iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a Debarker Orientation Lesson

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, August 10, 2012, 01:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

It's a long [read: boring] story, but we're just getting around to setting up our LT40HD after owning it for nearly three-and-a-half years.  Like most machines that've been sitting for this long, this mill has required a bit of TLC to bring it back to life. 

The latest problem seems to be the debarker.  I recall running it when we first got the mill, but I don't remember whether or not there are certain operational requirements before you can run it.  In other words, I'm wondering if the controls have to be set a certain way before the debarker will run.

At this point, we've taken the protective cover off of the debarker motor, freed it from it's locked position, moved it inward toward the log and have tried to activate the toggle switch -- to no avail.  I see that there's an LED indicator next to the switch, but there's nothing there either.  I checked behind the main control box and the breaker reset is not tripped. 

It seems unusual to me that the motor moves in and out just fine and the LED on the panel is dead, but perhaps they're totally unrelated circuits.  Anyway, I want to make sure that it's not a simple case of operator error before we start tearing into anything.

Thanks very much for your time ...     
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

customsawyer

I would recommend that you give Woodmizer a  call in the morning. They are the best at guiding me through the electrics on these mills.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jcbrotz

You would need to be moving forward or atleast have the level/switch in that position, then if it don't run then check and see if you have 12volts at the motor.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

T Welsh

jcbrotz is right the head switch needs to be in the forward position to run the debarker. Tim

MartyParsons

Hello,
Common question.
Turn the key switch to 3 or accessory. Push the Forward feed Drum switch forward. This is the black handle to the left. Make sure the pot is down so the saw head will not move forward. Turn the switch to the debarker on. It should run. If not then check the drum switch terminals, solenoid, circuit breaker is in the back of the panel.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for the replies, folks.  smiley_thumbsup

Once the debarker didn't respond, we never bothered moving the mill head forward.  I did have the presence of mind to engage the blade, but it never occurred to me to move the power feed control. 

Excellent thoughts -- I'll be sure to give this a try as soon as the weather clears for us.   
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

woodmills1

I too fell for the no work unless forward switch, thought it was broken

took maybe 6 months, I read the manual, then it worked
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brucer

It's designed so you can leave the debarker switch "on" when you're opening up a log. The motor will run when the feed switch is set to forward and shut off when the switch is in neutral or return.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!