iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey-cant hook ???

Started by Beaudeane, January 16, 2013, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaudeane

Can some of y'all educate me in the difference between a peavey & canthook? I saw on a couple sites, pics of each. Looked like only difference was a peavey has a point on the end & canthooks have more like a thumb on the working end. What's the different application for each tool or are they built for the same application ?? Thx
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Magicman

The difference that you noted is the only difference.  Some sawyers prefer the peavey because it can be stuck in the ground and is easier to find.  Unfortunately, that point will also stick into the ground when rolling logs causing difficulty.

Personally, I carry one peavey to be used when prying logs apart, etc. but my "go to" tools are three Logrite cant hooks. 

Each sawyer has their preference and their reasons for using each.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/Cant-Hooks-and-Peaveys

Logrite's page has a description.  I think an addition, a very important thing to learn is the difference between a logrite canthook or peavey and all the others.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

AdamT

I've only used my two wood handled cant hooks until sometime this past September when my customer had a peavey. I really liked it so much that I kept my cant hooks in the bed of the truck the whole time. My cant hooks work great for me, but when I buy a new one, its going to be a Logrite peavey. I really liked being able To stick the point in the ground and have it stay there until I needed it again!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

thecfarm

Jeff you beat me to it. I only use the peavey,the one with the point. I find it comes in handy as a pry point, or put the point between the logs to get them apart from each other. Also just stick the point in the ground and it will stand there waiting to be used again. I have never used a cant dog,  logrite_cool
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If you cut high quality hardwood lumber for furniture, the cant hook does not damage the cant to the same extent.  You don't want to be putting holes in your boards with the point of the peavy.  I think that it all depends on what you are cutting and what end product you are aiming for.  It does not matter so much with barn lumber or construction lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

speaking of logrite, my 60" peavey came in the mail last friday.  just in time to saw two hickorys for an old friend.  what a wonderful tool.  i'm already glad that i bought it.   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Red Clay Hound

Since my mill seems to be attracting a lot of big logs lately, I decided to order the LogRite 78" Mega Hook!  It was delivered this week.  It's a little heavy but I have been told it's a big improvement for moving the biguns! 8)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2013, 09:57:58 PM
If you cut high quality hardwood lumber for furniture, the cant hook does not damage the cant to the same extent.  You don't want to be putting holes in your boards with the point of the peavy.  I think that it all depends on what you are cutting and what end product you are aiming for.  It does not matter so much with barn lumber or construction lumber.

I get more damage from the hook than I ever have from the point.

Just sayin. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

isawlogs

Danny , explaine to me how one can damage a board with a peavy   ???   Are you using your peavy as a dart  :embarassed:    ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cedar Savage

Here's a video I found elsewhere on here....along about 11-12 minutes into it, shows some real fancy peavy work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvLnwys1OO4

ya can't do that with a cant hook....
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Okrafarmer

The Peavey and the Lombard Log Hauler-- along with Moxie-- great stuff from Maine!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

Okra,don't forget those DanGed red hotdogs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Ether cant hook or peavy can pinch hit for each outher but cant hooks were designed to flip logs/cants on the carriage peavy for log handling. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I have to get a peavy someday, I won't be sticking it in the ground around here untill spring.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

loggah

Yup ,ya got to love Moxie, or you hate it ,no in between. Peavey also made a log hauler to compete with lombard !! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

WDH

Quote from: isawlogs on January 16, 2013, 11:20:25 PM
Danny , explaine to me how one can damage a board with a peavy   ???   Are you using your peavy as a dart  :embarassed:    ;D

On a big cant, when turning, the point of the peavy can make a hole in the face of the next board.  Holes are not good with very high quality lumber.  The "thumb" of the cant hook does not penetrate to the same extent.  At least, that is my theory  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Quote from: Cedar Savage on January 16, 2013, 11:53:29 PM
Here's a video I found elsewhere on here....along about 11-12 minutes into it, shows some real fancy peavy work....

I just sort of skimmed through it, but saw very little peavey work, but a lot of use of pike poles.

Finn1903

Peavey is also a manufacturer of wooden handle log tools, similar to Logrite aluminium tools. 
I have a wooden handle cant hook from Peavey. 
Another useful tool I found is the Pickeroon.  I keep this around for grabbing and moving blocks and small logs.  Great tool to save from bending over to pick up blocks or trying to drag around a small log.  I also keep the pickeroon around the wood pile, many uses for this tool.  Logrite calls it a Hookearoon.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Okrafarmer

On the statue of Paul Bunyon in Bangor (which they made about 1/16 scale, by the way  :laugh: ) he is carrying an axe and a peavey.

:P

Paul was born in Maine. I think when he was a teenager, the "town meeting" was invented to decide what to do with him! Since Mainers never drop a tradition, the town meeting has been held ever since. . . .

I heard he hides out in Alaska now, 'cause it's the only place he's found where there's still room enough to hide between the mountains so people don't come around asking for his autograph all day long!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SPD748

I debated the same question for several weeks. I finally gave up and ordered a 48" peavey from Logrite. I can't wait till the doorbell rings!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Jeff

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 17, 2013, 11:30:18 AM
Paul was born in Maine. 

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bunyan

"Paul Bunyan is a lumberjack figure in North American folklore and tradition. One of the most famous and popular North American folklore heroes, he is usually described as a giant as well as a lumberjack of unusual skill, and is often accompanied in stories by his animal companion, Babe the Blue Ox.

The character originated in folktales circulated among lumberjacks in the Northeastern United States of America and eastern Canada, first appearing in print in a story published by Northern Michigan journalist James MacGillivray in 1906. However, the stories found widespread popularity after they were reworked by William Laughead for a logging company's advertising campaign beginning in 1914. The 1922 edition of Laughead's tales inspired many others, and the character thereafter became widely known across the United States and Canada. As Bunyan's popularity came only after the stories appeared in print, some commentators have thought of him as an inauthentic "fakelore" character.[1]"

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on January 17, 2013, 11:36:47 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 17, 2013, 11:30:18 AM
Paul was born in Maine. 

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
???  :P That's what the book I had when I was a kid said. I think it was written by Steven Kellog.

I made the town meeting part up. You'd have to know Maine to understand that part!

Jeff

I think he is claimed by several state, with the lake states being the most adamant about it. But it is kind of a mute point because unless santa or the easter bunny tells us the actual truth it will always be debated. However being from Michigan, it is mandatory that I insist he was born here.  Don't let CHARLIE see this, or there will be a brouhaha  :D

Okrafarmer

Ok, I admit we are debating something that is very difficult to prove!

Our tradition was that Paul was born in Maine and wandered over to the Great Lakes as a young man.

Thank You Sponsors!