iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doing something i never thought i would ever do!!!

Started by Woodhauler, October 30, 2016, 04:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Been loading rail cars in maine with poplar for sappi mill in Cloquet,MN. I have sent pine logs to maine from Washington W.V but I think this is the farthest I have shipped wood!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

chevytaHOE5674

Whats real weird about that is we have a couple hundred cord of aspen decked up and Sappi said they weren't buying, so its slowly getting sprinkled in with our hardwood pulp and going to New Page/ Verso. 

Ohio_Bill

Small World. That yard in Washington Wv is a mile from my house.  I'm just across the river.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Woodhauler

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on October 30, 2016, 05:27:48 PM
Small World. That yard in Washington Wv is a mile from my house.  I'm just across the river.
Is the yard still open? It was west vaco when I was working that spring and early summer down there. We Cut for west vaco in burning springs W.V.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ohio_Bill

Yes sure is Glatfelter is the owner this week . 

Burning Springs was one of two oil fields in the world prior to the Civil War and the Rathbone Well within Burning Springs is the oldest producing oil well in the world. The Rathbone family mainly owned and operated this oil field until the Oil Boom of 1861 in which over 10,000 people moved to the area in less than a year. In 1863 during the Civil War, the Confederate army burned the town and over 120,000 barrels of oil which drastically hurt the Union. Today, Burning Springs has few inhabitants, but is listed on the National Register of Historical Places and has a small park commemorating the oil industry.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

starmac

Seems like shipping that far has to cut into the bottom line, but at least you have the option.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Maine logger88

Is that out of the mill in hinkley or do they have a siding somewhere else? Wish someware would ship pine and hemlock lol. Are you getting rid of any I know jay still doesn't want much and I haven't heard about catalyst but I would imagine there full too
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Woodhauler

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 30, 2016, 10:44:49 PM
Is that out of the mill in hinkley or do they have a siding somewhere else? Wish someware would ship pine and hemlock lol. Are you getting rid of any I know jay still doesn't want much and I haven't heard about catalyst but I would imagine there full too
Its a one time deal, they have to return some railcars to the mill out there, it costs the same to send them back loaded or empty. They are almost all full now.

Logger RK

I had 3 Aspen loads go to Sappi yesterday. Sounds like the market maybe getting better  8)

Gearbox

It may be a price thing . We have a few high grade paper mills and chip board mills all competing for Aspen and the price on stumpage gets run up quite high on  Aspen sales . Sapi's mill here uses over a 1,000 cord a day . Blandin 700 , LP 6-700. all within a hundred miles .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

grassfed

Well I like to think that Sappi is trying to keep some of us new england pulp cutters going by using this opportunity to reduce supplies here and use some empty cars. It seems like I have been hearing that it was wetter in Mn this summer than it was here. Maybe I am being too optimistic but at this point it is better to be hopeful. If oil would go up and the dollar would drop and we have a wet fall I might cut some aspen in jan and feb. I have a bunch standing in easy to reach spots where I thinned softwood this summer I would love to cut those before regrowth gets in the way.
Mike

Maine logger88

Quote from: Woodhauler on October 31, 2016, 05:29:00 AM
Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 30, 2016, 10:44:49 PM
Its a one time deal, they have to return some railcars to the mill out there, it costs the same to send them back loaded or empty. They are almost all full now.
O i see well good to get rid of what you can that way how many ton can the fit on a train?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Woodhauler

Maine, its around 60-65 ton. They make you leave them down 3 feet or so on the stakes!!!!

mills

One of the mill I sell logs to also chips pulp for Domtar. While I was there on Saturday morning three trucks from Tennessee pulled in loaded with pulp logs. The log buyer wasn't sure exactly where they came from, but he thought that the trip was three and half hours each way.  :o
Long way to truck pulp. I would have to believe that Domtar worked out a deal with someone.

Thank You Sponsors!