iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel in lube tank

Started by clintnelms, October 01, 2016, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: clintnelms on October 02, 2016, 04:59:02 PM
Well I drained the lube tank and filled it with diesel. Went and cut down a large SYP. Spent the whole day getting the logs out the woods. The 16 foot logs I cut were too much for my tractor to lift so I had to drag them out and to the mill. By the time I got them all out and the ends sealed with anchorseal I was whooped. I don't know how real loggers do it. I managed to get a ramp rigged up so I could roll it up on the mill with the tractor. So that's where I'm at now. I'll try some milling next weekend using the diesel and see how well it works.

Not to present a sarcastic answer, but real loggers do it with real logging equipment, skidders, etc.

It sound like you're doing good, if you're not used to all the ups and downs of logging, you're very likely to be wooped at the end of the day.

Nothing to be upset with, it's normal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

SYP does not need end sealing. 

I am interested in your results with that fresh felled Pine.  What sawmill do you have?  Adding it to your profile helps us to remember.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clintnelms

Quote from: Magicman on October 02, 2016, 05:12:54 PM
SYP does not need end sealing. 

I am interested in your results with that fresh felled Pine.  What sawmill do you have?  Adding it to your profile helps us to remember.   ;D

Hey Magicman. It should be on my profile. Maybe it's not in the right place. I'll check it out and see. Anyway I have a Woodland Mills HM126. I'll let you know how it turns out. I did finally finish setting up my trailer like yours with the winch. Used it once so far. Works great. Just need to figure out some better ramps.

clintnelms

Quote from: Chuck White on October 02, 2016, 05:05:46 PM
Quote from: clintnelms on October 02, 2016, 04:59:02 PM
Well I drained the lube tank and filled it with diesel. Went and cut down a large SYP. Spent the whole day getting the logs out the woods. The 16 foot logs I cut were too much for my tractor to lift so I had to drag them out and to the mill. By the time I got them all out and the ends sealed with anchorseal I was whooped. I don't know how real loggers do it. I managed to get a ramp rigged up so I could roll it up on the mill with the tractor. So that's where I'm at now. I'll try some milling next weekend using the diesel and see how well it works.

Not to present a sarcastic answer, but real loggers do it with real logging equipment, skidders, etc.

It sound like you're doing good, if you're not used to all the ups and downs of logging, you're very likely to be wooped at the end of the day.

Nothing to be upset with, it's normal!

Your absolutely right. I'm hoping to get a larger tractor in the next year or so. I have a Kubota L3800 now and it does pretty good but lacks on the lifting power on the FEL I need.

thecfarm

40hp tractors lift logs pretty easy and safe. Well,I mean logs that someone would turn with a peavey or cantdog is what I mean.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clintnelms

Quote from: thecfarm on October 02, 2016, 05:45:38 PM
40hp tractors lift logs pretty easy and safe. Well,I mean logs that someone would turn with a peavey of cantdog is what I mean.

I plan on getting a 45 or 50hp.

WDH

If you get a Kubota, look at the M series.  They are built more heavy duty for farm use.  The L series is more of the utility line. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rougespear

I use diesel. Maybe consumed 1 gallon in probably 5000 bf of cutting. Its wiped on via a F3 felt wick like Cooks does. 12v solenoid controls on/off, and a needle valve flow. Drips about every 2-3 seconds into the wick. I have a 3-position switch on my control panel governing the lube solenoid: off, on, and the third position uses a proximity sensor to only turn the lube on when the blade is engaged. I use the 3rd position on the switch most of the time.  Works amazing!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Joe Hillmann

I use straight diesel but only a few drops per cut.  I would have to be working a long day to go through a half gallon.  I think atf could color the wood.  Also on the last cut before I take a blade of I let a lot of diesel drip on it so the blade is perfectly clean a the end of the last cut.  It makes sharpening easier.

Garys Mill

i use diesel up here in saskatchewan all the time plus 30 to minus 30 works better than any other concoction i have seen a drip every few seconds in our white spruce or pine and blade stays clean 5 gallons lasts forever and never found it hurts band belts yet.

clintnelms

After everyone's advice I did go ahead and try it and it's worked great. Still on the same tank since I originally posted this topic. Of course I don't mill as much as most of you do I'm sure.

Rougespear

Just a word of caution: I used normal vinyl tubing from my lube tank (a re-purposed water tank) to the solenoid and on to the wick.  About 10kBF into its service life the solenoid was sticking open.  After some troubleshooting, I realized the diesel is eating both the tank and the vinyl line and leaving a sticky residue on the inside of the lines and the solenoid, so sticky in fact that the solenoid's return spring was unable to overcome the resistance.  I had to clean the solenoid several times so that it would close.  My "to-do" list for the sawmill this winter includes changing the lube tank to a metal one, and replacing the vinyl lines with fuel lines.  I'm telling you this because if your system is designed for water-based lubricants, you may have similar issues as me.

Your mileage may vary...
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Kbeitz

Cheap tanks can be had at the junkyard off garden tractors.
They will handle diesel with no problem.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

Woodland Mills uses an aluminum tank. Not sure about the hose. No problems so far, but thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

bandmiller2

When you change hydraulic or transmission fluid in your equipment save it and apply with a wick. Wick will also help keep your band clean, rust will be less of a problem too. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

esteadle

Along the same lines as roguespears comments, I used diesel one season, and it worked fine as a lubricant. But a year later, I found myself replacing a lot of rubber parts.... the bandwheel tires, my drive belts, fuel lines, and a couple of hydraulic hoses. I can't say for sure that it was the diesel, but after that I've not used it again, and haven't replaced any of those things since. Now, I use water with a little bit of laundry detergent, or, if sawing pine, some pine-sol. Or I saw dry in the winter if it's too cold for lube.

C0ke

I guess I must be crazy as I only use straight water. Mostly sawing cedar though. Nice and easy to cut.

clintnelms

Quote from: C0ke on November 30, 2016, 06:37:47 PM
I guess I must be crazy as I only use straight water. Mostly sawing cedar though. Nice and easy to cut.

Straight water doesn't work for the sappy SYP I saw.

Garys Mill

i use diesel in my tk 2200 all the time works from plus 30 down to minus 30 never had a problem cleans bands lubes great,5 gals lasts for months need very little.

hacknchop

I use water pinesole 1 cup in 1 gallon add windshield washer antifreeze as needed according to temperature works well is cheap and yes I saw a lot of eastern wine and red pine I did use diesel on the  heartwood double cut though and was happy with outcome .
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!