iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1270D crane swing bearings

Started by Northern Timber Harvesting, November 16, 2014, 05:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Timber Harvesting

anyone have any experience doing one of these? one of mine needs them replaced and we've never done one before.

lopet

Don't really have experience  but it sounds like you need a overhead crane. Anything else would be a pain. Good luck.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

North River Energy

As read about elsewhere:
Jack up and securely crib the house after unbolting the 'upper' half of the swing bearing, then remove the assembly from the carbody.  Some slide the carbody out from under, others jack the house up high enough to slide the bearing assembly out from between.

Actual practice determined by the machine in question.

Jamie_C

Quote from: North River Energy on November 16, 2014, 07:31:28 PM
As read about elsewhere:
Jack up and securely crib the house after unbolting the 'upper' half of the swing bearing, then remove the assembly from the carbody.  Some slide the carbody out from under, others jack the house up high enough to slide the bearing assembly out from between.

Actual practice determined by the machine in question.

The boom on a 1270d is a seperate unit from the cab or house .... 1270d is a wheeled harvester not a tracked carrier.

A contractor i worked for about 6 years ago did the bearing replacement but i can't remember if the bearing came out the bottom of the base or if the loader had to be removed.

North River Energy

Oops.  Got distracted by NTH's avatar.

bushmechanic

I haven't had to do the bearings but I did replace the kingpost pin once and that was quite a job. I had to cut the old pin out with the torch and getting the new pin in took a lot of pounding with a maul (didn't have access to a press). I used an excavator to hold up the boom while I changed it. If I remember correctly there is a plate bolted on to the underside of the pedistal base an that is where you will have to access the bearings too. Big job you have on your hands there I don't envy you.

furltech

best to take boom off at stem set it on the ground pull the main pin that the stem tilts on the frame and lift the stem off with the porter then a cover comes off the bottom with a dozen or so cap bolts  bearing is under cover.if you have to pull stem out of housing watch there are two brass shims behind the racks that sometimes can fall out of place .

furltech

you will also need a big hammer and your full dictionary of curse words 

furltech

also when you take the parallel boom cyl off the boom will go out straight we always put a block of wood between it and the boom up by the knuckle .

thanks for the advice, I was kind of thinking that taking the boom would make it a lot easier. I think thats that what we'll do, can we get away with just one crane doing the lifting?

oh yeah, and anyone looking for experience is welcome to come "learn"

1270d

You should be able to do it with one crane seem like.  Lift the boom to the ground or some cribbing, then lift the pillar out. 

Are you doing the upper bushing, or just the lower bearing?

Im not sure yet what we're doing, the dealer says they both have to be done at the same time. Others have told me that lower can be done alone and that often the upper bushing has little wear. There is about 1/2" of up and down play in the tower, and very little side to side play

1270d

That's quite a bit of play.   I think the spec is .090" at the top of the bushing

Thank You Sponsors!