iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table Mountain Pine Restoration

Started by JBlain, December 03, 2015, 07:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBlain

Hello,

I have been working on regeneration of a table mountain pine (central Appalachian endemic species) Virginia pine stand with chestnut oak intermixed.    About 10 years of dropping, girdling and generally beating up the ugly chestnut oak is finally showing great results of pine regeneration.  I cored a few pines and they are around 140 years old.  Several of the ugly chestnut oaks were 14 in db and over 230 years old.  Very dry and extreme shale Barrens site that loggers left be a few times....the property was first logged around 1812.

Josh

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JBlain

About 7 acres with a south southwest aspect at the top of a large hollow.  It is a neat spot with fence lizards, frequent rattle snake sightings and now that I have great regeneration,  lots of game....
Josh

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JBlain

Will do.  I will have to take some more when I am out hunting.

Josh

barbender

It is very similar to Jack pine, that looks like a neat site.
Too many irons in the fire

Darrel

Looks like a great piece of property.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

JBlain

Table mountain pine has a cone with very sharp edges like some western pines.  The site also has scattered serviceberry and a lot of scrub oak.  Here's a few more pics.  Ratters like it too....

Josh

WDH

Darrel

The rattle snakes fangs have a hard time penatrating a good boot.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!