iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

transfer pump for diesel-heating oil

Started by thecfarm, June 15, 2012, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

We go through some diesel this time of year. We mow alot with a 30hp tractor and than I use some with my tractor. We can use 15 gallons a week. I do buy off road diesel, which was just under $4 a gallon. I can drop $60 mighty fast each week. I can buy heating oil for about $3.50,the same thing. My oil tank is in the basement,about a 7 foot drop. I would also have to run a smaller hose through my fill pipe which is not a straight shot into the tank. I have two 90° turns. I don't really have the money to spend $200 on a pump,but don't have the money to pay 50 cents more a gallon either. What's a good pump? I don't really mind turning one by hand but with a 7 foot drop I don't need to cause anymore pain to my shoulder either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

thecfarm
That is only carrying three 5gal cans up the steps each week.  Shouldn't be too bad, and will save you the pump expense. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

There is no way I will fill them in the basement. I know I will spill some and smell up the house. I had all ready thought of that and said to myself that there is no way that I won't spill some. I'm not that careful of a person. My tank too I don't think is high enough to get a 5 gallon can under it either. So than I would have to fill up a gallon or 2 gallon can and carry that up or put that into another can.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

if the diesel cops are reading this they will find you. there is a law against using heating oil in a diesel off road or not. even off rd fuel is low sulfur. the co that delivers my diesel fuel said something about a $10,000 fine for using heating oil as off rd fuel

Mooseherder

I fueled up at a station in Presque Isle, Maine a few weeks ago and was surprised to see this offering at the pump.  First time I had seen this choice.  I opted to pay the 4.26 price just in case someone was watching.
There was a time in my life you can bet I would have chosen differently. ;)
I think there was around a thirty cent difference.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: snowstorm on June 16, 2012, 09:16:10 AM
if the diesel cops are reading this they will find you. there is a law against using heating oil in a diesel off road or not. even off rd fuel is low sulfur. the co that delivers my diesel fuel said something about a $10,000 fine for using heating oil as off rd fuel

Around here heating oil and offroad diesel are one in the same. My inlaws heat with oil and the delivery man fills their basement tank and then fills the farm tank at the same time from the same nozzle, then he comes over to my place and fills my farm tank without resetting the counter on his tank as it is all billed to me (just keep track of how much went into the house vs. farm for tax purposes). It is all just dyed low sulfur diesel.

And even if it was illegal who/how are they going to catch you?

Gary_C

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on June 16, 2012, 10:36:11 AM
Around here heating oil and offroad diesel are one in the same.

Very true. They do not make a higher sulfur fuel anymore as even off road engines are limited to ULSD. And they do not allow even home heating oil burners to spew out high sulfur emissions. So home heating oil is essentially the same as off road and highway fuel.

The only difference between home heating oil and off road fuel is the off road fuel carries a minimum cetane requirement. But the suppliers do not carry two separate inventories as the cost to produce both is the same. So they both come out of the same tank. Sure, some suppliers claim to add beneficial additives to their premium fuels, but I've found little difference in the fuel properties.

So the only difference between the three fuels is off road and home heating oil has red dye and supposedly no taxes and highway fuel carries over 50 cents highway tax, depending on the amount of state road tax. And the red dye is what they use to catch tax evaders.

But that does not mean the three fuels have the same pricing structure. And they do not charge for red dye.  ::)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

shinnlinger

A buddy of mine keeps carful records and has a diesel Jetta and has a long commute.  He used to burn off road diesel (illegally, but his logic was who pulls over VW Jettas to check the gas?) but has found he gets better milage with the onroad stuff for some reason and has found it more cost effective to pay the extra 30 cts a gallon.

While this makes no sense to me he swears its true.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

snowstorm,yep,I know. I knew this before my FIL forgot to remove his pump on his tank.  ::)  The delivery guy had a fit. If i was delivering I would knock on the door and tell him I have to make another delivery can you remove whatever you have on top of your tank for me. I have seen the oil truck go up on top of the years a few years ago when the paper company was having that cut off.
I would not take a chance on a car or truck at the pump. The place that I get the off road from has on road diesel on the other end of the pump.

snowstorm

the off rd fuel in maine has the same sulfur content as on rd they are bolth ultra low 15 parts per million. the only difference is the dye. dont forget we have left coast emissions laws

dolittle

I bought a Fill-Rite electric pump and it mounts on the tank through a tapped fitting but their expensive.  Also, added on another 20 ft rubber hose to the nozzle.  Could you run the hose through a near by window?  My brothers neighbor uses a hand pump to fill his 2120 and says it only takes a few minutes (don't know the lift).

thecfarm

Could do the window,but the hose would have to be wiped clean,it would have fuel on it. There again I'm not too careful,so that would not be a good idea. I would probaly make a mess.

Slabs

I've used an old oil burner pump.  It's kinda slow but if you knew how much you wanted you could run the pump motor on a fan timer available at Lowes.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

snowstorm

here is the answer no pump needed. all you have to do is call the state they will send you the forms to fill out. any fuel used off road you can apply for a refund. seems like it can be done every 3 months. i only do it at tax time. the feds have a different form. you wont get the full $.55 but its close. and that $3.50 heating oil your oil dealer paid less than 3 bucks for. i know some that haul oil as they put it the petal trucks get about $.50 a gal to deliver

Norm

I'd search CL for a used 250gal tank for outside.

shinnlinger

a renter filled up an oil tank in a place designated for demolition about 1 month before he left.  At first I drained out the bottom drain, but that took forever, so I took a crank pump like they make for 55 gallon drums and stuck it in one of the top ports.  Because the tank was in the basement, I was fortunate that the pump had a two piece suction pipe, so I could put one piece in the tank at a time (don't let go!) and clear the ceiling.  The crank promptly broke, but that was actually good, because I then took a grinder and made a hex shape on the pump shaft and fit a socket to it and ran the pump with my cordless drill.  I ran the fuel out thru a crack in the foundation and filled a 55 gallon drum.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!