iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB, richhiway and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wlmedley

Pretty well have gotten all the logs I had scattered around my place sawn up and stacked except this walnut. I saved it for last and need to decide how to cut it.May cut crotch off and saw it separately.Log is 25" in forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353561][/url]
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

TimW

I have a chance to bid on a Cypress log about 15 foot long and about 34 inches in diameter.
What's a good bid price to offer?  If I get it, what should I cut it into?
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

beenthere

Quote from: TimW on April 25, 2024, 03:07:30 PMI have a chance to bid on a Cypress log about 15 foot long and about 34 inches in diameter.
What's a good bid price to offer?  If I get it, what should I cut it into?

Think you will need the answer to the "cut it into" question first. 

Price would be up to your wallet and feeling good about it. But a $10 bid sounds good to me.  ffcool
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Tim,

Is it delivered or do you have to pick up the cypress log? Do you have any customers wanting cypress? 

If not I would bid low and be happy if I got it but not worry if I didn't.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 25, 2024, 09:51:39 PMTim,

Is it delivered or do you have to pick up the cypress log? Do you have any customers wanting cypress?

If not I would bid low and be happy if I got it but not worry if I didn't.
Howard,
I have to go get it.  The folks cutting it down or digging it up would load it.  No customers, but I am sure someone in H town would want something.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

Tim,

Looks like about 800 bf estimate for yield. I'd offer him $100 if I had to pick it up. If he agrees and you sell it you've done good if you can't sell it you haven't lost much. If he says no you haven't lost anything.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Thanks Howard!  I will do that.

Peter Drouin

Is it a yard tree, near a house?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

olcowhand

More lovely Maple Burl....

IMG_4541.jpg
IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Tony Sawmill

Sawed up some nice black walnut yesterday evening. 

mroldstyle

Quote from: oldgraysawyer on March 16, 2024, 06:14:49 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 14, 2024, 08:55:57 PMHow about documenting the Mikron install with pictures and giving us a report. 
I think it's stuck in customs but it's only been there a couple of days. Don't know how long it will take but the last time I ordered from out of the country it took about a week for customs to clear it but I would be happy to document the install on my 2003 Timberking B20. I did tell them it's for the B20 and the kit is supposed to be customized for it. I would like to think it will make my investment worth it. I don't have any business plans for my mill but just the few projects I have planned will save enough money to at least break even and from there it's all gravy.
Did you ever get this installed? Would like to here more!

TimW

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 26, 2024, 05:05:43 AMIs it a yard tree, near a house?
Peter, I forgot to ask that, but I suspect it is as it is in Old Town Spring, which is the refurbished downtown of Spring, Texas. 
I suppose to get photos today.  It just died.

Peter Drouin

Probably Full of iron. Get a good metal detector, not a wand type. one that will go 12" + into the log. Or buy a bunch of blades. ffcheesy If it was me I would pass on it. I get a lot of people who want to give me logs. Free 1 or 2 at a time. I just say thanks but no thanks. smiley_thumbsdown I get my logs from the forest from loggers by the truckload, Have one coming tomorrow. About 5000 bf.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TimW

Thanks Peter.  I think I will pass on it.
I texted him asking how much and that was a day ago.  No photos either.

jpassardi

Weekend work - This is more like a: Whatcha need to get sawing post...  running-doggy

Took out 2 loads of 14' red and chestnut oak as well as hickory that we felled. We'll saw them into 2x8's for rafters and joists for my barn build. The hickory will be a PITA to nail (gotta pre-drill) I know...

Bucked, skidded and hauled 3 loads of 10' and 12' - up to 36" White Pine a neighbor had felled. We have another 3 heaping loads to go. They'll be sawed into cants for timber frame use, jacket wood into 1" boards. Felled in the Fall, bark slipping easily - surprisingly the pine weevils haven't gotten deeper than the cambium. Peeled all the bark and stacked on bunks.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

beenthere

Speaking recently about "park-like" stands, maybe this woods qualifies for such. @livemusic may like this and want to know how it happened.  :wink_2: :wink_2:

Looks nice and a great place to see and walk through.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TimW

Quote from: beenthere on April 29, 2024, 12:50:02 PMSpeaking recently about "park-like" stands, maybe this woods qualifies for such. @livemusic may like this and want to know how it happened.  :wink_2: :wink_2:

Looks nice and a great place to see and walk through.
I agree.  It looks tranquil there.

WV Sawmiller

I got out and started repairs on my mill today. I got the broken clutch piece installed although I probably dud not use the proper technique. I had to remove the pulley on the other side to move the shaft enough to get the new piece to fit on the shaft. I got it all back together and adjusted the drive belt tension to approximate specification tension. It still seems very stiff when I pull it to tension. It is a brand new belt plus the new parts and I hope it loosens up when I test run it. I put the idler pulley assembly on but did not adjust to band rollers and such yet but will tomorrow. I also need to replace that little wooden block that helps dampen the blade vibration.
Howard Green

Larry

First and longest of about 40 walnut logs I'll start slabbing in the morning. All about the same diameter, 14 - 16" dbh. Most will be for charcuterie stock and a few will go for live edge mantels.

At the project several of us were talking during the quarter sawing demo about the best way to get the halves and quarters off the mill when first breaking down the log. I remarked that I put bearings on my loader arms.

The bearings were actually installed to make edging faster on the mill but have helped with quarter sawing and are outstanding when slabbing. When the slabs hit those bearings they take off like a jet and land near perfect in the waiting loader fork arms. Lots faster than dragging back or any other method to get them off the mill.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I am sawing my first "official" Pine Beetle killed job.  There are others in the schedule book but they are not ready and this one was.  Well almost because the customer still has 5 more trees to fall and skid.
IMG_5600.JPG
There are about 30 ranging from about 15" to 32" top ends.  About a dozen 8 footers and the rest are 16'.  The 8' logs will be 2X4's & 4X4's.  The good 16' logs will all be 2X6's.  The knotty/limby ones will all be 4X4's.
 IMG_5609~0.JPG
I set the sawmill up on the 8' logs first and will reposition on the first 16' whack then this is done, and afterwards move on the the last 16' whack.
IMG_5610~0.JPG
Speaking of whacks, I whacked 4 nails deeply inside of the largest log that I sawed today. 

This is actually a good job and only 2 miles from home.  The forecast is for 90° tomorrow.   :sunny:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Didn't get any pictures mostly because I don't want to remember today but I knocked out a pair of 8x10x33', yes 33', White Oak Beams for a historic bridge reconstruction job today.  I have a 6' extension for my 70, but it's still on the shipping pallet that WM bolted it to when they shipped it to me - sure did a lot of good for me today.  Fortunately the Lull makes for a fine bed extension replacement and I actually managed to keep the beams to true dimension as a result.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

olcowhand

A very ugly log with some very nice-looking boards underneath:

IMG_4566.jpgIMG_4567.jpg
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

caveman

I bought some pine logs and picked up some live oak on Monday.  We sawed some live oak for a friend.  He's going to use it to build a really heavy mineral block feeder for his cattle.  These boards range in width from 6"-14", with most being 8" and 10".  

Note to self:  Setting blades at .030-.032 seems to cut live oak faster and flatter than blades with less set.  This is the first live oak we've sawn since sharpening and setting our own blades.  I generally dread sawing it, even though it is beautiful wood.  Yesterday's logs were not too bad.  The full 2" flitches we ran through the edger made the Kohler grunt a little but also produced good results.

Caveman

Magicman

My 8:00 O'Clock tailgunners arrived at 9:30 so my day went just dandy.

IMG_5616.JPG
The tractor needed jumping off 3 times before they finally decided to bring the charger out to give it a boost.  Buncha 4X4's.

IMG_5615.JPG
I finished the short logs and moved the sawmill up to the 16' logs, but something happened to my picture.  My phone decided to edit it somehow and the sawmill portion with the first 16' log is gone.  Notice on top there is one of about 8 "logs" that will need nubbin before they will all be sawn into 4X4's.

IMG_5614~0.JPG
Another view of the second setup.  I got the first two logs sawn into 2X6's before my help quit for the day.

I have two more good logs to saw tomorrow morning before the nubbin begins.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

My lumber grader Hank, got mad when I called this slab a dog leg for some reason.

He gave it the "Pee" grade.

What does he know?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!