iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2020, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Those are braces for rigidity. If I don't clamp those on the blade grabs the leg and it snaps over. I fear without all the clamps it might rip the bench out of the mill. I am not taking chances. Early on I had a leg grab and snap. That was enough for me. This is why I hate cutting legs.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I see said the blind man to the deaf wife on the telephone. I learned to slow down my cut on legs to prevent pulling them out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

try a finer, less angled blade, and ease into it.  I also worry about a bench as a projectile.  I have bent a guide roller bracket, but not from a bench, cuase I hand cut them with a fine Japanese pull saw.  "fine" meaning small teeth, not expensive. got it at Lowes a marples I think.  any fine saw should be ok.  if off a little, I tune the angle and 4 legs with a belt sander.  I set it on the floor, then flip it over and hit the two that are hittin.  it is easy to mix up as you flip it over.  I throw a chunk of masking tape on the legs.  upside down and backwards gets the best of us.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I think a flat on both top and bottom with square sides will be easier on the mill, than live edge and with a natural bottom side.  Since you like music, brings to mind the "big boned gal"  song, done by K.D. Lang et. al.   8) :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

OGH can you post a pic. of your tenons?  are they still "groovy"  man?  :) Depends on the wood, and moisture, but mine come out pretty even and smooth after getting my cutters tuned up and dialed in.

I like the clamp of the bench direct to the bed.

Old Greenhorn

The tenons are the same. The legs I am using now I had made beck in April. This method of sanding to fit is working quite well for me. It allows me the correct any mis-aligmnet or add a deviation to make it fit better. Given many decades of off hand grinding cutting tools to fairly precise shapes, it only takes me about 44 seconds per leg to make a nice squeak fit.

I have a couple of pull saws and use them for cutting off the tenons after gluing, but find the mill is more accurate for getting the legs even and flat. It just works for me but care must be excercised in the execution lest ones winds up wearing the Bench and blade as a necklace. ;D :D I think that would just be too gaudy for my taste.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

I like the dry leg, and wet seat so the hole shrinks up on the tenon.   :o :o :o :) :) :) :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

I use my HF pull saw to saw the excess tenon off the surface side of my bench then it will lay flat on my mill while I cut the legs to length. I have a 3{ tenon peg and am using 2" LE slabs so nearly an inch of excess on each bench. I use a 4 degree blade most of the time and ease into the cut. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Harry, meant to respond earlier, I do mine the same as you. I have a couple of pull saws, they work well.
 The last two days have been busy. My son has had his truck in my shop for a couple of weeks to replace the rear springs, get some frame welding done, do brakes and drums, new electric fuel pumps and a bunch of other stuff. He and his guys have come in to do work every other day or so balanced with the weather and he is putting in evenings as he can. It's an inconvenience for me, but I work around it and it's a big part of why I put the lofts in so I can work upstairs. They now complain (mildly) that it is too hot in the shop (70°), but them seem to muddle through. ;D Yesterday as they started to button things up on the truck, a new door 'showed up' for the back of the shop which they spent several hours putting in. I had no idea I needed a new door.
 First there was a door.

Then there was no door.

Then there was a door again.

My son had decided the sill rot was too bad and I needed a new door. I didn't think so, but I'll take it. I told them not to touch the inside trim, I have some maple I will try to do up nice, just for the heck of it. I started ripping and planing that today before this surprise work party showed up. I am having a hard time getting used to the windows in this door, but I will come around.

Today, they finally pulled the truck out, swept up, put tools away, and tried to make it like they found it. They are getting better at it.
 They also pulled in a pressure washer and did my back deck on the house which is dangerously slippery with years of pollen and moss. Also did some yard chairs, the front walk, and the breezeway area that is also covered in moss. They pretty much pressure washed everything in sight that needed it.

If it dries, I will get some deck treatment on it, I have a ton sitting here, but I am not sure when it will dry with the weather forecast. I may just treat it anyway and hope it holds, just to get the material used up, I have had it for years.
They hung a new gutter on my porch roof, we worked together to get a header and tarp up over the wood pile to help shed the rain and did a bunch of other stuff. They left at 3 to go do some of the regular work (fall cleanups, etc). It's not a roof, but it should help the rain and snow slide off. Certainly, it will get us through this first winter.

A pretty good day, nice to have these guys help me out. We used my rainwater system and pump to supply the pressure washer and it worked pretty dang well. The tank kept up with the 275 gallons they used and I pumped another 150 gallons from my backup barrels to refill it after they finished. The barrels are closed up now for the winter pretty much. If I can get it full again I want to hook up my 150 GPM gas pump with a 3/4 straight bore fire nozzle and blast out my culverts. That would be my shutdown process for the tank to empty it and close it off for the winter.

Yes, I have been working on stuff in the shop during all this over the days since my last update, mostly that sick cookie is on my mind, but I have been doing re-sanding and urethaneing the benches I have in work, a lot of tiny pours dripping epoxy into the 4 little open center cookies I am working on and also small pours to repair a break and fill other cracks in that commission table (sick cookie) I have. It's amazing how those few simple things can fill a day from 7am to 8pm, but they do.
 Tomorrow is another day, right?

Old Greenhorn

Short update, not a lot going on just filling my days with stuff that has to be done. Not even sure when I did some of this stuff, it just all flows together as I go from 'thing' to 'thing'.
 I have that sick cookie I have been working on in dribs and drabs. The other night I did a pour to finish the repair where I broke it off and then I pulled off what I guess some folks are calling a deep pour to fill in a natural void where the bark and maybe rot fell out.

Maybe you can see it better in this photo.

I have also been painting epoxy on the edges on this slab to give me a nice clean surface that will hold tape so I can do another pour to fill in the level where it drops off on one of the ears. Not sure how that is going to work or if I can keep it from leaking out given the irregular shape, but I would like to make the top as flat as possible. This one will take a lot of epoxy (for me) and I would hate for it to wind up on the floor. I am putting a lot of thinking time into this one and will be making a jig to pack in some backing material to the edges.

The entire ear around that deep pour drops off about 1/2" over a length of 6-10". If it works it will look pretty cool. SO my thinking here is 'go big or go home' and we will see what happens. The client expects something neat and glossy looking. I have a sanding and oiling session to do first to get the color right in this area before I do the pour.

The other stuff that has filled my days is already fleeting out of my head. I spent the afternoon yesterday helping a neighbor cut-split-stack. Easy to do because they all turned out to work and I brought my splitter and turned the neighbor loose with it, I bucked, his wife stacked (big surprise for me, she is one of the best and neatest stackers I have ever seen, blew me away. She is a city gal, never stacked before, nobody took time to teach her anything. She is a natural. Stacks better than me, no kidding. I was impressed.) I left them in good shape, but had to get off the my grandson's 5th birthday party. Early this morning I finished up the inside trim on the back door that I made from some ambrosia maple. I tried some stuff out on it like using tung oil (won't do that again, too dark) and spray urethane (eh, it's ok, but took 3 coats). I had some arbor coat gallons and when I opened them this morning one was solid so it went right in the dump trailer, other other I could mix so I used the airless sprayer and put a coat on the newly cleaned deck but a gallon was not near enough, so I came up short and just wound up doing the horizontal surfaces. It's supposed to rain tonight. I have 15 gallons of log home sealer so I may open one of those buckets tomorrow and see if that is usable to finish off the deck. I just want to get it treated to make it last a little longer,, don't care much what it looks like. The wife, OTOH, may have different thoughts, but I am fighting the season's at this point and I can't hear her over that noise. ;D
 After the debacle of trying to get the deck done (or not), I decided to have another debacle because as I was scrounging for the deck sealer I found the remnants of a 5 gallon bucket of floor and garage paint that I bought for the first loft I built. I figure it's nearly 5 years old now and probably going soon, so I opened it and after a half hour of stirring the color came back and it was pretty consistent, but REALLY THICK. I cleared out the Mule bay, swept, scraped and vacuumed the best I could. I called the boss and delayed dinner by and hour, then filled a tray and started rolling. That was yet another mistake in my day. The roller couldn't roll it. It was like pushing thin gooey cement. I finally gave up and just poured the paint on the floor and spread it with the roller. The right way (I know now) is to just squeegee it out. SO I may do another coat tomorrow morning, now that I have found a squeegee leaning on the wall outside the shop (in the dark). ;D
 To top off my comedy of errors day, I had thought to lock both the garage door and side door where I was painting in case either I forgot about the paint or my son came by and didn't know about it. Good idea right? Yeah, it was of course, but when I was done I realized both light switches I needed to shut off are right next to the door I locked (one in front of the door, and of course, one behind the door). I can't find a key to the door (assuming I have one). So now the floor looks OK, but I really didn't want to leave the lights on all night. Finally I realized there was a 14' piece of trim we had primed today for replacement use on the garage soffit, so I reached with that and shut off the lights. No big deal, but I felt like I could do nothing right today.
 Tomorrow is another day and I'll try again to get it right. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Well with the weather changing and daylight shorter I guess I am beginning to make the transition to working in the shop more and keeping the stove going. Still have a hard time keeping an overnight fire probably because I fill it around 8pm and am not getting back out until 12 hours later, add to that I am still burning junk wood and wet stuff from the slab pile and I am not too worried. The shop is always at least 62 when I get out there in the morning, so far.
 Yesterday I put a second coat of paint on the floor section, but this time with a squeegee which was a bit easier and faster, just not as neat. I let that dry all day and overnight. Started moving a few things back this afternoon between other tasks.

Still not sure how far I might go with this before spring, but my son got excited when he saw it and went and bought me 2 gallons of drylok so I could continue on. We shall see. Still want to float 100# or so of self-leveler to smooth off over the former grease pit. He has one of his guys that is really good at it, but who knows when they might show up. Could be this week, could be next month or later. No rush, just more work for me.
 I went back to work on that cookie today, it needed another pour (I think I am at about 20 by now, mostly small for holes) and now I am getting close on the major stuff so I had to level it up well. There is one 'wing' and this that is lower (tapers off) because of a felling cut and I am trying to make that wing level with the rest of the cookie before I do the final top pour. I had taped and damned it up yesterday and poured a full cup of epoxy. It didn't look too bad.

There were 2 tiny leaks that sealed themselves up eventually, but I ran out of height on the tape just as I ran out of epoxy. Today I increased the height and after careful leveling, I poured another full cup. Still not enough. The photo above is before today's pour. Looks like I still need nearly a 1/2" of fill out at the edge. I am not rushing this, I don't want to screw it up and I am pretty nervous about the whole project, I tried to talk them out of using this cookie, I really did. As long as I keep it clean I can just keep adding layers. To that end, I am now putting a tent over it to keep any stuff in the air from landing on it.

I sure hopes this looks pretty when I am done. The client wants 24" hairpin legs, so I ordered them today. When I finally get the top level I will flip it and start working on the bottom straps, which will all be odd cuts. I want to have support under it as much as possible because this cookie is too fragile to take a hit, let alone hold a screw. Hopefully the legs will show up and I can do some rough figuring on placement as I go. After the straps are done and I finish the bottom, I'll flip it back and finish the top.
 Other than that, not much done in the last couple of days, we had the Grandson's yesterday so I helped the 5 year old (his birthday yesterday) paint a little hobby knick knack box to keep his small treasures in. Right now, he makes me look good as a painter. :D
 Today, as it was not raining so I hooked up the gas water pump and used a fire hose to try to blow clear on of my culvert pipes with minimal results.
 Tomorrow is another day, we shall see what that brings.

Walnut Beast

Looks great. Since they put that nice door in for you with the window. Don't be standing around looking out 😂😂

Old Greenhorn

Funny you mention that. I will confess to glancing out the window when I pass by, but I don't stand there. Mostly I am wondering what my nutcase neighbor is up to now. But the funny thing is the windows keep catching me off guard. Every time I enter through the door on the opposite corner and see light in the far corner (new door) I think 'Dang it! some body left the dang door open again", then I realize it is just the window. 
When I am working at the bench next to that door I keep thinking somebody it just outside the door looking in (it is the end of the woodpile). Yeah, that door is throwing me off, but not in the way I would have thought.
 It does add more light to the bench area during the day, and outside the door for getting wood at night. It is also a lot tighter than the old one for sure. Every little bit helps.

farmfromkansas

Is there a different epoxy for joints than for fills?   Was thinking of using some for glue joints in my projects, and Doc mentioned hammer handles, thinking I might try that.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Nebraska

That big cookie is going to turn out very nice.

doc henderson

some of the casting resin that is clear and can be deep poured has less strength.  you can get the syringe double plunger style with a mixing nozzle for small stuff.  the deep stuff needs to remain clear and not over cook itself.  most brands will have a summary chart showing depth and strength.  that deep pour is big enough to help stabilize that chunk I think.  i just watched the glue webinar by @GeneWengert-WoodDoc on the NHLA website yesterday.  for epoxy as an adhesive, you want to keep the joint thick so there is enough chemical heat to cure the epoxy.  he spanned the gamut on glue and joint failure, from carpenters glue to urethane.  I would use the regular epoxy for a joint, and low viscosity to stabilize punky (Styrofoam) type wood.  @tule peak timber

tule peak timber

Doc, you are spot on.
  There are a number of different types of epoxys', meant to do different jobs.Certainly reading and understanding the manufactures intent and instructions is a must.Temperature, temperature, temperature......... ;D
I use about six or seven different types of epoxy in the shop,15 to 50 gallons a month total.
  PUR glues are second favorite, and hot melt PUR for repetitive work,jigs, etc.
 Frankiln Titebond 111 about a gallon a month, an excellent glue !  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

is the 111 meant to represent 3 (three)?  I assume.  my fav. also. occasionally some TB 1.  If you buy the gallon, but like the quart containers, I have called the company since you cannot buy the same top, and for free they have sent me new caps with the pull on/off cap.  seem to be a customer oriented company.  I buy gallons and refill the smaller ones.  You can add up to 10% water if the gallon gets to thick ect.  per the company.  thanks Rob.

Old Greenhorn

I am probably being very bad but right now I am only using one epoxy for everything and I have gotten lucky so far.... ;D. I hold to the "One Man, One gun, One Load" theory which I learned from another fella back when I was shooting a lot. The theory is you select one gun for yourself that fits and performs best with your abilities, then you work up the proper load for that gun for you that gives the best hitting power with the best accuracy you can maintain, then you work with that weapon and load until everything is totally natural and repeatable in any condition. At that time you can think about looking at another gun for a different purpose/use. 
 AT this time I am learning to adjust my mix as required watch the temps and how it behaves under different conditions so I can predict curing times, etc. As yet I have not found anything this brand is poor at but I don't do the kind of work Tule Peak does, probably never will reach that level, I am just a hacker and a faker at this stuff.
 I did my 3rd pour today to bring that wing level up, about another cup full as I work up my confidence. It is slowly getting there. I keep it tented all the time now to prevent any dust from getting on it between pours.
 Nebraska, I sure hope you are right, the client offered me a lot for this I would hate to disappoint him.

doc henderson

great lesson about the gun.  glad it is working for you.  if you do pours that are following the directions for the product you should be ok.  it looks like you are making progress.  I ignored the directions with the regular epoxy and did a thick poor, and it was smoking and bubbling, and looked like burnt candy.  I went too thick with some pine cone nuts.  It sanded out and looked ok.  I had to fill the holes where the bubbles were.  added "character".  do not get too brave with the chemical reaction.    :o   epoxy is not a gun!   :D :D :D.  love the story though.  

Old Greenhorn

Well those shooting days are pretty much over for me, it was BK (Before Kids) and got a little expensive. I was handloading and shooting 200 rounds during the week, and a few hundred more on weekends.
 As for the epoxy, I haven't had any incidents like yours....yet. but I have had a few catastrophic leaks, which is also expensive.

Old Greenhorn

Well a fairly boring day today, more of the usual. I did another pour level on that cookie end and it it still not up to level. I will be patient and do about a cup a day, maybe one more will do it, but I think I might need two. It is hard to guess. Just as I finished the pour my son showed up with his guy and we did the thinset leveler over the grease pit. Tricky stuff to work with and we weren't perfect but the floor is much flatter, an most important, much smoother.

After it hardened, I put a 2x6 across and can still see 1/2" belly in it. When the floor was first poured they put a slight taper in toward the pit and when we cemented over the pit we made it flush at the edge. So now we are trying to even that out and get a relatively flat floor.

I think we might have tried to work it too much as it got close to setting up, so we have some waves. You don't get much time with this stuff. ;D
We may get one more bag, mix it a little thin and just pour it out down the center and let it level itself, then call it a day. I will wait a month, then paint the floor in sections as I can make time. There are a couple more cracks I would like to fill, just because I can, before I paint.
 The rest of the day was just cleaning up and some more sanding on other projects.
 Tomorrow is another day.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I got up early in solidarity with my wife who had to leave at 5am to go work at the polls. I will go over to vote in a little bit. Let's hope for the best and 'that is all I got to say about that'. ;D
 The days are flying by and a lot of the time I don't feel like I am making any progress jumping from thing to thing but I guess it all moves forward a little each day.
 I am focused on that large punky cookie. Would love to get it done and delivered soon, but I have to take my time and not screw it up. Over the last few days I have done more filler pours and a couple of edge pours and spot sanding where needed. Right now I am working on the bottom to get that finished before I do a final sand/pour/sand/polish on the top then get it out quick before it gets dirty.
 The bottom is what it is:

After the power came back on yesterday I started working on the support straps. It is the only way I see this thing surviving for any length of time. I had planed up some ambrosia maple for this purpose last week and I cut and fitted them to give the best coverage I could manage without getting into curves. 

It was slow going drilling each screw hole and trying not to break through. I am holding the straps on with brass screws. (#10 x 2")  Then I test fitted the legs with just 2 screws in each so I have marker holes after sanding and finishing to drill the rest.

Of course I did the obligatory flip and test to see how it looked.

Then I took the legs off and top sanded the straps so the blend edges matched, then removed the straps and finished the sanding. Gave the straps and bottom one more coat of Tung oil and hopefully today I can finish off the bottom with a coat of urethane.
 In the last few days I have picked up all the fine grit sandpapers I need for polishing and yesterday the kit with the 3 compounds arrived so soon we will see what kind of a nightmare that might be. :D
 Considering I lost 6 hours in the power failure yesterday an only managed about 7 hours of work time I didn't do too bad. It is coming along.
 Today is another day, but first I have to vote, then get to work.

doc henderson

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

I did not see this to reply yesterday as, like your wife, my wife and I got up and spent the day working the polls. Long day but we had a good team to spend it with even though opposite parties. The lead was one of my wife's former students so it was a good visit.

Anyway I checked my crystal ball this morning and when the smoke thinned all I could see was a happy customer's face when he sees that slab.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!