iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad Things happen to "Good People"

Started by Magicman, March 20, 2014, 01:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK "Old Saying" but life still hands out it's punches.

My today's customer only had one Red Oak log.  Certainly not enough to be profitable for me to travel 14 miles and saw, but "Chuck" is a good man and a previous customer.  He lost his only Son this past year, and then was involved in a horrific head on collision that broke many bones including his neck. 

I figured what the heck, I would go, saw his log, charge him 60 bucks, chalk it up as goodwill, and be OK.  No extra for travel, setup, or blade.  Zing, hit a DanG nail.  OK $25, so now it's up to $85.   :-\  New blade and I will finish.  Zing and Zing, two more nails side by side.  Finished with another blade.

I charged him 100 bucks and hopefully tomorrow's customer will not be "Good People".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LittleJohn

MM, you can't always make money, some times you have to settle for keeping a relationship

Best of luck on the NEXT job - hope its an easy one, easy $$$ that is

woodworker9

It will come back to you.  Good things also happen to good people, and you fit the bill, sir.

Not everything is about money.  We have to live with ourselves, too.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Cedarman

Sometimes you just bare through it, taking what comes and not worry about the money aspect.
But I never make a second cut after hitting metal until I have checked the log with a metal detector.
Nails are like mushrooms, find one, will likely find more.
Isn't there a saying, "No good deed goes unpunished".
MM, you did right though.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

It Happings  Somes times. You did good. I had a guy needed[ he brought the logs to me] 4- 8"x14"x26' timbers cut . When he came to see them and arrange to pick them up I found out there for him to make a bridge for a wheelchair with a roof :o So I charge  him $1.00 for sawing them out.
Your right Magicman you have to give back.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're a good man Magic......but sometimes we are tested from above. We have no power to change test like this and I have no power over laughing.  :D :D :D    I HATES NAILS!!!!!!

Good story Lynn.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

richhiway

The good guys have to look out for each other. It's worth it.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Knute

You are very kind. When you do a good deed, it makes both of you feel good.

redbeard

Had the same thing happen with metal in log. 3" drywall screws had 4 of them and I hit the heads of the screws twice. My log so I lost two resharp blades. It sure is a awful sound hitting metal.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

jamesamd

I hope,You never,run out of Good People.

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

SawyerBrown

Bad things happen to all of us, but time and again good can be the result.  Would you rather have the profit or the eternal gratitude of a friend and neighbor?  Nothing but good can come of helping someone down on their luck.  Thanks yet again for demonstrating good will toward another.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Wellmud

Sometimes doing the right thing does not pay so well, but he will tell people how fair you were with him and hopefully they will be good people with lots of nail free logs. Seeing his situation makes you think that you have much to be thankful for.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not to get off of Magics post.....but my Bother knew I was real busy today since this was the first nice day we have had in a while and I was wide open milling.
He ask me would I bring the back hoe to his house and move a pile of rock.....we'll I did.
While moving the rock with the digger part, one of the rocks rolled off the pile and cut the HD line at the bottom of the digger.
Fluid went every where. The bad part was, I had to remove 3 good hoses just to get to the cut hose.
I had to go borrow 2 crows foot wrenches to remove everything, then took the hoses to the shop. They had 1 fitting for the new hose and did not have a fitting for the other end.
We finally spliced it and it took a while to put the DanG thing back together. Got it back together and I had forgot to get a new bucket of fluid.  >:( Back to the shop.
By the time it was over....the day was gone.

The point is, sometimes no matter how hard you try......sometimes life throws you a curve.  :)

Magicman

Sounds to me like you were dead on the thread topic.  It's about bad things happening to good people.  Maybe your Brother is a Good People.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2014, 10:08:21 PM
Sounds to me like you were dead on the thread topic.  It's about bad things happening to good people.  Maybe your Brother is a Good People.   ;D

Are you poking me?  :D

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2014, 10:13:02 PM
Yes, but I still like you.   8)

Magic even like UG-LEE people.....I feel special. ;D

SLawyer Dave

The motto of my law firm is, "Helping Good People through Difficult Times".  One bonus of the work I do, is that every time I even start to feel sorry for myself, I meet with someone else who is facing obstacles that I can't even imagine having to deal with.  So it makes me very appreciative of "how good" I really have it. 

Chop Shop

Good on ya!

I bet he will pay it forward!

hardtailjohn

Quote from: woodworker9 on March 20, 2014, 03:11:34 PM
It will come back to you.  Good things also happen to good people, and you fit the bill, sir.

Not everything is about money.  We have to live with ourselves, too.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that!! 
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

But it was the poor customer that I was concerned about.  It seems as though his string of bad things never ceases.

Thank You Sponsors!