iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjusting My BMT Dual Tooth Setter

Started by YellowHammer, April 28, 2020, 04:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I don't know if anybody is interested or not, but I spent a little fine tuning and videoing my BMT 250 dual tooth setter adjustments and was able to get a much more positive and readable hesitation for indicating the final set on the teeth.  I also tweaked a few other things.  The main thing was putting a shim under the clamping springs to change the clamp timing a little and it made a big difference making the pre set, setting, and post set hesitation much more discernible.  Maybe some of these tweaks will help others, maybe not.  What's nice is that on a couple of the clips, I'm standing many feet away from the setter while setting a band, and even that far away, you can easily see the dial indicators indicating post set measurements within a very tight margin.

Anyway, the BMT250 is a REALLY nice and fast dual tooth setter, and if anybody is considering buying one, the answer is a definite "YES".   

Here's a video. 

Fine Tuning my Woodmizer BMT 250 Dual Tooth Setter at Hobby Hardwood Alabama - YouTube

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Very crisp needle action indeed. Better than mine.  I'll have to try the spring shim.  

You'll have no trouble now seeing if/when one of those springs break.  Both of mine broke just a little out of warranty.  $18 each they are.   :(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

I appreciate this video very much.  My sharpening equipment is a week old tomorrow so seeing how yours is operating is helpful!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

Not nearly as technical but I added a little something to stop oil splatter out of the blade exit on my setter 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

PAmizerman

I did the spring shims today. I haven't tried it out yet though. The smallest washers I could find were still a tad big though. So I just dropped a dime in behind the springs. :D
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Durf700

Quote from: PAmizerman on May 01, 2020, 07:44:45 PM
I did the spring shims today. I haven't tried it out yet though. The smallest washers I could find were still a tad big though. So I just dropped a dime in behind the springs. :D
I am thinking about picking up this automatic setter as well.. I just got the 250 sharpener and love it!   did you really use a dime behind those springs?
I really want to be able to easily read the new set on the gauges being very new to sharpening and setting.

PAmizerman

@Durf700 I sure did. 
It really helps a lot.
I was having all kinds of trouble before I did yellow hammers adjustment
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Durf700

Quote from: PAmizerman on October 21, 2020, 09:46:08 PM
@Durf700 I sure did.
It really helps a lot.
I was having all kinds of trouble before I did yellow hammers adjustment
@PAmizerman
thanks for verifying!  I called today and ordered my BMT 250!! I KNOW I didn't need it... I don't mill only but a few days a month but my new BMS 250 looks lonely and needs a buddy..  I figured I an always sell them for a large amount of what I paid for them down the road..  I guess I will be investing another 20 cents into the setter as soon as I get it.  I also ordered a pair of the extra springs after reading the thread just to have on hand. 
how does the setter come apart to pull out the spring and place the dime behind the springs?

Stephen1

I did the modification a while ago. It makes a world of difference. I sharpen and then set , my blades are now as sharp as new. It is easy to just run the blades around without setting to find the tooth that is out of set now. Thans YH
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Durf700

what do you do, just back off the set adjustment knobs so they don't actually push teeth over and then just look for teeth that are over set  as the machine goes around the blade if your band isn't in need of setting?

Stephen1

Quote from: Durf700 on October 21, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
what do you do, just back off the set adjustment knobs so they don't actually push teeth over and then just look for teeth that are over set  as the machine goes around the blade if your band isn't in need of setting?
Exactly It has made a world of difference for my blades. I can squeeze the tip with my pliers and to flatten the set.
I now sharpen and then throw the blades on the setter, with the CBN griind, there is hardly any burr like we used to get on the old drag sharpener. 

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

PAmizerman

@Durf700 I don't remember what all it entails I'd have to look it over again
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Southside

Durf - just be aware that the setter will not run if you plug it into a GFCI protected outlet.  The book leaves this little, yet critical, detail out.  On a good note I am very good at changing the motors and know the internal electrical diagram by heart on my machine..... ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I'm glad you folks are having success with my setter mods, especially since it only costs a couple dimes. :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!