iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust Collection

Started by Larry, February 24, 2012, 06:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I started work on a dust collection system a little over a month ago.

Most of the pipes are in place.  I brought in 6" but dropped it too 4" for the machines.  Most are older with small dust ports that I didn't want to change to 6".  Hope I didn't make a mistake.

Had some commercial blast gates from my old shop but never did care for them.  They would get dirt in the slide and didn't want to close.  Made some self cleaning gates (I hope) and used them.

Put the blower up yesterday.  A Murphy-Rogers made in the USA with 3 HP Baldor.  Murphy-Rogers went out of business recently.  Grizzly cloned the blower some years ago...I ordered a gooseneck from them, but its still on a really slow boat from China.

Used 6" flex pipe between the blower and building to isolate it and prevent any harmonic vibrations.

Gave it a try out today.  With the blower outside about all I heard in the shop was a soft buzz that increased to a loud buzz when I opened a blast gate.  Outside its quite loud.  I don't have close neighbors but I'm sure they can hear it.  I'm hoping I can direct the exhaust into a big box and possibly reduce the noise level.  If that don't work I suppose I can be considerate and not fire it up at 6am on Sunday morning.  Any suggestions for a muffler?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wheelinguy

some central vac systems offer mufflers for the exhaust, you could always look into that.  maybe a couple in line?

Lud

Looks good, Larry.   Are you looking at separating chunks and dust or just getting it out?    I read someplace that you might want to wrap pipe with a thin bare wire because of static buildup?  Just a thought that someone else may expand on.  I have mine in the bottom of the barn but I can still hear it , even with a headset on!   I've minimized it but it still gets on my nerves! :D

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

DR Buck

Nice looking system.  I just have a few comments.   First the "static" issue that was raised.... This is one of the most discussed, disputed and misunderstood topics surrounding dust collections systems.    I am not an expert by any means and when I searched the internet and books on the subject before I put in my PVC dust collection I found all kinds of conflicting information.   Bottom line is, no one could cite a single incident of fire or explosion caused by static in a shop dust collection system.  I've had mine in place for about 2 years now and have not even gotten a shock off of the PVC. 

My 2nd comment is more of an observation and couple questions.   Is you shop heated or climate controlled?  What's the CFM rating on you blower?   Because what ever the CFM rating is for dust removal, it will also be the CFM rate for removal of climate controlled air from your shop.   :D    I learned this the hard way in my previous shop.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

hackberry jake

Sweet looking shop larry, I'm gunna have to come check out your setup one day. Your just right around the corner. I've been meaning to go check out Caleb's too. Too many things I want to do and not enough time
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Quote from: Larry on February 24, 2012, 06:16:24 PM
I don't have close neighbors but I'm sure they can hear it.

Larry, they will get used to it  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 24, 2012, 09:04:46 PMIs you shop heated or climate controlled?  What's the CFM rating on you blower?   Because what ever the CFM rating is for dust removal, it will also be the CFM rate for removal of climate controlled air from your shop.   :D    I learned this the hard way in my previous shop.

I can heat and cool the shop but rarely do because of our moderate climate. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Larry

The boat from China with my gooseneck musta got hijacked so I fabricated my own version.  It's operational now.  I put a few hundred feet through the planer yesterday...sure beats emptying my old trash can separator umteen times.

I want to find or build about a two yard container to blow sawdust into.  Something that I can pick up with the FEL and empty via trapdoor into a pickup bed.

Going to put up a shop air cleaner next.  Any recommendations?

Clam77

The dust system looks good Larry. 

For an air cleaner, the BEST choice would be something with electrostatic filters to attract and trap the dust - but with a sawdust environement you might be changing/washing the filters fairly often and you'd need some pretty good CFM.

A furnace blower venting to the outside - with or without filters would be cheap and easy, and move alot of air.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

WDH

I like your idea about the trapdoor container.  That will be better than sliced bread. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

I built a cart that I move my shavings and dust  with out of the bottom of the barn. It has  relatively light plywood sides but what I'm hauling is light, right?  So,  think light angle frame and plywood sides for volume.

Think gravity flow grain wagon shape   and I'd suggest a slide gate underneath would let you control the flow rather than a trapdoor which is a total dump. ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Handy Andy

I cut a hole in the wall of my shop and put in a small window, so to see when the dc is full. PITA when it runs over.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!