iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Tracked Skidder and Grapple Log Trailer.

Started by Coon, May 27, 2009, 11:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Well as some of you may know I like to build my own equipment that is suited for my needs.  I am back at it again with attempt number two. 

On the first attempt to build a tracked skidder I got part ways through the building process when two things happened.  First of all we moved to a different place where I didn't have the room for all my parts and to build and it was a rented place.  I have my own now.  Second, the unit I was building was ending up way too big and bulky for what I needed and wanted. Well here goes number two....

Keep in mind the majority of this unit is being built from recycled materials. 

These two above pictures show what will be the frames of both the skidder and the log trailer.  The red material is all from an old field cultivator and is 3x3 box beam 3/16 wall

Here is the start of the frame for the skidder.  The frame still has to be lengthened but the material is cut and ready to be welded.  The frame is only 24 inches wide and 96 inches long because the overall size of the unit will be just over 108" long and between 54 and 60 inches wide with the tracks and blade on.

Up until yesterday I could not do any welding because I have no power source for my old arc welder as of yet.  I went out and borrowed a friends 2 month old Hobart mig.  It has the capability for welding with gas but for now he doesn't have any.  No problem just use flux cored wire and give lots of penetration.  ;)

This is my powertrain for the unit.  It is a H4 "Boxer" Subaru engine with front wheel drive differential that pushes about 70 hp or so.  I have the drive axles for the unit as well.  They will be shortened and run the drive chains to the front drive sprockets.  I also have to put a custom braking system on it as it will be the source of steering.  Each side will have its own brake.

This last picture shows the basic  layout of the grapple log trailer.  Again the frame is only 24 inches wide but it has 120 inches of bunk space and another 24 inches to the hitch where the grapple will go.  The footprint of this unit will be the same width as the skidder so that it follows in the same tracks.

More progress to come later.  I do not know how much will get done today as I have a few other things on my plate but I am sure there will be some.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

Brad
Good to see you back inventing again.
What skidder will this trailer follow, as you indicated you stopped your development of the skidder project?

Look forward to seeing this project unfold.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADAMINMO

It will follow the one he is building. He stopped building the one cause it was to big and bulky. Now he is gonna down scale some and try a 2nd one.

Coon

Adam is correct.  The other skidder that I was building was way to big and bulky for the select cutting that I do.  The first skidder would have ended up having to high of a ground pressure which is another of my main concerns.  Much of the area that I will be logging is virgin forest per se and I would like to leave it as close to what it is now as I can. 

I have not made a whole lot of progress today but did make some and will make some more yet.  Pics will follow after dark tonight. 

woodbowl

I'm looking forward to seeing this being built. Looks like a good start.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Coon

Well now.  I didn't get a whole lot done on the project today.  Blame it all on my banker.  :D  She kept me tied up for a good while with good results in my favour.   8)  Any how back to business....  I managed to get the frame cut and started to weld in the extensions.  Only got one pic though.

Brad.

thecfarm

Going to get built ALOT cheaper than buying a skidder and log,grapple trailer.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nas

keep up all the pictures.  I want one too, and I don't follow instructions well.  Pictures work better for me. :)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Sprucegum

Nice work  8) Ya oughtta take the pictures before dark though  ;)  :D

Coon

The only time I have to take pictures is after dark though. ;)  :D  I am too busy building otherwise. ;D

sjfarkas

I want to see lots of pics.  I've found that rarely can you buy anything that suits your needs 100% so you either buy and modify or build from scratch.  I am curious on what kind of tracks you're going to use.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Coon

Well the tracks will be homemade too.  ;)  My problem came in with the ground pressure I log in a very sensitive area as mentioned before.

Time for the daily progess report.  Not a whole lot accomplished today other than a bunch of choice (maybe not so choice) words and a bit of tack welding.  I FINALLY managed to get the engine crossmember tacked into place.  When I stripped the car that the powertrain came out of  I took it out with the crossmember attached for this kind of use.  Being all shaped and bent for the car that it came from I really had no square points that I could use for measuring from to narrow it up.  It did however have one bolt hole in the center of the front side.  I used this and proceeded to mark it out and cut it.  Yup, as you have probably guessed I cut it out of square.  I tack welded and ground and cut and tacked again and so forth enough times that the words began to flow like the Mississippi. :o  I though, was bound and determined for it not to beat me.  It never.  i can just imagine what the neighbours were thinking as they were shaking their heads. ::) I know my mrs. came out to check what was going on a couple of times and left right quick without saying anything.  I think she finally knows better not poke fun at a viscious dog that's already raging mad.

Here's some pics of the progress.

blame

i dont know if i'd want that cross member welded down  . hate for you to have to remove the engine to change the oil  pan 

Modat22

Looks like you and I work on things the same way.

Start working on it and go till you ether fall down or the wife screams at you to get in the house.
remember man that thy are dust.

Coon

That crossmember needs to be welded in.  I can remove the oil pan by removing the two motor mount bolts and lift the engine a couple of inches.

Modat I think you best come up north and give me a hand with this project.  There is not enough hours in the day. ;)  :D  I could even ship the wife off somewhere if we had to. :o  :D

Brad.

Modat22

My wife gets so mad when she learns that I'm dreaming up something. I'm wishing you well on this one. Keep those photos coming.
remember man that thy are dust.

Coon

I don't know how much I will get done in the next while.  Today will be the last full day that I am home.  I have got to go back to work for another 10 night shifts before I get 5 days off.  Got a few things to do again today but I am sure that I can squeeze some project time in.   It's kinda like art or shop class in school if ya know what I mean ;) :) :D

woodmills1

I can tell this thread is gonna have long legs...nice work so far
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

FYI, I have owned,.............maybe 8-10 different Subaru's (usually 4x4 wagons, Loyals and their predecessors), I did once kinda screw up a tranny (made it way sloppy) by dragging a fully loaded 6 boat canoe trailer (3000+ lbs) up and out of a summer camp road on the Yough River here in Pa. The road was soooo steep and rocky it was hard to walk up at times. The group leaders Rover broke down so I offered to get them to the boat launch, MISTAKE. After realizing the weigh I was dragging I had to keep it in 4 wheel low the whole way (4 miles or so) to the launch. It still lasted for years but that little stunt must have shortened the life of the tranny.

The only other issue I ever had was the output shaft on one side of the tranny (to the front wheels), the seal went out and I scattered gear lube out (unseen at highway speeds) until the tranny froze up. Other than that beat the $%^& out of them and generally used them as true "utility" vehicals for years, any weather any temp, go go go. Even drug logs and brush for my Granny like it was a tractor .

Sold our last Subaru about 3 months ago (three kids make it tight) already miss that "family".

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Coon

One last set of pics before I go back to work tomorrow.  I also got a few questions.

I got a bunch of welding accomplished along with a bit of cutting and some more welding.  I had to cut and remanufacture the first crossbeam to accept the transmission.  Here's the progress.

I still have to cut and weld in a piece accross the bottom for reinforcement as well as act as the transmission mount. 

Next thing on the agenda with the project is to temporarily install the engine and transmission on to the frame to take a few measurements.  If everything mounts up good I should not have to remove this powertrain and just keep on assembling till I get it built.

On to the questions.  This project needs a hydraulic system.  I do have some of the components I will need but there are others that I will need to find or buy. Here's where I am at.

The engine is a Fujii (Subaru) 1.4L H4 "Boxer" engine that puts out 58hp @5200 RPM and 68 lb-ft (92 N-m) @  2400 RPM. 

I have a 4 spool valve bank set up w/ pressure relief set at 2500 psi.

Spool 1.  Blade up/down cylinders ( two cylinders)
Spool 2.  Up/Down Hitch System
Spool 3.  Winch/ Quick couplers to run accessories.
Spool 4.   Quick Couplers to run accessories.

Now I guess what my question is is: What do I need for a pump?  I would like to run at about 2500 psi. How many gallons per minute would I need.  Single stage or two stage?  Keep in mind that I will be running the grapple system on the log trailer off of this pump as well.  I will just run it off of one of the quick couplers. 

The sooner I figure out the pump setup the sooner I can start looking to see if I have one or have to buy. In this part of the country most of the time I can find what I need off of old farm equipment and such.  Sometimes I can get them for simply taking them off.  There is so many parts around that will never be used again that it makes me want to puke. Hence why I am using nearly all recycled materials.

Brad.

FTD

What year and model did the powertrain come out of?

I knew a guy that made a log splitter out of the PS pump off a big rig.  Why not use the existing PS drive off the crankshaft to run your hyd.?  That engine will make plenty of Hp to run any pump.

Coon

Well first off the power steering pump will in no way be large enough.  These cars did not have much of a pump on them and it got punted into the bush when I stripped the car.

The powertrain came out of a '73 Subaru 1400 DL.  The car had low miles on it and was in an accident that bent the frame.  The car was also pretty much rusted out. 

Off to work I go.  Will check in from time to time if the motel still has wireless.

Brad.

Chico

Looking Good Nothing more satisfying than doing a project and when you finish it actually looks and does what it did in your head ;)
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ironwood

1973  :o :o :o, I thought they didn't arrive on our shores until the late 70's? My first was a 1600 or 1800 (I think) was a 1981 w/ a vaccum hose to lift a lid on a "passing light" in the center of the grill.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sjfarkas

Would a similar setup be a small excavator w/blade a grapple on the end of the boom.  weld a receiver hitch to the top of the blade and hook a trailer to that.  Then you could put the blade down to load the logs.  The tracks would give you the low ground pressure. The only down fall is that you wouldn't have a blade in front.  It seems with 10' logs that you could use a 10k excavator.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but my mind wonders when I here about a great idea.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Thank You Sponsors!