Sponsors:

Inbound walnut today

Started by tule peak timber, February 07, 2019, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Some grafted walnut in the yard today.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

nativewolf

NEAT.  How long is that bed? 5 bunks..are they only 8-10'?
Liking Walnut

terrifictimbersllc

Didn't know Anchorseal came in black.  :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tule peak timber

42 foot bed and chocolate end seal. These pups will need to meet Mr Pressure Washer... ;D

thecfarm

Some??
I am all ready waiting for pictures of the finished product. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Educate me, why are they grafted?  some other kind of walnut on black walnut root stock?  I didn't know this could be done.   
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

English walnut is usually grafted to black walnut root stock.  The root stock is more hearty and disease resistant.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

I'm guessing it's from an old orchard, and they were commercial nut producing trees, removed when they got too old?

It's common for the better fruiting (but less hardy) stock to be grafted to a tougher "wild" rootstock, even a different species of Walnut. Still close enough related for the graft to take and the combined tree to grow properly. Makes the tree's stump and roots part hardier and more disease resistant, but the fruiting part is the fancy variety that makes lots of good quality nuts. 

Also makes for interesting boards when the wood variety changes part way up the log, and knowing the work Tule Peak does, I can see why he's interested in them  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

redbeard

Are those considered Clario Walnut?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ianab

Claro Walnut (Juglans hindsii), native to California  is often used as the root stock to graft on the fruiting better English Walnut (Juglans regia). So there might be 3ft of Claro and 5 ft of English in each log. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

All above correct. The English walnut top graft is actually originally from Persia and the bottom  rootstock is  California native Claro. The top graft is specifically Franqutte English Walnut which is what the gunstock guys want. These logs will have some burl at the bottom, then black claro ,then white walnut with black flames at the top end. Old orchard trees and hard to come by.A pic of a standing tree.  Rob

Ljohnsaw

The ones you scored look like they were grafted pretty high.  Can't wait to see what's inside :o smiley_bounce
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!