iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey hunters vs. Wily Coyote...

Started by chain, March 29, 2011, 09:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I think also you have to keep in mind that nesting conditions and how harsh the winters are is the biggest driver of our wintering bird populations. We've had three harsh winters in a row and to see a pheasant is uncommon now. Everyone I talked to about it after harvest this year remarked on how few they saw. Turkeys are a tougher bird but heavy snow pack has to be hard on them too.

chain

Quote from: beenthere on March 30, 2011, 11:30:02 AM
chain
Does MO have a registration system for turkey's harvested?  

And do the numbers follow the fire ant growth problem?

But I see a DNR request for more federal funding to "research" the situation.  ;D

So far as I know there are no fire ants in Missouri. Yes we have a registration system. Spring & fall turkey season I believe three weeks each with youth hunts one weekend each. Then, the predator and poaching seasons kick in 24-7. Biologists say, "when you have an abundance of turkeys this is soon followed by an abundance of predators."

For the wintering issue, Nebraska, Wisconsin and other northern States have good turkey reproduction, those winters are much longer and colder than southern Missouri.

Ron Scott

Our turkey numbers have been on a decrease here in northern lower Michigan for the last few years for whatever reasons of weather, predators, etc. The MDNR has not been able to really determine the reason. They have been trapping and transferring birds from southern lower Michigan where the turkeys are more plentiful to areas here in the northern lower.

We have not had a fall turkey season here for the past 3 years or so. There has been no shooting of the hens.
~Ron

Woodcarver

I haven't seen a DNR estimate of the numbers in this area, but the population appears to be dropping here, too. I used to see and hear turkeys regularily, especially when deer hunting.  I haven't seen or heard any the last two hunting seasons and I haven't seen turkey sign in the woods either. 

I don't hunt turkeys, but I have several acquaintances who do.  They are all reporting lower numbers.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Magicman

It's my understanding that the population is controlled primarily by disease in the adults and predators interfering with nesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I ran a turkey through a swather once. Just a tad bit noisy.  Alfalfa field, small square baled it. About late January or thereabouts I broke open a bale for some calves. Feathers everywhere. Around here, its basically open season on turkeys. A lot of us are convinced they have decimated the prairie chicken population, along with quail and pheasants. I got em all over the farm. Turkeys are extremely destructive to young crops. Around here, you get caught poaching quail or pheasants, farmers will turn you in. They catch you poaching a turkey, they will turn you around and make you go shoot another one.

Chuck White

Quote from: Kansas on March 30, 2011, 10:53:35 PM
I ran a turkey through a swather once. Just a tad bit noisy.  Alfalfa field, small square baled it. About late January or thereabouts I broke open a bale for some calves. Feathers everywhere. Around here, its basically open season on turkeys. A lot of us are convinced they have decimated the prairie chicken population, along with quail and pheasants. I got em all over the farm. Turkeys are extremely destructive to young crops. Around here, you get caught poaching quail or pheasants, farmers will turn you in. They catch you poaching a turkey, they will turn you around and make you go shoot another one.

In this area, we find that the Canada Geese are far more destructive on young crops than the turkeys are!

The geese will eat a lot of young seedlings, and they will usually pull them up by the roots.

A lot of the geese in this area will spend the summer in the farmers hay fields.  The geese don't go as far North as they used too!

Some of the farmers will obtain nusence permits to avoid some of the crop damage!

After that the geese become bait and coyotes are thinned out a little and the turkey population increases!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

Turkeys are classed as Big Game here. Its a $300.00 fine as a minimum if you shoot one illegally.
~Ron

ARKANSAWYER

Feral cats, raccoons and opossums do the most damage here in Arkansas.  I have several turkeys at the mill but none on the farm.  I had a covey of quail at the mill and they started thinning out.  I trapped several house cats that I did not even know was around.  The low prices on pelts keeps many from hunting or trapping coons and possums so their numbers are getting high.  
 The State G&F say the turkeys are not doing well here but I see no evidence here.  I work on the predators every chance I get.
ARKANSAWYER

submarinesailor

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on April 03, 2011, 04:57:34 PMI work on the predictors every chance I get.

Dotto - very chance I get.

Bruce

ARKANSAWYER

Coyote season runs at the same time as turkey season here in Arkansas so if Wily comes by you can blast him legally.
ARKANSAWYER

Magicman

We can shoot coyotes year round.   ;D

My 22 magnum stays ready for them and wild dogs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!