iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modded muffler on Husky 455

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, August 12, 2017, 03:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

Today I got ambitious and modded the muffler on my old Husqvarna 455 Rancher, thought I'd share. After re-installing it I was surprised there there is a good bit better throttle response and it does seem to have a little more grunt pulling through a piece of oak I tested it on. Just trying to get it re-tuned now. So far I think it was worth what little effort I put into it.

I just need to add a couple more tack welds and order a spark screen for it it it'll be good to go  :)

Drilled the hole, bent the hole to direct the exhaust outward and cleaned out the muffler

Made a little deflector from an old piece of lawn mower exhaust pipe

Tack welded the deflector on and tried it out. That hole isn't very big so it didn't make it very much louder but it made it sound a little different. It's not any louder than my stock 372xp. I'm thinking I should have when up one more size on the hole but I figured I'd play it safe.

I couldn't find exactly what size holes people drill in the 455 exhaust, what would be recommended? I didnt want to make it too big on the first try. I drilled it out to 27/64". Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Canadiana

I like thr pro look of your mod. I hope the wlds went well. Great idea with making a deflector from old exhaust pipe. I have expanded the stock exhaust holes n deflector on my husky 570at in stages. The first 2 small expansions seemed to make the most difference and then not so much so i stopped. Not really any louder. More power in the cut. Burns a bunch more fuel. Smoked like a bugger the first couple starts after. Put about 8 tanks through it, that's about how far 5 tanks used to get me. I would do it again. Your Dual port seems more conventional
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Woodcutter_Mo

Thanks for the reply Canadiana.  I bet the at is nice in that situation as it re-tunes it self for the added exhaust flow  :)

I also opened the factory outlet on my dad's Stihl ms362 yesterday and it definitely leaned out some so I need to figure out the little red limiter caps on the ms362 carb as it is already maxed.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

Here's a couple better pics of the muffler installed, painted it black to keep the welds from rusting.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Canadiana

The only thing cooler than buying a fancy aftermarket muffler is building one. AT seems to be easier to work with but time will tell. Your 455 muffler looks very similar to my 570. The 570 hasn't been sold here for awhile but i see they still sell em in indonesia. Good to know when it's time to find parts. I am interested in hearing how much more fuel it burns if at all. Let us know in time EH

Canadiana

Did you have to rough up the muffler before paint? Confident it will stick?

Woodcutter_Mo

Ok, yea here in a month or two I will be using the saw more so I'll update later on about the fuel use ect.

As for the paint, I did wire wheel the muffler some before painting. If I were to do it again, I would rough up the surface a little more and cure the paint off the saw (in an outdoor oven or something). I believe this will work though..
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

teakwood

Can you post some pics of the 362 muffler? i have a 361 that i would like to muffler mod at some time and there is not much info out there about the 361
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: teakwood on August 15, 2017, 08:25:57 AM
Can you post some pics of the 362 muffler? i have a 361 that i would like to muffler mod at some time and there is not much info out there about the 361

On the 362 I just snipped the top of the deflector and folded it back so I could get a direct shot at the factory exhaust outlet, removed the spark screen and drilled it out to 1/2". I folded the deflector back down and will have to braze it. I believe most of the 362 muffler is stainless because it dulled the drill. I'll try to get a pic the next time I get a chance.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Thank You Sponsors!