iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

285 husky

Started by treestump, July 11, 2020, 10:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treestump

years ago I had 2 285 huskies but I bought an 064 stihl and sold them but always regretted getting rid of them (needed the money to buy beer)  But now many years later through E-bay and some trading I now have 3 285s and a 2100 husky so now I am in seventh heaven  also have other huskies a 254 that never seems to wear out a couple 372s a 362 and others

treestump

Don't get me wrong, the 064 was a good saw, it used half the gas that the 285 used and was lighter and cut the same amount of timber

Pine Ridge

Sounds like you've got a good collection of huskies. I've never owned or been around a 285. I also had an 064 stihl that i really liked, great power to weight. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Spike60

Not often that any of us get to correct those "shouldn't have sold it" mistakes that we all make in life. (1966 Dodge Coronet 500 440CI) But nice that you were able to do that and get your Husky collection started.

285CD's aren't all that easy to find either. I've got one that runs real nice. Has good power for the weight class that it's in. Much more so than the 77cc 480CD that is similar in weight. 480's use the same top end that was used on the L77. Has to be the worst "weight program" ever. But the thinking at this time was to separate the fuel and oil from the heat of the crankcase. Made sense with the fuel, but then it became clear that keeping the chain oil warm had benefits, so back in the crankcase it went, which is where it still is today.

Just some Sunday morning rambling here, but Jonsered never got the fuel tank out of the crankcase while they were still an independant company. The last Jonsered only chassis which was introduced well after the Elux buyouts, (2051/2054/2055), still had the fuel tank in the crankcase.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

I had at one point a back-up 80 & 90 in smaller timber. On a sunny, warm day if you left those saws in the sun the fuel would boil and you'd have hell to pay starting them again. However, if you remembered to put them in the shade you'd be OK.

My original 80 is still going some 40+ yrs later. I don't know how you could ask more from a saw and that saw put me on the road to other Jonsereds.

Kevin

slice107

I got a 285 I had to change the crank case on cause one of the bar studs riped part of the casting out. I need to order a new clutch drum for it but otherwise its one of my favorite saws. I wouldn't want to run it all day but to pull it out and cut a cord of wood every once in a while is great. I got the saw from my grandpa but I never remember him using it.

Also for parts I had a local marine witch used to be a husqvarna dealer and they had all sorts of old model husky saws. there musta been 6 more crank cases for 285 there but they ended up sending them to scrap...
Stihl 028, Husqvarna 288,285, Stihl MS500i, Ford 8n.

Huztle/Farmertech 36" CS mill

Norwood HD36

Huskybill

Don't forget we can put a 2100 piston/ cylinder on a 285, meaning parts is parts when needed.

Real1shepherd

I don't know many people who would transplant a 2100/2101 P&C into a 285. Given the price of a used 2100/2101 P&C and the value of a complete 2100/2101 versus the 285, it makes little sense.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!