iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1951 gmc wont start

Started by bigred1951, July 30, 2014, 07:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

ok guys my 51 gmc has been sitting for a couple years. Been trying to get running lately but couldnt get it to start. So today went and got a new set of points and condenser and put in it. Well it started right up and ran fine for a minute then died. Well it wont start back even if you pour a little gas down carb nothing. It is getting spark at the coil. So im pretty much stumped. I put a new fuel pump on it a few years ago so i would guess it would be fine i didnt  pull the line to check and see if it was getting gas but it should still pop off by putting a little down the carb. Any ideas?

thecfarm

Is the rotor button going round and round?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Some new gas with Seafoam in it ?

Is there a drain on the carb ?

Is it a 235 ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bigred1951

now that you mention it i also put a new rotor button on it. Yes it spins round and round. Its a 270 straight 6

dgdrls

seems the spark is not getting to or leaving the distributor,

cap still good?  distributor wires, coil wire, carbon button in the center of the cap
making good contact with rotor

Rotor ??

you'll get it,

DGDrls

bigred1951

It is getting spark at the coil and the coil wire but im wondering if it is getting spark to the points or plugs. Ill have to check it tomorrow or the next day. Its gotta be somethin simple. I did get a new distributor cap to put on it but when i got back and looked it was the wrong one  >:( go figure

yukon cornelius

they probably gave you a 235 or 216 cap. you might check your point gap again. I have had them slip after I thought they were tight. those carbs really gunk up after sitting a while also. those 2 things are where id start. I wish I had my granpas 50 gmc back! or my 53! best looking truck ever made!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Southside

Maybe it's just tired!!!  You think you will jump out of bed at that age? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

redprospector

Quote from: Southside logger on July 30, 2014, 10:38:59 PM
Maybe it's just tired!!!  You think you will jump out of bed at that age? :D

I certainly hope so.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

r.man

Spark strength is important as well. If you have a spare spark plug, pull the tab off the end so the spark has to jump from the electrode to the side. If it won't it is probably too weak to run. Also check for consistent spark, does the spark rhythm seem right and consistent. You should give the engine the finger compression test if you have the plugs out in case you have multiple valves sticking.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Corley5

Today's condensers are junk.  Your new one may very well be bad.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sprucebunny

Ya, I recently had the same sort of problems with a 1955? Chrysler 230. I decided I would replace the points and condenser with an electronic version. It was not made by the company I got the last one from (for a Ford 300/6 ) but I did find one from Pertronix and when I finally recieved it, it worked Very well.
Even though I had gotten the machine running while waiting for the electronic unit,,,, it starts much faster and I expect it to start reliably long after I would have had to fiddle with the points again.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

scsmith42

With the key on, check the voltage at the coil - it should be around 9 - 10 volts.  If you have 12V -14V then your problem is the resistor shorted out and causing the points to arc over.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

36 coupe

A 51 GMC is 6 volts unless the 12 volt turkeys have messed with it.Friends and I were starting Model A Fords when we were 14 years old.

bigred1951

well i believe its still the 6 volt system. 12 volt battery but there is a resistor on the firewall. Still running the 6 volt generator. My papaw bought the truck off my stepdad around 2000 or so for 500 bucks. He rebuilt the brakes and he taught me how to drive in it on the main road when i was 12. Imagine a 12 year old on the main road in a 51 gmc 2 ton with a 14 ft flatbed no power nothing, double clutch and air shift 2 speed haha. Well he passed away when i was 14 and left the truck to me. I have since had the rad recored for $700  :o then a new water pump, then fuel pump. Ive sadly neglected it over the past couple years and its just sat not touched. So ive finally decided to get it back in shape

redprospector

Quote from: bigred1951 on July 31, 2014, 07:42:17 PM
well i believe its still the 6 volt system. 12 volt battery but there is a resistor on the firewall. Still running the 6 volt generator. My papaw bought the truck off my stepdad around 2000 or so for 500 bucks. He rebuilt the brakes and he taught me how to drive in it on the main road when i was 12. Imagine a 12 year old on the main road in a 51 gmc 2 ton with a 14 ft flatbed no power nothing, double clutch and air shift 2 speed haha. Well he passed away when i was 14 and left the truck to me. I have since had the rad recored for $700  :o then a new water pump, then fuel pump. Ive sadly neglected it over the past couple years and its just sat not touched. So ive finally decided to get it back in shape

Haha. To imagine that I need only to think back to a different place in time. I learned to drive when I was 12 in an old GMC "Bubble Nose" 2 ton truck with a 20' grain dump bed. I believe it was a 52, but I could be mistaken. Heck, it even had an air conditioner that hung in the window, and you poured water in it.  :D I was up town.  ;D
It's a different world now though.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandhills

Not to many 12 year olds would even know what a stick shift is now a days let alone a 2 speed rear end.  I let my 12 year old daughter drive us to the lake last weekend to meet up with my wife, pretty much all back roads but there was a mile of highway in the course.  She did really good and was grinning from ear to ear the whole way, of coarse an '03 Trailblazer is a little different than a '51 GMC  :D.  I'd much rather see kids learn that way then just go pass a test when they turn 16 and think they know how to drive.  She does drive around the farm and our place a lot, I didn't just turn her loose and say go  ;).

luvmexfood

I learned to drive on a 67 Ford one ton. Four speed and power nothing. Hoss of a truck though. Dad sold it for parts and not a lot wrong with it. Only thing I hated about it was the bed was up so high. Hard for a short guy to sling them bales of hay upon it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!