iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying a tree

Started by Full Circle, September 18, 2012, 09:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Circle

I did a pre-milling site visit just north of me (Mid-Hudson Valley, New York) and the homeowner and I can't identify one of the trees slated for removal and potential milling.  I thought of the mystery tree last week and asked the homeowner if he would like me to put a few pictures on the forum to see if we could get some help.  He graciously supplied the below pictures.

A little background:  the home was built in in the early 1800's (if I remember correctly) and originally served as a gatehouse to a large estate.  The tree is fairly close to the house, leading me to believe it may have been planted as an ornamental.  I have much to learn about tree identification, but more importantly, it would be nice for my customer if we can figure out what he's got.  Thanks for looking.

The bark has large, flat, thick plates

-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like some kind of White Pine to me.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Given where you are located, it is probably red pine, Pinus resinosa.  The needles should be in bundles of twos.  White pine will have needles in bundles of five.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=110
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

No way white pine with cones that small this time of year. They are about 4 inches long now. I think WDH is right. I have some on my land,but in the woods and not all that old. The bark is no wheres near as rough. I sawed some out for my veggie shark. Not happy with the way the 8X8's twisted when I put them up. I sawed out an 3X8 and that would make a great ski.I went back to hemlock.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

I'm with WDH  I believe Red Pine,
Count the needles, will confirm

DGDrls former Poughkeepsie-ite. ;)

thecfarm

Poughkeepsie,I really like that place. One main street,everything on the left or right. Drove around in the old part too. Did not like the walking bridge.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

..Farm  you mean the old RR crossing just north of the Mid-Hudson Bridge?

Was an old crossing when I was there, some clown from King of Prussia, PA made a claim it belonged to him.
The RR should of said fine take it,  along with all the headaches.

I haven't been back in over 20 years. 

DGDrls

thecfarm

ayup. I suppose the city ? made it into a walking bridge. That is some HIGH and LONG. Seem like 14 feet wide too.

Axe Handle Hound

I say Austrian pine.  The bark just isn't right for red pine. 

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on September 18, 2012, 10:23:14 PM
I say Austrian pine.  The bark just isn't right for red pine.

That is what I concluded too, before seeing you say this. It is an ornamental, so that seems likely. It is not a native species. If it is unusual for your area, then this is a neat tree to add to your list of species you have milled, and I will be curious to hear how the lumber turns out.

2 needles per bundle, 3-6" needles, cones 2-3".
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Full Circle

Thanks for the replies.
Not many admit their from Poughkeepsie, DgDris. ;D  They were building the "walkway over the Hudson," as it's called, during the "crash" of 2008.  Made me scratch my head a bit at the time.  Anyway, I'm about ten miles east of there.  There are even a few farms (or, at least, pastures) left around me, here.

As far as the tree, I was thinking red pine, but, like Axe Handle said, the plates and fissures aren't like any red pine I've worked with.  Some were bigger diameter than this, but not yard trees.  Could a yard tree be that different than a forest grown tree as far as the bark is concerned?  The red pines I milled had bark that looks more like the bark on the surface of the plates in the picture.  We'll get a good look at the needles, though.  I'll have to look up Austrian Pine.

Thanks again.  Next time anybody's in Poughkeepsie, let me know!   
-Roy

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

beenthere

QuoteNext time anybody's in Poughkeepsie, let me know!

I was there the summer of '62, heading for the Harvard Black Rock Forest just north of West Point.
Studying some forest trees fertilized in the 30's. Still remember the train ride along the Hudson and the white '62 Chevy Impala convertible that I rented for a couple weeks.
8)

If you are cutting that tree, a count of the rings for age would be great. I'd guess it was planted within the last 50 years, and could be a scotch pine ( or similar ornamental). Seems the nursery's were pedaling them in the 50's and 60's.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Bark is too gray for red pine, should be reddish. Also, not all that great of a form for red pine. But then again that hardwood is putting a hurt on it to. Probably Austrian. Scots would have orangey bark and short needles.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Quote from: Full Circle on September 18, 2012, 11:20:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Not many admit their from Poughkeepsie, DgDris. ;D  They were building the "walkway over the Hudson," as it's called, during the "crash" of 2008.  Made me scratch my head a bit at the time.  Anyway, I'm about ten miles east of there.  There are even a few farms (or, at least, pastures) left around me, here.

As far as the tree, I was thinking red pine, but, like Axe Handle said, the plates and fissures aren't like any red pine I've worked with.  Some were bigger diameter than this, but not yard trees.  Could a yard tree be that different than a forest grown tree as far as the bark is concerned?  The red pines I milled had bark that looks more like the bark on the surface of the plates in the picture.  We'll get a good look at the needles, though.  I'll have to look up Austrian Pine.

Thanks again.  Next time anybody's in Poughkeepsie, let me know!

I think it's Red Pine.

The overall shape of the tree is that of Red Pine, but it could be something else.

A yard tree is subject to lots of abuse, by someone backing a vehicle into it, mowing close to it, NAILS, kids hacking on it with their little hatchets, the list is almost endless.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

My thought was a pitch pine.  It could be a volunteer from an earlier time. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chep

I guess Jack pine. Pinus banksiana... what its not: White pine, Scots pine, sweetgum ;D

Jack pines cones have spikes. you cannot squeeze one in your hand.
Red pines needles snap when you bend them
Austrian pines needles will not snap, they will bend right back to their original form

good luck, let us know

Okrafarmer

The several sources I looked at said that Austrian pine is often mistaken for red pine, but I am still holding onto Austrian, based on the bark. Get a hold of those needles, and see if they break off crisply. If they do, it's red pine. As far as I know, no other pine in New York will do that. If they don't break off clean, I still vote for Austrian.

Jeff

My bet would be Austrian. It has very poor form for Red. We see a lot of red pine plantations around here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clww

My guess is Austrian or Pitch Pine. We have gobs of these gnarly looking examples up in our mountains of VA.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

Pitch pine has needles in three. Red pine needles break cleanly, but are also finely  serrated (serrulate).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Full Circle

Sorry for the gap in responding....didn't have time this morning and just got to sit in front of the computer now.

Thanks to all for the input.  Sounds like the needles will be a key to identification.  I'll send a link to this thread to the homeowner.  He's familiar with the forum and will appreciate all of the feedback.  Since a tree company will be dropping the trees, he'll have to either be there or ask them to save him a branch with needles.  Otherwise the branches will all end up in the chipper and we'll never be sure.

Thank you, again.
-Roy

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff, Bear in mind that Michigan and the other lake states grow probably the best Red pine in the USA.
I have seen yard trees that I swear are Red pine that look that bad.
Also, I have seen RP here in NY on poor soils that look like the bark in the pic.
Cheers pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Too Big To Fail

howdy neighbor,
I'm just a bit west of you, over "the gunks" off of 209.  I've heard that called pitch pine, but maybe that's more of a general term. ?

Thank You Sponsors!