key driver for price range.  They have a 1000 amp unit for $99 on Amazon.   As I said, I wanted to start a diesel engine so I opted for the bigger 2000 amp unit.  It was $199.   They also have one that is 4000 amp starting current.   It was out of my price range.   I have used mine several times and really like it.      Twice was starting my skid steer and it worked well.

Here is what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B016UG6PWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514574743&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+genius+2000A
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

gspren

What is the expected life of these things with only occasional use?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

starmac

Mine is called a rescue pack. I originally got it to carry in case a battery went bad on a four wheeler when out in the back country. You could even put this little thing in your pocket.
I have used it on a pickup a few times, even one that he battery had gone bad and would not even turn a light in the dash on.
For such a dinky thing, it is amazing what it will do.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

DR Buck

Quote from: gspren on December 29, 2017, 04:06:33 PM
  What is the expected life of these things with only occasional use?

Lithium Ion batteries have a very long shelf life and are pretty rugged.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Kbeitz

My brotherinlaw has one made by Snap on... He loves it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!