iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ShopVac Smoker

Started by 21incher, May 27, 2014, 07:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Today I hickory smoked some turkey parts in my old shop vacuum.

Two days ago I crab-apple/pecan smoked the breast in my weber grill because it was too big for the shop vac.

It all started a couple of years ago when the motor on the vac died and I realized it was a perfect fit in my small weber grill that I had backed over with my truck and ruined the legs. So first I built a stand for it.

Then I cut the bottom lip off the vac drum.

Then I sandblasted it inside and out.

Painted it and rolled a stainless steel lid holder. Added a drip pan , 2racks, a temp control lever and a thermometer.

Next I had to build a mini starter for the 8 briquettes to light the fire. Used a tin can, camping plate and wire.

Made fires tarters from sawdust and paraffin in a mini muffin pan.

And then learned to brine and smoke.
started with turkey legs.

Then some sweet sausage.

More sausage and pork steaks.

A pork belly for bacon.

A corned beef spiced to taste like pastrami.

And my favorite. Chicken thighs that taste like bacon.

It turned out to be just the right size for my wife and I. With 80 briquettes it will burn about 8 hours at 220 deg which is more then enough for small smoking jobs.   ;D

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

21....gotta pat ya on the back on your smoker. You need to get a patent on that thang!
Food looks delicious........but your second pic.....what in the world.....PURPLE?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

21incher

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 27, 2014, 07:38:32 PM
Food looks delicious……..but your second pic…..what in the world…..PURPLE?  :D
It is the picture. It is really a dark mahogany color. Thanks.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

It turned out to be just the right size for my wife and I.

21incher,so who won't be eating when I show up?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on May 27, 2014, 07:44:18 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 27, 2014, 07:38:32 PM
Food looks delicious........but your second pic.....what in the world.....PURPLE?  :D
It is the picture. It is really a dark mahogany color. Thanks.

Smokers are GREAT.......everything is much juicier. i'd like to try some of your Pork Steaks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

I wanted to comment, but I have to run for the fridge...  digin_2
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on May 27, 2014, 07:45:27 PM
It turned out to be just the right size for my wife and I.

21incher,so who won't be eating when I show up?  :D
Everyone, there just won't be any leftovers. I live in wine country so we could find some nice wine to go with the smoky flavor.

thecfarm

Wine? That is made from fruit?  no_no I don't want anything like that to take room up away from The Meat.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Here are some pics of how I store the wood chunks. I went to HD and got 5 gallon buckets, and got a shelf from target. Then printed some labels on outdoors sign paper. Now I can find what I want without digging through a pile.

thecfarm

A couple good ideas you have there. The smoker is quite the Weapon and I like how you have the buckets.  Looks like you enjoy it and you know what you are doing.

drobertson

Heck of a smoker! nice clean look, the food looks out of this world good!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ljohnsaw

Very nice 8)  I like your selection of wood chips.  But, with all those varieties, what is "Chips"?? ???  I see a wire that looks like its going from the top vent to the bottom.  Is that an electronic thermometer in addition to the analog stuck in the side, or do you have a WiFi setup to alarm you when the temp is out side the norm? ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

That's enough to make anyone hungry!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Very organized,  Makes me wonder, is there a hoppy section with such organization?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Raider Bill

Hops and grapes go very well with BBQ!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on May 28, 2014, 08:40:38 AM
A couple good ideas you have there. The smoker is quite the Weapon and I like how you have the buckets.  Looks like you enjoy it and you know what you are doing.
I am learning. I only posted pictures of the food that was not burnt to a crisp. I use those buckets for everything and love that they seal well.
Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 28, 2014, 12:18:01 PM
Very nice 8)  I like your selection of wood chips.  But, with all those varieties, what is "Chips"?? ???  I see a wire that looks like its going from the top vent to the bottom.  Is that an electronic thermometer in addition to the analog stuck in the side, or do you have a WiFi setup to alarm you when the temp is out side the norm? ;)
All the buckets are full of chunks except for the one called chips. It is filled with small chips of different woods that have to be used in a smoker box for a grill. That wire is for the digital thermometer probe that monitors the internal temp of the meat so you can tell when it is done. I also use a additional analog in the top because the one in the side is not that accurate.
Quote from: drobertson on May 28, 2014, 04:35:48 PM
Very organized,  Makes me wonder, is there a hoppy section with such organization?
Thanks drobertson. I got the buckets because I found mouse droppings in a bag of my chunks and had to toss it out. The buckets seal great, keep the critters out, and are fairly cheep.
Quote from: Raider Bill on May 28, 2014, 04:50:03 PM
Hops and grapes go very well with BBQ!
;D ;D

WDH

Wow, amazing build, and the results speak for themselves.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

A super professional looking job. And the food pics have my tummy churning!

Stroover

@21incher:
Are you kidding me??? Holy smokes (no pun intended) does that rig of your ever seem to do a good job!!! Way to go!!!
When my time is up, I want to hit the ground like a spent shell!

21incher

Quote from: Stroover on September 25, 2014, 08:52:38 AM
@21incher:
Are you kidding me??? Holy smokes (no pun intended) does that rig of your ever seem to do a good job!!! Way to go!!!
Thanks Stroover. It does do a very good job at smoking small batches, and it was basically free so it is a winner.:)

Thank You Sponsors!