iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden buttons

Started by Wallys World, October 30, 2018, 08:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

I have a local artisan that would like some wooden buttons. Should I make them out of a board with the grain or across the grain? She wants 1 hole in the center.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Dan_Shade

I would think that you would want face grain for buttons, not end grain  

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

IMERC

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 30, 2018, 08:48:04 PM
I would think that you would want face grain for buttons, not end grain  

agreed..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Weekend_Sawyer

I'd like to know how they attach with one hole in the center.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ianab

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 31, 2018, 08:52:18 AM
I'd like to know how they attach with one hole in the center.

The idea is they attach to one piece of wood with a single screw. Then the button overhangs or engages in a slot on another piece or wood. Allows for a sliding connection that caters for wood movement. Often used to attach table tops to the apron underneath.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Wallys World

This lady owns an alpaca farm. She spins her own yarn and thread from the alpaca. She wraps thread thru the center hole around to the edge and it is sown in the center back to the garment. She is trying to recreate really old school look for some of her line.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!