iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bearings for roller guides

Started by ozarkgem, July 28, 2016, 08:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Dang it!  I read this thread last night. Thhought it was a good idea to check my rollers.   

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Banjo picker

I think you are gona have to replace that.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I always keep a roller guide bearing kit in my toolbox.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Ordered the bearing kit and a new roller assembly so I too will have a spare in my tool box.  I'm slowly building my supply of backup wear parts and the knowledge to check them on a periodic basis.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

esteadle

Quote from: ozarkgem on July 28, 2016, 08:08:22 PM
I am having a terrible time keeping bearings in my roller guides. I have replaced them many times. I have one that has  a grease zerk. maybe lasted 40 hrs. I replaced the bearing 2 days ago and already growling. The other has sealed bearings. One set lasted about 3 hrs. I am looking for a good quality bearing to use. Does anyone have a source. I may need a different # than what I am using. I have 3 different styles and non of them seem to last.
Try the Cooks Saw bearings: 
Roller guides for portable sawmill and resaws
A pair for less than 15 bucks is worth a try, and these Cooks guys build sawmills for a living, so you know those bearings are meant for sawing at speed. 
But... 40 hours out of a bearing, even a crappy low speed bearing, is not much at all. Are your Zerk bolts clear and allowing grease to flow into the bearing? There's a little slot for the grease to flow into the bearing races and when you press the bearing onto your bolt, you want to line that up with the outlet hole in the bolt. Are your roller guides adjusted properly? The bearings aren't spinning off axis, right? And they are parallel to each other? Nothing loose and moving back and forth as the blade goes around? 
Lube is not going to ruin a bearing in 2 days or 40 hours... you'd have to be dripping Muriatic acid to ruin a bearing that fast, and I still don't think you could do it. 

Banjo picker

My mill has the Cooks Mega bearings on it.  They have 1000 hours on them and still doing fine. They are the greaseable bearings.  I have not tried their sealed ones.  The only draw back from having the mega bearings on the mill is that it cuts down 2 inches of distance between the rollers.  I can get 28 inches between my rollers, and if I run the little ones I can get 30 inches between them on the AC 36.  I run diesel as lube.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

CCCLLC

The china Peer bearings that failed at 40 hours of sawmill run-time, both failed in similar way. The steel shielding on the backside of the rollers came loose and out. These are the R8 ZZ installed by WM in new guides. Drive side bearing shield was in pieces and idle side had released from bearing and was slowing enlarging inside diameter. Also distroyed felt. Using Lucas red tack grease for bearings. Grease zerks are clear and the 1/2" bolts with zerks are in good shape. Measuerd to be .495". Alinement good. Inner steel shieds were removed and inner race had a slit for grease entry to rollers all done by WM.
  Maybe to much grease? I give each guide roller a half pump while warm at end of day. Previous bearing life was always satisfactory, usually 500 hours plus. China, Peer and steel shielding are the only difference this time. R8 rs bearings now installed rated for 30,000 RPM.

JB Griffin

Those peer brand bearings that wm and others use now are JUNK. Koyo is where its at, sealed no grease = ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

CCCLLC

CCCLLC

gmmills

Truly unfortunate that WM has chosen to use the Peer branded bearings in many applications throughout their sawmills. The Peer products are totally junk. They may spec out externally exactly the same but that is where the comparison ends. I have also experienced short Peer bearing life in guide roller application.  I have been buying my R8 replacement bearings from McMaster-Carr. They are Koyo branded. These bearings hold up for many hours of service. WM will only sell the guide roller as a complete assembly. Would love to be able to purchase just the roller shell and install my own quality bearings. The bearing brand that WM previously used prior to the change to Peer were extremely durable. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

JB Griffin

Local place can order em in. Not a stock brand cause people don't won't to pay for quality. 
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Pabene

For the guide rollers you need good bearings, good lubrication and to keep the environment around the bearings free from dirt. Depending on the roller diameter and blade speed you have often a roller rpm so high that oil is reccomended in the bearings data book. If grease is used you have to select the best, Klyber Isoflex LDS 18 or similary. Grease will result in more heat in the rollers, to much grease will overheat the bearings. In my opinion, a small amount of oil in the rollers and good bearings (SKF, FAG, NSK) is the way to go for long trubble free service. If the temperature fluctuations is reduced the seals will last longer. If the cavity between the bearings could have a tube for pressure equalizing from a dry and clean place, it would be even better.

Thank You Sponsors!