iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I got up at 2:30 this morning and went for my occasional nightly walk (to the bathroom) :D , I stopped to check the temperature on the indoor/outdoor thermometer in the kitchen, it was -26°f.

Right now, it's -16°f, good thing the wind isn't blowing, and I don't have anything that needs to be done outside!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

346xp

I had -25* at 4am now its -11* and the wind is calm for a change

thecfarm

FarmingSawyer,Come inland more,just about still here,so far. Good thing at -6 now. Was -12 in the night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warped

Quote from: Chuck White on January 08, 2015, 08:01:52 AM
I got up at 2:30 this morning and went for my occasional nightly walk (to the bathroom) :D , I stopped to check the temperature on the indoor/outdoor thermometer in the kitchen, it was -26°f.

Right now, it's -16°f, good thing the wind isn't blowing, and I don't have anything that needs to be done outside!

That's cold, I don't care what the temp is where I'm at, it's always colder in Saranac Lake anytime of the year. It was -31 on the news around half an hour ago, 8:00.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Sawyer697

Right now, the sun has come up and it is @0. We had wind last night. Yes it is cold, but this to will change! :snowball:
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

Warped

It's so cold here I just saw a democrat go by with his hands in his own pockets! :D :D

mesquite buckeye

63 and not so sunny. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Buckshot00

curdog

7 degrees and sunny this morning.  At least the wind died down.

Jim_Rogers

I really couldn't read the outside thermometer very well this morning outside my mother's house but it was at least 2 or 4 below.
The thermometer outside the shop is in the sun and it's say 20 when I last looked at it, yea right.
The one I can read is right here next to my desk. It says it's 20° here in the shop/office. Hard to type with gloves on.... ;D :D
I was here it almost 11:30 last night and put several big pieces of wood in the stove to hopefully last all night so it would be nice in here this morning, no such luck.

Jim Rogers (the sun feels good)
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Warped

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 08, 2015, 09:27:32 AM
I really couldn't read the outside thermometer very well this morning outside my mother's house but it was at least 2 or 4 below.
The thermometer outside the shop is in the sun and it's say 20 when I last looked at it, yea right.
The one I can read is right here next to my desk. It says it's 20° here in the shop/office. Hard to type with gloves on.... ;D :D
I was here it almost 11:30 last night and put several big pieces of wood in the stove to hopefully last all night so it would be nice in here this morning, no such luck.

Ya know, ya could just work three shifts. Think about it, three paid twenty minute lunches. Now get that overtime!  8)

isawlogs

Enough said with the pic.    :snowball:     :new_year:  08 01 2015

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Warped on January 08, 2015, 10:07:19 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 08, 2015, 09:27:32 AM

Ya know, ya could just work three shifts. Think about it, three paid twenty minute lunches. Now get that overtime!  8)

I was thinking that if I woke up to take that short walk to the bathroom, I'd put some wood in the stove, and keep it going all night. But staying up that late, it didn't happen.

Jim Rogers
PS. cooking good now up to 36° at my desk.

SwampDonkey

Still -5F here with full sun. It was -15F this morning.  :snowball:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wwsjr

6° in NE MS this morning, cold for this area. High of 30° predicted for today, low 20s, high 40's next few days. Yesterday afternoon temp was 15° with wind chill 0°. We are not really prepared for these low temps.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

thecfarm

Heading down to the mailbox and get the paper. If I'm not back in 10 minutes, come look for me. Really doubt I'll get sidetracked at 2 above.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: thecfarm on January 08, 2015, 11:41:59 AM
Heading down to the mailbox and get the paper. If I'm not back in 10 minutes, come look for me. Really doubt I'll get sidetracked at 2 above.  ;)

No work today?

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: isawlogs on January 08, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

Man, that is cold for August. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Jim,no work today. The store will have to survive without me.  :D  My days vary that I have off. The schedule goes out 2 weeks at a time. If anyone needs a day off,your name goes on the calendar and the boss works around it. Not bad,really. And I have to work weekends,but I have done that for 25 years,no big deal. My next day off is Tuesday.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on January 08, 2015, 08:36:31 AM
FarmingSawyer,Come inland more,just about still here,so far. Good thing at -6 now. Was -12 in the night.
I hovered around the farm until it warmed up to -7˚ then headed out.....Went towards the coast and I was right, it warmed up....-5˚ when I hit the woods. After a little while working in the sun I had to take a layer off...... by lunch time it was 0˚ By the time I was ready to move on it has warmed up to 5˚......Down below zero now the sun has set.

All in all I love working in this weather. With no wind and plenty of sunshine the woods are beautiful, and passersby don't stop to chat with ya.....

Skidded out a decent junk of cedar today in around 3 hours with the ole Suburban......

Then I went on a walk by the shore with an older couple to see some cherry and applewood they want me to take down..... Minus weather separates the doers from the wannabes......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

red oaks lumber

minus weather dosen't seperate anyone ,if your job requires you to be outside then you have to be outside. if i didn't have to work outside in this cold i wouldn't ;) the same in hot weather.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

isawlogs

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 08, 2015, 12:24:19 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on January 08, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

Man, that is cold for August. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

Just  for you mon ami....   le 8 janvier 2015.    :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Marcell,

The glaciers are thickening. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

I think it's interesting that at -40° Marcel's thermometer doesn't care if it's Centigrade or Fahrenheit outside.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Heatwave,15° this morning. Maybe a few iches of snow this morning,but temps will be warmer for a few days now.

Thank You Sponsors!