iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sachs-Dolmar 133

Started by smith2bj, November 16, 2010, 10:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith2bj

I need some of yours guys input on a Sachs-Dolmar 133 that a guy bored so it pushing 96cc.  I know Stilhs, Husky and Jonsered but not familar with this.  he want 400 or best offer.  My Questions is, is it a good saw?  IS their anything I need to watch out for with it.  Is it a good price.  or should I not look at it.
Thanks

Bernhard

Dolmar are goods sawa so far. But

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/a7f2e9617b1261a788256d8200137cd0?OpenDocument

it is minimum 23 years old. I canĀ“t find a reason why the owner bored it up and 400 bucks are a way too much for such an old machine.

nmurph

it sounds like he put a 143 top end on it.

sawguy21

The guy is dreaming but it is his saw, he can ask whatever he wants. :D Parts for that old timer are very scarce making it a poor choice for daily use.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

We had a small Sachs-Dolmar for limbing and bucking on the yard. After the first tank through the saw in the day, you might as well use an axe. It wouldn't start unless it cooled off. More than once it almost ended up in the brush pile or under a skidder tire. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

smith2bj

thanks for the input.  I think I'll stay away from this one.

Al_Smith

Quote from: smith2bj on November 16, 2010, 10:56:32 AM
I need some of yours guys input on a Sachs-Dolmar 133 that a guy bored so it pushing 96cc. 
Well first of all contrary to what the guy might say it's not as easy as say to overbore a Chevy 350 30 thou over and drop in a new piston .

People can say anything but doing the deed is more often just a pipe dream .Fact is another place on the net some novice babbled on about grafting parts from an old  Homelite and a Poulan for some kind of a circus freak saw . Probabley possible---the day that cows fly ---

Now as far as reboring a saw engine ,I'm one of the few that's actually put pictures about doing the proceedure on the net and it's long and involved .We're not talking hours of work,days .Had it not been a relatively rare Mac 125 I'd have not taken the time .

HolmenTree

I used a Sachs Dolmar 123 [70cc]  in the early 1980s for a day and was impressed with the power it put out. The company had a good lineup at the time all the way up to the claimed 12hp sae  166.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

:D They might have claimed 12 HP on the 166 but chances are is was between 8 and 9 truth be told .

On that model of which I've ran two ,both belonging to Cut for Fun ,they did certainly have plenty of power but not that power they listed .Although I imagine the alkie burning hot saw exceeded that by a sizable factor but it was far from stock .

Now on a stocker I'd put it right up there with an 084  Stihl .

On an older saw like the one in question the value is pretty much between the buyer and seller .Some would find it desirable while others would just as soon use it for a doorstop .

nmurph

12hp is an SAE figure. when you convert the Kw number you get 7.9hp, more in line with the displacement. and yes, the same as an 084

Al_Smith

In defense of Sachs-Dolmar that error in computation could be the method used to determine HP .If you recall for example at one time the SAE ratings were based on "gross" HP which was later changed to "net" HP .The later being more accurate .

Then again it hasn't been out of the ordinary for certain concerns to kind of embellish the facts as a marketing ploy .As they say if it sounds too good to be true ,it probabley isn't .

Thank You Sponsors!