iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Milling "Coins" 1.5-2.0 Wide

Started by aaaice, October 20, 2014, 06:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaaice

I need help with how i can successfully cut slices of logs (bark on) that are uniform in width. I am going to attach them to a wall 27 feet long and 7 feet tall using random diameters from 3"-12" I can cut up to 6" with my chop saw, but need a way to cut them accurately with my chainsaw 59cc 20". Any thoughts are much appreciated !
We can still save this country, by converting one sheep at a time . . .

backwoods sawyer

Make a jig with a stop and a cut line kinda like you would use with the chop saw. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

aaaice

I was hoping there was something out there that would turn a chainsaw into a chop saw?

Joe Hillmann

If you search youtube for homemade firewood processor there are at least two videos of people who basically turned chainsaws into large chopsaws by mounting the bars to a hinge and a workbench.

Jeff

Quote from: aaaice on October 20, 2014, 07:37:51 PM
I was hoping there was something out there that would turn a chainsaw into a chop saw?

There used to be a product like that that a former sponsor used to sell. I need one myself. I do know that the former sponsor didn't carry them any longer and I've never found them anywhere else.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

blade69001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_1Jh4ETLCM

For some reason I can't insert the video but this may be of interest.

Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

aaaice

Wow, Thanks, That video sparked some ideas for me. I was hoping there was something I could just buy, but that led to other videos that were very helpful !

MortalWombat

Why couldn't you use a standard Alaskan chainsaw mill -with a regular crosscut chain- vertically instead of horizontally? Granted your arms might get tired holding the saw up, but if you use a lighter saw and a Granberg small mill, it wouldn't be too bad .

LittleJohn

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jim_Rogers

I cut cookies by standing up a log in my bandsaw sawmill and cutting through them in that position.
But if you don't have a bandsaw sawmill, and only a chain saw. then the challenge is getting the two sides parallel.
If you're going to try and do it free hand, no jig then draw a good line to follow. I used a piece of strap to go around the log to use as a straight edge in a circle, then trace the line with something like a red lumber crayon.
There are frames you can buy to attach to your chain saw bar and it has a pivot on it to hinge the bar back and forth. I had one for many years. Don't know where it is now.

I'm sure there are some on YouTube.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

aaaice

Treid it on a huge bandsaw, and the result wasnt very good, due to weight of logs, and the surface finish wasnt flat enough. I am sketching up a fixture to make a chainsaw into a chop saw, but will also look into the Granberg . . .

Joe Hillmann

Over in the firewood section someone just posted pictures of a chainsaw chopsaw they built.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78705.msg1194602.html#new

PaAnkerbalken

Try northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. They have a sawhorse table with chainsaw holder. Used like a mitre table. 40$ smiley_thumbsup
logosol M7

aaaice

Joe, That chopsaw you sent is awesome ! I dont know if I will go that elaborate, as once I get through 250-300 sq. ft. of coins for wall, I may not need it. Paankerbalken, I will go check out northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company now, and report back. Thanks, and keep em coming please !

aaaice

OK, I wont mention the company that sells the cheap junk anymore. It did look like something I could modify to do what is needed, but I understand the position, and will go another direction. It looks like the fixture idea / chopsaw will work, but after seeing the post from Joe, I want to have it counterweighted.

low_48

You can loosen the bolt in a Haddon Lumber Maker and it then makes a fine pivot. It would take some rigging, but you just clamp the chainsaw bar into the fixture. Gives you the mount, clamp, pivot, and a way to clamp that to a 2x4 or 2x6.
http://www.haddontools.com/lumbermaker.html

Thank You Sponsors!