iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spare chains

Started by trapper, July 16, 2020, 08:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

What do you use to keep your spare saw chains in.  The box from the dealer is pretty flimsy.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

lxskllr

Sometimes the factory box, sometimes a ziploc beef jerky(or similar) bag.

JJinAK

I have "borrowed" several of the sandwich sized Tupperware containers from the kitchen.  They work great, and once you get done explaining to your wife, they're trouble free.....
MS461
MS362

sawguy21

I wouldn't even go there. ;D Ziplocks are great.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Quote from: trapper on July 16, 2020, 08:27:20 AM
What do you use to keep your spare saw chains in.  The box from the dealer is pretty flimsy.
Get another chainsaw and store it on that. That way you don't have to take time to change it :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

421Altered

Chains with a bunch of drive links I use the plastic box that dishwasher detergent comes in, the type that is in a little plastic capsule.

Cord_Nipper

I just tape up the factory box with duct tape.
But the Tupperware idea is a pretty good one!

hedgerow

In my shop they get stored on a peg board. One area for ones to sharpen and one area for sharpen ones. I have some Tupperware containers that I bought at a garage sale years ago that I carry chains in the saw trailer to the timber. I have three different size chains 16 inch 20 inch and 36 inch for my big saw.  

mrcaptainbob

My wife keeps me well hydrated in the warmer weather by using a powdered drink mix in water. The one I'm looking at is 'natural cranberry apple'. Comes in a nice plastic container that weighs 2.3 oz. It's about 4.5 inches tall, two inches across and has a nice lipped lid that keeps a nicely folded chain safe from damage and rain. I mark the lid with what chain is in there. Storage is easy. I always take two extra for each of the saws that I'm using for backups.

sablatnic

Spare chains - mostly on the spare saws, but also in ziplocks in a cardboard lined room in the tool box.

Iwawoodwork

This topic got me thinking about putting saw chains in something as I have always put them in a rope loop to hang or carry. So thing about something to protect store them in I came up with old VHD video tape plastic boxes. the wife a had a bunch of copied tapes(maybe 30) that we took out of the boxes and discarded. the clear plastic (some are black) boxes are easy to mark the length and size of chain with a permanent marker.  Thanks for getting this discussion topic going.

Thank You Sponsors!