Snow

Started by Bruno of NH, December 17, 2020, 07:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Forecasted for 3 to 6 inches 
We got 42"
The plow wasn't on the truck.
Big Bob's getting a work out.
It will take 2 days to dig the mill yard out.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Stay safe and be careful to everybody back East being affected 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

woodroe

Geez, 42 " ,that  isn't even funny.  Good luck with digging all that out.
I'd have trouble digging half that out with my tractor.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

SawyerTed

Wow!  42" that would be a disaster here!  

Stay safe, stay warm and be careful!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bruno of NH

I wish I had a dozer  :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

woodroe

Sounds like one for the snowfall record books.
Never seen anything like that here in 60 years.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

woodroe,That must of been back in '69?  I was only 8 years old and I was having fun climbing on top of the shed roof and jumping off into the snow.
A couple feet will slow things down here. Had one of those storms and an hour drive home turned into 2 hours.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Went to bed one night in March when they were calling for 6", seemed to be about that on the ground, same thing - didn't bother with putting the plow on.  Woke up in the morning had over 30" - driveway was 1/2 mile long.  Managed to get my truck out to the road but could not get it back in to get the plow, ended up riding my Ski-Doo in and out for 6 weeks.  

Good luck there Bruno!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Bruno keep us posted on the nasty situation. Stay safe 👍

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, snow like this has a way of slowing production a bit. ;D We only got about 18" but its hard to tell with all the wind we had, maybe more, who cares? All I know is I got to work on it at 6am and didn't quite until 4pm for just my two driveways and down past the shop, a path to the shop from the house, paths to the storage sheds, clearing the fronts of those and the beginning of paths to the wood racks.
 I have to finish the paths to the wood racks tomorrow, trim up other works, and repair the wood rack covers that collapsed under the snow load. Gonne be another wet cold day for this old guy tomorrow. By 8pm, I felt like it was midnight, and after I do the house and shop stoves, I am headed to bed.
 Bruno, I feel for ya man, but we don't exactly live in the sunbelt.
 Every time we get snow like this, I think of the winter of '93 (referred to in our house as "the winter from Hell") and I had a cousin in Texas who asked "I don't get it, why do you have to plow it, why don't you just let it melt like we do?" So I went out with a buddy between blizzards and a video camera and just shot video of houses with 4' icicles covering the front of the house, folks up on their rooves with snow blowers, road intersections where you could see no oncoming traffic because the plow berms were 15' high, and I sent it off to her. She called me when she got it and just said 'Nevermind'.  :D :D :D :D
 Hang in there Bruno, it will melt. ;D (Today, I wish I had a dozer too.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Greenhorn between that water problem and snow you have had your hands full 🙄

Southside

OG - My wife grew up for the most part outside of Colorado Springs.  She moved to Maine and didn't understand that once the ground turns white, it stays white until some years May.  Of course growing up I had never heard of such a place where the snow melted during the winter.  That would wreck havock on the trails and what a mess ice fishing would be!!  

Now down here if the weather man even says the "S word" - EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING including the active duty bases close down for days on end.  Different worlds! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

We've got the cold, but no snow to speak of yet. The lake has 3" of ice and we are hoping after tonight we might get to go skating tomorrow or saturday.
Good luck Bruno!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 17, 2020, 09:03:04 PM
Greenhorn between that water problem and snow you have had your hands full 🙄
Nah, not really. It's just all part of the game. You play the hand you are dealt. No big deal, just takes more time is all.
SS, the Springs are kind of dear to my heart, what a wonderful place and so many treasures there, Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Seven falls, and many dozens of other things that bring one joy, and the weather is remarkable. I think if I added up all the days I spent visiting and tramping around there, it would probably add up to 3 weeks or so. My Brother was married in the Springs in 1967 and that was my first visit for a week, could not wait to get back and see more. I have stories, but another time. In fact, I have a photo on the wall near my desk that I took of Seven Falls at night around 1976, it took second place in a photo contest I entered it in, but no matter it is still one of my favorites and has been on the wall a long time.
New England, OTOH is 'different'. 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding is what my Vermont family likes to say. I never understood why Upstate NY is not considered part of new England. Heck our local city here (Kingston) was burned by the Brits during the early days of the war for independence and it served as the Capitol, of NYS for a while during the war. True that most of the settlers were Dutch with a few Germans thrown in but still. But, as usual, I digress.
We were talking about snow in NH.
BTW, every time I hear somebody say "look at all the SNOW! Isn't it SO pretty?" I want to punch them in the throat, is that a bad thing?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Dang, you guys got walloped!! We are having an unusual winter...no snow on the ground, the lakes have nice clear ice on them. One phenomenon that I have seen pictures of is people are seeing all the turtles underwater through the ice. People think they are trapped, but they hibernate under the ice🤷🏽‍♂️ Sorry you guys are having to dig out of that much!
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that is a load of snow. :o  That'll keep a man busy for a few hours if he has a lot of stuff to dig out.

Winter 2008 here was a bad one, never any huge storms, but lots and lots of them and real cold. Nov1 to May 1 2 storms a week it seemed. 8 feet of snowfall. The robins faced 4 feet of snow when they arrived. Year before we never had any snow at all. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

We got lucky I guess, in northern Vermont. At my house in Danville, we got maybe 5", which was 4 more than I expected. Where I work in Eden sugaring (consistently gets dumped on with snow every year, 4-6ft, we had a foot two weeks ago) we got an inch up there. 
Not that I wish it upon anyone, I have to deal with large snow amounts pretty regularly, I'm glad we didn't get anymore than we did. Still tapping without snowshoes.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

A-z farmer

Wow Bruno that is a big wallop of snow .Bee safe digging all the white stuff out.
Thecfarm I remember that storm here in New York in 1969 we had to dump our milk for a few days because the milk tanker could not get to us .But I can remember finally seeing the Walters sno fighters 
With the v plows coming to plow our roads .So years later I bought those two trucks just to have .What I did not realize was that those old gas trucks used gallons of gas per mile and my attraction to them soon went away after buying the gas for them .

Ed_K

We were between the 2 snow bands that hit eastern N.Y. and the band Bruno got hit with. I heard on the news that N.Y. got 42" and you read bruno's. We only got 19" but that was enough to keep Rita busy on the deck and walkways and me on the Landini/ snowplow. I ended up cleaning drive twice.
Ed K

Peter Drouin

42" here too. Lucky I have a 1044 lull I can put a 5yard bucket on. 
Can't move the snow with the GMC 3500 with a 9' plow. ::) :D :D
Then I can start with the roofs I have. :D :D :D My poor back. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

curved-wood

Bruno and Peter have stolen all the snow !  :) Nothing here,  zero , bare ground,  but cold

PoginyHill

A light dusting in northern Vermont. Thankful only because maybe the ground will freeze before we get an insulating snow pack. Last year we started with snow, THEN the cold weather. Makes for a snowy, muddy mess.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

chevytaHOE5674

Seems strange its 2/3 of the way thru December and the east coast has piles of snow and in snow central UP here we have maybe 3" on the ground. 

Thank You Sponsors!