iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Order of EWP

Started by Stephen1, November 04, 2019, 07:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I just quoted and received an order for 2268 LF of 6x6 EWP, milled to a nominal 5.5x5.5 at 8' and 10' lengths
I have done work for this gentlemen before. Great guy to do buisness with.
I now need to source the logs.
It would be great to be able to buy only 8' and10' lengths.
There is no concern about free of heart or center cut. It would be great to be able saw more than 1 per log. 
My real concern efficiency, and time as winter is fast approaching and it needs to be done by December
What size small end are best sizes to maximise that size with out a lot of waste?
Stephen!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

btulloh

7.779" diameter small end inside the bark. That's of course a perfect log. So 8.5 or 9 inches small end 
HM126

Bruno of NH

8' and 10' should be cheap and easy to find most big mills don't want 8' and 10' pine.
Lots find there way to my mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GAB

If my math is correct and the logs are straight a 20" diameter small end should get you five 6X6's.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

highleadtimber16

When making boxed heart 6x6 I prefer a 9" top. Gives me a bit of side lumber too depending on the length of the log.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

moodnacreek

The problem with buying 8 and 10' w.p. that I had was you got all top logs.   In good diameter logs this order would be fast with a big edger.

btulloh

Absolute minimum log diameters for 6x6's.  (Allowing 1/8" kerf.)

I usually saw 5 5/8 on SYP to end up with 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 after drying, FWIW. 
HM126

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Remember that there are no perfect logs; a little sweep, slightly oval, flutes, etc.  Log setup and face opening often determine what your log will actually yield.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Exactly, there are very few perfect logs. 

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

donbj

Good info in those diagrams. They have valuable information to quickly assess a log. They also say "everything works on paper". But good info.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

btulloh

The diagrams are of course for perfect logs and perfect sawyers.  The practical sawyer would add enough to the log diameter to accommodate reality.
HM126

Magicman

For square cants, "half again bigger" works very well.  ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

I have been sourcing the logs, RP or WP , the RP comes out of plantaions and so down in small end size, ussually around the 16"
The white pine is all over the map as they are coming out of a bush lot, natural growth. I can specify small end but then the cost goes up. It is a challange to source, a sharp learning curve to be sure. 
I figure I need 7k bd ft of logs which is a truck load or two
The last sawing I did for him, I picked the logs at a local tree service, hit 2 nails, but still made money. 

Thank You Sponsors!