One more of the log

Closeup of the grain and colour

Our little Sthil 020T pruning saw on the log

As low as the mill would cut.

Lumber from the Euc log

The same lumber

Taranaki snow on the Euc pile

Alf and Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Doc

Purdy stuff Ernie!

Is Euc a hardwood?

Doc

Ernie

Shore is Doc, Lots of blade sharpening  every 2 hours on carbide teeth.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Doc

I might have to investigate shipping on a couple of small blocks of that stuff if you might be interested in selling a few. That is some pretty wood!

Will pm you later with details of what I am looking for.

Doc

Ernie

Doc

Your profile gives no clue where you are, I know shipping to Antarctica is really a problem, I trust that you are not there :D :D :D :D

Ernie

Ianab

I already posted on your 'what is this?' thread  :)

Get plenty of weight on top of the stack and space the stickers close. Mine looked very similar but the pink colour faded as it dried. It will probably shrink a lot too.
Very hard and strong timber though.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bavarian in Brazil

Here is Eucalyptus Tereticornis also called Forest Red Gum. I made a door out of it and also some furniture. This variety of Gum Tree is actually quite stable. It also is quite durable in the weather but not in the ground. It weighs in about a ton per cubic meter and is harder than oak.

You have to drill it to nail it. When the surface is fresh it is reddish/pink but when it gets a little sun it becomes beautifully dark red.

Here is the tree to it:

Ernie

Howdy bavarian in Brasil

Great door.  eucs are funny to work with as I am finding out, Did you see my floor?

I thinks it a mixture of tasmanian Blue gum and Euc delegatensis but I'm not sure.

Ernie

arnold

Well ernie you got the worst type of euc to learn on(maybe not for practice) but it looks like ovarta or macarthurii or some other swamp euc. The size is of concern and they will test your skills. My guess is the logs are only about 30 to 40 years old. Recently I milled a log that was 10ft in dia. and 18 ft long . The wood was only good for garden sleepers.
Doc,
Some of the species of logs that I mill are Tasmanian blackwood, Elm, monterey cypress, London plane, Rimu. Matai, Totara. I also have a selection of what is known as swamp Kauri. THese trees fell over somewhere between 1000 to 60000 years ago from a cataclismic eruption all those years ago.
Arnold

Doc

Ernie,

I am in the Southeastern area of the US. In Alabama to be exact.

I have been asked in a pm what I had planned for this stuff if I was to get any of it. Again I say it is pretty!

I am amongst other things a small time knifemaker, and this stuff looks like great handle material. Anybody tell me how well it turns?

I woudl love to find some pistachio too, but alas I seem to be out of luck there.

I am not looking for large amounts of anything. Just a few feet of 2" x6" pieces.

Doc

sawmillsi

Hi lads,

I hope you have been 'flat sawing' the euc!

If you don't, like the song goes, 'if you go down to the woods today, you'll be in for a big suprise'!

If you 'q' saw it, it will pull up every where and same when you dry.

Also, when drying, try and put the heart up on the top few layers of your packs (this will eliminate most of the cupping likely) and weight the top (we use the offcuts from the log).

Simon

Ernie

Gidday Si

We flat sawed the top 1/3 of the log then q'sawed the middle and flat again at the bottom, Not too much warp on the butt log, worse on the second and I'll let you know on the third,  fourth and fifth.

We stacked the 6 meter 6 X 2's on edge with fillets horzontally and vertically, on the bottom of the pile, that seemed to take care of the bow and the warp, fortunately we had no propellors to deal with.  It sure was easier than the old Alaskan c'saw mill we used a few years ago!!!

We sure love milling, maybe one day we might even sell some.

Alf and Ernie

Thank You Sponsors!