iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Internet Service

Started by Sixacresand, July 31, 2015, 02:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

One of the perks of living rural, where you don't see or hear year nearest neighbors is that you don't get the services that the urban folks take for granted like water, sewage, cable, natural gas and internet.   In the last year we lost landline internet service due to lightning strike to buried cable.  The company said it was not worth it to rebury a new line.  so we took on a cell phone company's internet service.  It work for a few months now it is hit and miss and very slow when hitting.  It seems heat and forest retard cell data service.  I miss reading FF post and photos but just don't have the patience to wait for them to load.  So when I am at home I will be out of internet range.  But I will catch up when I go to McDonalds where there is good WIFI. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sprucebunny

I use cellular internet, too. The first company's service worked for a couple of years and then it didn't work as well. They kept trying to blame it on me or my equipment, the leaves, tourists.... I changed to a different provider and it works again.

I'm not sure but I think the first company was no longer the "A" on the tower; their lease ran out or whatever. The second company (that works) is on the same tower. So you may get better reception with a different provider.

Then again, I can see the tower from my house, if your tower is further away it may not make much difference.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Bruno of NH

I have cell internet it works great for me but cost more .
The only other option would be satilte service .
Jim Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

luvmexfood

I have two options for Internet service. Dial-up or get a satellite service.

On a good day I can connect via dial-up @26.4kbs. To slow to connect to yahoo mail, and many other service anymore. On a rainy day my connection my drop down to 8kbs. Forget that. Forget calling Verizon. They schedule landline repair usually 3-4 days out when the sun is shinning. Between those times they hound you to death with robo calls wanting to know if they still need to come or is it working ok. Water getting into main cable out on the road and like you say. They don't want to replace a major cable for just a few people.

Been considering satellite but just not sure about the reliability and hate the thoughts of another monthly bill.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

tmarch

We tried satellite and it's equivalent to dial up most of the time.  Now use cell and it's better, but not that great.  Really wonder if we need internet that bad at times.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

bama20a

Same here,The provider we have is an indep- phone service ::), Although we pay for high speed service it's not that good. The last few day's it has been bad.They have been working on the lines here,So I don't know.
I've talked to some around here with satellite & they are not happy either. >:(
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

sawguy21

We have satellite service, that is all that is available. It works reasonably well although we do have some issues like freezing up that forces us to reboot, don't know if that is a 'puter or isp problem.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

breederman

I use cell service as well, It is hit and miss at home and never fast.  It is pretty good in towns when I am on the road and don;t want to use wi fi. I recently bought a tablet ,It has no service in weak signal areas.
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!