iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire protection

Started by Gordon, April 22, 2001, 06:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Here is a copy of a post I did on another board t.b.n.. This applies not only at home but at the jobsite as well.

Bird you asked so here goes. I just got done with some firetraining at work a few weeks ago so here is what I remember.

How much oxygen is in the air we breathe?---------21%
What percentage does it take for a human to survive------16%
What percentage does it take for a fire to survive--------13%

There are four classes of fires

Class A-----Paper, trash, wood, cloth

Class B-----Flammable liquids, gas, paint, solvents

Class C-----Electrical fires

Class D-----Metals magneizum {spelling?} potassium

Bored yet?

There are five major types of extinguishers

1. water-- for class a fires
2. CO2 carbon dioxide class B and C fires effective range 3-8 feet from fire
3. Dry chemical class A-B-C fires effective range 12-20 feet
4. Haylon class B-C fires
5. Sodium Chloride Class D fires

Bored yet

You should take your extinguiser every six months and turn it upside down to make sure the chemial hasn't hardened in the bottom. Alot of people have powder extinguishers and check to gauge or button to check pressure but never turn the extinguisher upside down to make sure the chemical is still a powder.-----Very important------

One other key part of information look at how your extinguisher operates before you are in a panic sitution. Remeber this: The pass system

P-----pull the pin
A-----Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
S-----squeeze the trigger or handle
S-----Sweep the base of the fire

Bored yet

Guess the class payed off I did remember something out of three days of training. One day was on SCBA and the fun day was at the smoke house at the fire school.
After going through the smoke house it really made me respect firemen even more and what they go through not only doing seaches for people in burning houses but putting the fires out.

So far love the new job the only thing I don't like is that darn vest that I've got to wear. But I'm getting used to it.

Gordon

timberbeast

Good post,  Gordon!  One more thing:  Make sure everyone in the house knows where the fire extinguishers are,  and how to use them.  A few years back,  my son,  who was 15 at the time,  decided to cut the lawn.  He overfilled the tank,  put the can back in the barn,  and when he pulled the starter,  the blades hitting the gravel made a spark,  which ignited the spill and ran back to the can.  To make a long story short,  we lost the barn,  at least 5000 bf of lumber stored inside,  all my tools,  the house and all its contents, three cars,  and two boats.  The moral is that there was a very large fire extinguisher hanging just behind the door he was using.  I neglected to tell him it was there.  He was the only one home at the time.
Where the heck is my axe???

Gordon

Timberbeast thats a shame, just glad to hear no one was injuried or worse killed in the fire. Wood can be replaced but lives can't.

But your sitution does go to show that alot of people never or rarely think that a fire will happen to them. -----When was the last time you'all checked the batteries in your smoke detectors. I've got both 110vt and 9vt in my house.

This was brought up to me a few weeks ago and really opened my eyes. I've run fire drills with my childern, but always during the day time hours. When do most fires happen it seems--at night. Another thing I would always sort of help in the drill--lead the childern out to the meeting point in front of the house. So actually I was doing more harm than good in these drills.

Here is my point, what would happen if I wasn't there to guide them. Well I tried it and the outcome wasn't good. About midnight set off the smoke alarm after four minutes of the smoke alarm going off the childern still were not out front. I went in and listened at the door. They were discussing what to do and sure hope dad gets here.---A real eyeopener--

So I instructed them next time it happens not to wait for me just get out of the house. Did it again the next week and the good news. All out front in less than two minutes. Hopefully it will never be a real life sitution, but at least I learned a very important lesson. Can't ever have to much planning when it comes to fire safety.

I know this isn't forestry related but very important item in life.
Gordon

Jeff

Great post Gordon!

And Here is a note. NEVER EVER think this forum and especially this area of the forum is restricted to forestry or wood related topics. Yes, The forum's main goal is to provide information and interest in the Timber industry, but all of us are still part of a much greater community.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

That's a good point.

When we run firedrills at schools, the kids always get up and form a line promptly - it's actually one of the most orderly things they do. :D

However, they don't leave the room until I tell them to.

Since it is daytime, and I am generally awake when I am at work, I think we're safe. ;)

I think we'll have to have a talk about how to decide what to do in unusual situations.    
RavioliKid

Bill Johnson

Here is a Hazard Alert from the Department of Labor and Industries for The State of Washington.

It is unfortunate that the incident resulted in a fatality, but these are the types of things most of us wouldn't consider as a hazard.

Hazard Alert:
Corrosion on Portable Fire Extinguishers

Background:
An employee was killed when he used a portable fire extinguisher to put out a small fire. Corrosion on the bottom of the fire extinguisher was serious enough that the extinguisher case ruptured when it was activated, and parts struck the fire watch in the the chest. A similar incident occurred in 1988.

The Hazard:
This fire extinguisher had a rubber boot or cap to protect the bottom of the cylinder case. Moisture had seeped in between the rubber and outside cylinder wall and caused the cylinder to corrode inside the boot. Over time, this corrosion weakened the cylinder and it ruptured when the internal CO2 cylinder was activated. Other extinguishers of this type have been found to have the same type of corrosion underneath the rubber boot.

Recommendation:
If your fire extinguishers have rubber or plastic boots or caps and are located in potentially corrosive environments such as:
  Extinguishers stored outside, unprotected from the weather.
  Extinguishers stored in wet or damp environments.
  Extinguishers stored near marine facilities or other waterfront buildings, especially those located near salt water.

1)Immediately remove the extinguisher from service and have it inspected by the vendor or qualified person.

2)Include inspecting the bottoms of this type of extinguisher as part of the monthly fire extinguisher inspection.

3)Remind employees that they must stand away from portable fire extinguishers during re-charging.

END

Bill
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!