iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with one chain

Started by Ward Barnes, January 23, 2014, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

The new MS362 my dear wife purchased for my Christmas present and gave to me early (Thanksgiving time frame) is running like a champ, however, one chain out of 3 is binding up on the bar.  I am assuming that the chain that is binding has one or more links that is out of line with the rest of the links.  A visual inspection did not reveal the alignment problem.  I checked to make sure the brake was off!  The chain is a Woodland Pro 3/8 .050 84 link full chisel (WPL 24 30RC84).  I have one other of the same chain that works fine as does the chain that came with the saw.

Is there a way to align the chain?

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

thecfarm

Wax it like that brand new? I will throw a chain and than have to figure out which link is binding in the groove and file it foen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ward Barnes

Quote from: thecfarm on January 23, 2014, 10:10:35 AM
Wax it like that brand new? I will throw a chain and than have to figure out which link is binding in the groove and file it foen.

The chain ran fine out of the box and the first few sharpenings.  I bound the chain in a log, but, was able to remove it without problem and it ran fine.  Later that day I did throw the chain and put the saw away for the day.  The problem showed up the next day when I went to use it.

Thanks for the reply. 
God Bless,
Ward.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

John Mc

Sounds like one of your drive links got messed up. That happens a lot when you throw a chain.  I would not use the chain unless you can find which driver is damaged and de-burr or re-align it. No point in wearing out the groove in your bar with a bad chain. 
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Ward it sounds like you bent the chain when you pinched it in the log . Lay the loop flat on a table and the defect should show up.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ward Barnes

Howdy again:

I took the chain to my local Stihl dealer and he spread the chain out on the counter and saw 3 or 4 drive links that had a burr where the chain had made contact with the saw when I had thrown the chain.  I will file the burrs and report back.

Thanks for the replies.  Together we will get this chain back in top shape.

Ward.

John Mc

Take a close look at the links in the damaged area to make sure they are not cracked... no poin tin getting it all fixed up, only to have it come apart on you.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Andyshine77

Pretty much any time you throw a chain, the drive sprocket will ding up the drivers. Simply file them flat and go back to cutting.
Andre.

treechopper40

put he chain on the saw loose start it rev it up a couple times the burs will be gone then tighten the chain that's how I do it and you wont hurt anything ive done it that way for over 25 years u get burs most of the time when you throw a chain its a easy fix hope this helps
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

luvmexfood

Tried filing off the burrs on a chain one time. Actually 3 or 4 times on same chain. Man they are hard. Good luck.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

clww

A Dremel is really good for taking off a small burr on the drivers.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

luvmexfood

Quote from: clww on January 23, 2014, 06:43:30 PM

clww. Whats the temp up in VA. Beach. 9 here in SW VA.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

Success.  Removed the burrs with a flat file and the chain works like it should.  Thanks to everyone who replied and I hope my experience and the replies helped all who read the post.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

bandmiller2

I repair burs on drive links with a ball pein hammer on an anvil, with care of course. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lumberjack48

Quote from: treechopper40 on January 23, 2014, 03:22:36 PM
put he chain on the saw loose start it rev it up a couple times the burs will be gone then tighten the chain that's how I do it and you wont hurt anything ive done it that way for over 25 years u get burs most of the time when you throw a chain its a easy fix hope this helps

I've had 5-10-15 drivers banged up, the drivers wouldn't fit in the bar rail. I ran it real louse, the chain hanging, rev it up a few times, and make a cut with it, just as good as new. Tighten the chain up and go onward, probably took about 10 minutes.

My father showed me this trick  53 yrs ago, boy was i a happy camper, i threw the chain quit limbing balsam.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Actually I get a lot of free chain that way .A trimmer bud of mine if they mess up a driver or a cutter it gets tossed in bottom of his tool bins .Every so often I clean them out .Good chain ,all Stihl .I either file them out or cut them down from 24" to 20" or change out a cutter or two .Freebies what the hey . ;D

thecfarm

I'd my hand in the tool bins too!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Quote from: luvmexfood on January 23, 2014, 08:46:51 PM
Quote from: clww on January 23, 2014, 06:43:30 PM

clww. Whats the temp up in VA. Beach. 9 here in SW VA.
Yesterday it was 32 for the high. Today was 13 Low/23 High. Hard to keep warm out the today.
Sorry to highjack the thread. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!