iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harley birthday to me!

Started by gspren, December 10, 2020, 06:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Back in the summer I posted I was looking at scooters, wife said she'd rather see me on 3 wheels so I looked at Spyder Trikes but they just didn't appeal to me so on to Harley Trikes. The trike solved the bad foot holding up the weight and the heel/toe shift with toe extension allows for stiff ankle shifting so today I picked up my 2020 Harley TriGlide, birthday was last week but they were doing the mods to accommodate my foot. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

A-z farmer

Congratulations on your Harley trike I think you made a great purchase.The is nothing like the feeling of being on a bike .I know when I cannot do the two wheels anymore I will have a goldwing trike .zeke 

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new ride!  There's nothing like it!  I ride but rue the day when I can't be on two wheels.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

8) Take your time getting used to it, handling is quite different. I had been riding bikes but did a face plant first time on a Honda Big Red.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 10, 2020, 11:44:06 PM
8) Take your time getting used to it, handling is quite different. I had been riding bikes but did a face plant first time on a Honda Big Red.
The dealer said the 2 most common problems when first riding a trike are steering with your arms and remembering to not put your feet down, I think riding my 4 wheel ATVs for 20+ years helped with that but I do need to remember to use the clutch when shifting, on the ATV that lever was another rear brake. 

hedgerow

congratulations on the new trike. Buddy of mine went to Harley trikes about 10 years ago when he was 60. He said the same things that getting used to the steering and not putting your feet down when you stop are the big things. He's on his second one he puts around 20,000 miles on a bike a year. Him and his wife take a lot of long trips and have a son that lives 1,000 miles round trip that they go see a lot. They went to Alaska last summer. 

Raider Bill

I know one will be in my future which may not be that far away as my knees and hips are giving me problems. Backing the bike up is getting to be a challenge.

In my mind I've been designing one for when I can't ride anymore that has a oxygen generator, IV pole, cooler, vaporizer and a catheter drain.. I figure  to have my GF get her endorsement and she can ride me around while I sit in back wondering what's going on.

How about some pictures?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

gspren

I have too many problems whenever I try to post a pic. If someone PMs me with a phone number or e-mail address I'll send them a pic, sorry but that's how it is.

Ed_K

Way to go on the new trike. I've been looking at trikes since late summer but I can't afford 20-30k for a new one. Place in Fl. will even truck one up to me. I had hope the prices would go down by fall but not to where I can afford one :(.
Ed K

Raider Bill

I've been finding them around the $33k mark. Wondered if the price would be better up in the frozen North over winter.

I'm not much for add-ons but one I saw had a footstep between the rider and passengers floorboards. Made it easy to mount and dismount which is becoming one of my problems.

I've been watching you tubes about them and the transition from 2 to 3 wheels.

Guys are saying that 8-10 hour days in the saddle are much easier than on 2 wheels.

I've never had a fairing or any electronic toys like the Ultra comes with.

Never liked riding with someone blasting music as it interferes with me hearing the voices in my head.

There is a place local that puts reverse on HD 2 wheelers and sells the kits, have thought about that in the interim.

So now I'm looking at geezer glides. When did I get this old... :'( smiley_old_guy 

Ed_K

The one thing I'll need is the helmets where I can talk and hear Rita in a normal voice. I don't know if the radio works with the helmets if they do I'll be listening to books on tape :( on a longish run.
Ed K

Raider Bill

I think the intercom, phone and radio all work together if you buy harleys setup

gspren

My Tri-Glide came with the stuff to put in your helmet for phone, music, etc and they offered to link my phone to the Bluetooth but I declined for now, I want to get much more familiar with it before all that. It also has GPS navigation, cruise control and too many buttons and switches to recall. For now I just want to get used to shifting with a heal/toe shifter and the basic needs like lights and turn signals. I put a bit over 70 miles on it and so far I like it but won't be too many miles over the winter, well maybe, that fairing really blocks the wind.

Bruno of NH

You will love the heal toe shifter. 
I liked the windshield on my bike.
I have been thinking and looking at trikes.
I'm a Harley guy but seen a new model Honda Goldwing this last summer that's stripped down of the trucker glaze. It was some sharp ,solid color and blacked out finish.
Sorry truckers sometimes the trucker glaze can be to much.
Kinda like the epoxy finish on some woodworking projects.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Raider Bill

It's funny but I use the heel toe on my older bikes (shovels) every shift but never on my road king.

I've never owned or ridden anything other than harley in my almost 50 years of riding but thinking about a trike it's hard not to consider the gold wing. You never hear of them breaking down or having problems. Lube, oil, tires.

The downside to me is honda doesn't make conversions them selves and lack of dealer support. Harley dealers are all over where honda not so much.

Another thing with the gw is lack of options for changing your leg position on long hauls.

Gspren, I think you are going about learning the trike in the right way.
All those electronics, buttons, gizmos and dodads would overwhelm me.

Does it seem weird to steer with the handle bars instead of lean?

gspren

Bill, steering first, I've been riding an ATV on my farm nearly everyday for over 20 years so arm steering seems natural as does keeping my feet up when I stop. I got my first bike and MC license in 68 so 52 years but very little riding in past 25 years so probably not as much as you. As to Honda, BMW, etc. if they made a factory trike I'd of checked them out but reading on a trike forum there were some that switched from their GoldWing to a Harley after having a problem while on a trip and Honda dealers wouldn't work on it. This is my first Harley and I live near the York, PA factory where most are built. My first 2 bikes were older BSAs with right foot shift and when I bought a Honda in 72 that took a little getting used to left foot shifting. So far my most common mistake is going from N to second with the heel but I'll get it. Not going to take the wife on it until I'm really comfortable with the controls.

Raider Bill

Picked this up last Sunday.

Magicman

Hey, dat ain't no Gold Wing!!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

What an awesome bike and the pretty lady in the background looks ready to go! I sure envy her being outside in bare feet today.  :)
Say when

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on February 02, 2021, 09:57:13 AM
What an awesome bike and the pretty lady in the background looks ready to go! I sure envy her being outside in bare feet today.  :)
That was Sunday. Shorts and t shirts. After she washed the bikes and her car I had her put in some petunias. :D

Today it's COLD! 50ish. will be in the 70's this weekend. Can't wait for this winter to get over with

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations both of you!

I can still swing my leg over my glide so it stays but when I can't I wont hesitate to go 3 wheels.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Onthesauk

Happened to be at Harrahs in Laughlin a few years ago during River Run and watched an older fellow get off his bike, grab his walker off the back and head for the door. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Onthesauk on February 02, 2021, 08:11:07 PM
Happened to be at Harrahs in Laughlin a few years ago during River Run and watched an older fellow get off his bike, grab his walker off the back and head for the door.
I hope to be that guy when I get old..er

Thank You Sponsors!