iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking the set out

Started by FarmingSawyer, December 14, 2014, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

For those with a single tooth CatsClaw setter (and others, too, perhaps) I did this to reduce a 0.025" set so I could reset to 0.020: I removed the spring-loaded band height adjustment screws so the band would rest on the base of the setter. I actuated the handle a couple of times resetting 4 to 5 teeth at a time and advanced the blade. The set changed to 0.015 (too much) but it was my first time so next time I won't be as aggressive. Pretty simple. I wish I had thought of it 17 years ago.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I had this made a few years ago, and it works fast and easy to make your set uniform!

Just put the blade in between and pull the blade backwards through the rollers!

I usually set my blades .025-.028, and when they get dull, I clean them, then run them through the rollers and they (the way the rollers are set now) get set back to .020-.022!

Speeds things up when I go to set the blades because now the blade will be a uniform set to start with!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KenMac

Quote from: JB Griffin on December 19, 2014, 08:06:36 PM
Cooks sells a hand crank band roller that would do just that. Can't remember how much.
It would de-set and flatten your blades at the same time.
I was told by Robert at Cook's that I bought the last band roller they were going to sell. It was costing them by not selling as many bands. It's not designed to deset bands, but I guess it would if adjusted for that.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

kelLOGg

Quote from: Chuck White on January 15, 2020, 12:17:00 PM
I had this made a few years ago, and it works fast and easy to make your set uniform!

Just put the blade in between and pull the blade backwards through the rollers!

I usually set my blades .025-.028, and when they get dull, I clean them, then run them through the rollers and they (the way the rollers are set now) get set back to .020-.022!

Speeds things up when I go to set the blades because now the blade will be a uniform set to start with!
I remembered your rollers, Chuck. I just didn't have the rollers and the setter is at hand and took 1 minute to set up. Granted it is not as precise as yours.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

I think it was Chuck's post that inspired me to make my de-setter.  I had my timing belt changed on my Tundra and requested the old parts.  So I got two flat rollers and a nice little pivot arm.  A piece of 3/8" steel plate, had to drill one big hole and one small, IIRC.  A couple washers under the top roller to even it up with the adjustable.  Usually one pass does it.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!