iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Capital Tree

Started by jeff, July 13, 2001, 07:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Here is the first look at this years capital tree!

It is a 72 ft white spruce

The tree's location will be kept secret for a while due to security concerns.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Now how do we know that`s the tree?
Are you trying to pull a  fast one on the Buyers gang ?

Jeff

I don't know. I also, am one of the flock. But by nature, I tend to believe until given reason not to. ;)

Kevin

I`m not at liberty to discuss this issue any further at this time, my people are studying the photo and we won`t have the results back for a few days.
All they`ll say is it looks suspicious.

Jeff

Kevin, Like this tree, your one in a million.

Tom

That looks like it just might be "The Tree" to me.  It's the right color and everything.

CHARLIE

Jeff, I believe you. I believe that the White Spruce is the next Capitol tree. Yassuh, I sho nuff believe :o  It does sorta look like a Minnesota tree though.::)

Now for some questions:
1) How soon before Christmas do you have to cut the tree down?
2) How do you keep the tree from drying out during transport and after it is set up?
3) How in the cathair do they transport the tree to D.C. with all those limbs sticking out? I've seen em use nets over small Christmas trees, but some of the limbs on that thing ain't gonna bend to easy.
4) Is the tree donated or does the guvment pay for it?  Does the guvment pay for the transport of it?
5) What do they do with the tree after Christmas? Chip it up or slice it up?
6) Do you get a free trip to the White House and get to sleep in Lincoln's Bedroom?
  :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Charlie, Here is what I know.

Now for some questions:
1) How soon before Christmas do you have to cut the tree down?
Answer: Nov 13 there will be the tree cutting ceremony at the Ottawa National Forest.

2) How do you keep the tree from drying out during transport and after it is set up?
Answer: The Tree is Shrinkwrapped on the truck to protect it and reduce moisture loss during transport.
3) How in the cathair do they transport the tree to D.C. with all those limbs sticking out? I've seen em use nets over small Christmas trees, but some of the limbs on that thing ain't gonna bend to easy.
Answer: I know ther is a system of tying back limbs to reduce width (I will try to get more on this) But the tree will still be a wide load. The caravan that accompanies the tree will include 2 state police cars. They will stay with the car till it reaches the state line, where 1 will continue with the tree to D.C. The Tree will arrive by motorcade on the 3rd of Dec.

4) Is the tree donated or does the guvment pay for it?  Does the guvment pay for the transport of it?
Answer: The capital tree is always a wild tree donated from a national forest.

5) What do they do with the tree after Christmas? Chip it up or slice it up?
Answer: The tree will be sawn into building materials to be donated to habitat for humanity homes. I am not sure if it is 2by4s or trim, but many people should be able to say that part of their home was part of the first capital tree of the new millenium.

6) Do you get a free trip to the White House and get to sleep in Lincoln's Bedroom?
 :)
Answer: As big as my part is to me, it is a small part in relation to the total scope of the project. I receive the satisfaction of working on the project, and I do believe I get an offspring from the tree to plant. Cones and seeds are collected from the tree and grown. Participating members of the project will be able to have they're own "Tree of Hope"

http://www.holidaytree2001.org

Jeff

I forgot to answer the question about who trucks the tree. In several of the past years, Mac trucks has taken care of this. This year they declined. This year we are presented with the dilema of two carriers willing to do it. I will let you know who, when I know for sure.

Tom

They should get one of those great-t-t big-g-g two rotor, helicopters that are used for logging and cranes and fly that sucker to DC.  Bet the sandlot football games would stop when they went over.  Probably wouldn't slow down a golf game from what I hear.

Ron Scott

2011 Capitol Christmas Tree will come from the Stanislaus National Forest.

On Aug. 26, Forest Supervisor Susan Skalski announced that the 2011 Capitol Christmas Tree will be harvested from the Stanislaus National Forest, as a gift to the nation from the State of California. The tree, which will be 60 feet or taller, will grace the west front lawn of the U.S. Capitol in December 2011. The Superintendent of Capitol Grounds will visit the forest in late spring or early summer of next year to view potential trees for selection. About 75 additional companion trees of various sizes will be delivered to the Capitol and placed in federal offices. "We look forward to working with groups and individuals representing the state and general public in completing the many tasks related to harvesting the tree and preparing it for the great journey to Washington D.C.," Skalski said. Many communities will be involved in the festivities, and celebratory events that will take place in conjunction with the selection, cutting and transportation of the tree, which is expected to be harvested in November 2011.

Chief's Newsletter
~Ron

Ron Scott

Next U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree to Hail From Willamette National Forest

The Register-Guard, Jan. 20, 2018

America's top Christmas tree producing state — will be providing a tree next Christmas for the Capitol in Washington, D.C. And the tree will come from the Sweet Home Ranger District of the Willamette National Forest, the U.S. Forest Service announced recently. It's an honor for the national forest and the state, said Willamette National Forest spokesman Scott Owen. 

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/36353619-75/story.csp#

The E-Forester

~Ron

Don P

Michelle packed away our angel that hung on the '01 capitol tree a couple of weeks ago. She's too heavy for any tree we've ever had so has a place on the windowsill beside the tree during Christmas  :)

Ron Scott

Tree-Cutting Ban May Thwart Plans for Capitol Christmas Tree (NM)

The Associated Press via WRC-TV, Oct. 4, 2019
A tree to be displayed outside the U.S. Capitol building over the holidays is supposed to come from a northern New Mexico forest. That's if the U.S. Forest Service can get an exception from a tree-cutting ban across all New Mexico national forests and one in Arizona.  READ MORE
~Ron

Jeff

You would have thought an existing issue like that would have excluded that area from considerations from the onset of the selection process

Ron Scott

I would think so to. Just move it to a different National Forest. 

That's what happened when I provided the National Tree in 1976 during the national clearcutting issue. The tree was suppose to come from the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina, but just a few weeks before it was suppose to happen, it was moved to the Monongahela National Forest by just a phone call from then West Virginia's Senator Randolph.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Feature: The US Capitol Christmas Tree Arrives in DC
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Nov. 20, 2020
Planning for the delivery of the Capitol's Christmas Tree, fondly called the "Peoples' Tree" by many, is the responsibility of a different national forest every year. It's sort of like the passing of the Olympic torch, except this one is over 55 feet high and is illuminated by tens of thousands of brilliant LED lights, as well as being adorned with thousands of handmade ornaments from the children of the state of Colorado.

The E Forester
~Ron

Don P

Apparently the tree that went to Rockefeller Center inadvertently had a stowaway owl trapped in it. "Rocky" has been rehabilitated and returned to his stomping grounds.

Roxie

That was one adorable little owl. 
Say when

timberking

Didn't that tree come out of someones yard?

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SwampDonkey

I see NS harvested the Boston tree from Christmas Island (a municipality of Cape Breton, not an Island) this year. WWI Halifax explosion on Dec 6, 1917. Boston helped relief efforts following the aftermath. Been a tradition to send a tree since the '70's.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

I've had several slow trips recently, the trees are moving around here. From field to packing is usually a tri-axle trailer behind a 1 ton 4x4 hauling 4-500 trees. That all gets compressed, baled and stuffed into 53' trailers that then snake out of the county on roads that were never meant for that. They'll wrap up shortly after Thanksgiving and then it'll be quiet here till spring. The tractors, trucks and crews all head to FL for strawberries.

SwampDonkey

Cousin has been moving 1-2 trailer loads of bundled trees a day now for almost 2 weeks. This will continue into December. His crew is mostly local, but a couple Mexicans that have worked in the trees for months. It's a job that entails a lot more than shipping trees. It's almost 8-1/2 months of steady work. Trimming, spraying, mowing, harvest cleanup, tree planting, gathering wood, land prep, road upkeep (hauls gravel for roads every year), then cutting, tagging, bundling and shipping out trees at year end. Some head to the Bahamas. I don't know what all else. This is why a few smaller Christmas tree farms are abandoned around, all the work involved. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Just like a small veggie stand.  ;)  
Someone has to till, plant, weed, pick the garden.  ;D
But that is only a 4 month job around here. 
It's work!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!