iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling wedge pouch and hammer?

Started by Dieseltwitch, June 22, 2016, 10:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexHart

I stumbled on this handle kind of by happenstance ordering stuff from Baileys a couple years ago.   

I have a bunch of old axe heads I've kind of accumulated/inherited from grandfathers and such and I now have three of these put together.   Its my favorite axe (handle mostly... put whatever head you want/have on it) ever for driving wedges.   Feels more like a maul or baseball bat or something than a normal axe.    I've dug up a link in case anybody wanted to throw caution to the wind and splurge 13 dollars and 46 cents plus some shipping :) 

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Axes-Mauls/Replacement-Axe-Handles/Single-Bit-Axe-Replacement-Handles/Link-Seymour-27-Hickory-Replacement-Handle-for-Single-Bit-Axes-LK-124-19.axd

Item #: 15860  Link/Seymour 27" Hickory Replacement Handle for Single Bit Axes 

RHP Logging

Quote from: AlexHart on June 24, 2016, 10:56:45 PM
I stumbled on this handle kind of by happenstance ordering stuff from Baileys a couple years ago.   

I have a bunch of old axe heads I've kind of accumulated/inherited from grandfathers and such and I now have three of these put together.   Its my favorite axe (handle mostly... put whatever head you want/have on it) ever for driving wedges.   Feels more like a maul or baseball bat or something than a normal axe.    I've dug up a link in case anybody wanted to throw caution to the wind and splurge 13 dollars and 46 cents plus some shipping :) 

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Axes-Mauls/Replacement-Axe-Handles/Single-Bit-Axe-Replacement-Handles/Link-Seymour-27-Hickory-Replacement-Handle-for-Single-Bit-Axes-LK-124-19.axd

Item #: 15860  Link/Seymour 27" Hickory Replacement Handle for Single Bit Axes

Looks like a rafting handle.
Buckin in the woods

mills

When I'm cutting I wear a tool belt from Home Depot with suspenders attached and mix and match pouches. I normally carry two wedges, a tape, bar wrench, and a short handled four lb. sledge. I could never find an ax that would hold up to very much pounding.

Oh, and two chain saws.  :)

Plankton

Quote from: Dieseltwitch on June 24, 2016, 02:47:53 PM
Quote from: Plankton on June 24, 2016, 06:48:14 AM
Those cable cutters are neat, I just found a super old school one in the corner of the shop now I'm not quite as excited to try it out ;)
You guys must have more patience then me I didn't even come close to doing anything to my cable with an axe. Of course I was trying to cut it off the winch drum.
I gave up and went the easy route, generator and anglegrinder.

Go get one of the Milwaukee M18 grinders. super useful for field work! and battery life is actually pretty good!

Oh yeah definitly, it's on the list to buy I love the m18 stuff as far as battery tools go.

FirewoodFactory

I thought double bit axes were for cutting cables:  Sink axe into stump, pull cable over axe, hammer time.  I see no other use for them.  ;) 

Making your own pouch shouldn't be a big deal.  If you don't sew I bet you know someone who does.  Give them the stack of wedges you want to carry and set them loose on the problem.

I was never a professional faller but had similar kit for doing ironwork:  Bolt bag and wrench sheath.  I experimented with a couple bolt bag ideas but actually settled on a store bought carpenters' nail pouch and made a leather belt sheath for the wrench.  There are always choices.
I'm just a welder pretending to be a sawyer.

RHP Logging

Quote from: mills on June 25, 2016, 06:02:25 AM
When I'm cutting I wear a tool belt from Home Depot with suspenders attached and mix and match pouches. I normally carry two wedges, a tape, bar wrench, and a short handled four lb. sledge. I could never find an ax that would hold up to very much pounding.

Oh, and two chain saws.  :)

Are you using splitting wedges?
Buckin in the woods

mills

No, I carry the plastic Hard Head wedges, but I keep a steel splitting wedge in the skidder to use if I get in a bind. I can get by with the two for most of everything I cut, but will work around the ones that have to be pulled against a heavy lean until Dad or my son has time to run the skidder for me.

RHP Logging

Quote from: mills on June 27, 2016, 05:17:06 AM

No, I carry the plastic Hard Head wedges, but I keep a steel splitting wedge in the skidder to use if I get in a bind. I can get by with the two for most of everything I cut, but will work around the ones that have to be pulled against a heavy lean until Dad or my son has time to run the skidder for me.

I Asked because I've never heard of going through axes. Just trying to figure out what you would hit with them to cause them to not hold up.
Buckin in the woods

thenorthman

and that is why I don't use the hard head wedges, that and they are heavy.  Axes are not meant to be striking metal, the poll (the part that looks like a hammer face) is not hardened nor should it be hardened, its meant just to add weight, the fact that some of them  come in a handy flat face that happens to be good at smacking wedges is just a bonus, its also why most axes have a rounded poll, to dissuade folks from using them as hammers.

Many a good axe has been ruined by folks beating on steel wedges, railroad spikes, other axes, mauls etc.   
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

Quote from: thenorthman on June 27, 2016, 09:17:44 PM

and that is why I don't use the hard head wedges, that and they are heavy.  Axes are not meant to be striking metal, the poll (the part that looks like a hammer face) is not hardened nor should it be hardened, its meant just to add weight, the fact that some of them  come in a handy flat face that happens to be good at smacking wedges is just a bonus, its also why most axes have a rounded poll, to dissuade folks from using them as hammers.

Many a good axe has been ruined by folks beating on steel wedges, railroad spikes, other axes, mauls etc.
i have some i found in the woods that are so misshapen, they can't be hung on a new handle of any size. the hole has been collapsed.

Thank You Sponsors!