iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dining table

Started by Den-Den, January 03, 2020, 08:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

Just finished this red oak dining table.  I sawed the wood in this table a few years ago from a big tree that blew over in my neighbors yard.

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

WDH

Very fine.  You matched the color and grain of the top beautifully.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Looks great, I like the design. Now start on the chairs. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

thecfarm

That sure does look good. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kantuckid

Beautiful table!
Having built several breadboard end tables I'll play devils advocate here.
It's important to have made wood movement possible in the joining of the breadboard end and the wide table wood. In my area it would not be unusual to see as much as a 1/2" of width change over the seasons in a typical table top My current dining room table uses a somewhat complicated series of tenons made on the end piece with doweled internal slots. It can be seen in detail in an old issue of Fine Woodworking. There are other means to achieve this and in the end they all move.
The cleats under the top also require slots. On tables using a box frame  like my latest kitchen drop leaf table, I make wooden attachments inside the box with slots for the retention screws to allow movement via washers. I've also used the metal mfg. style table top angle thingys that use a sawn slot for movement.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Den-Den

Thanks for the compliments.
Kantuckid: you are absolutely correct about allowing for movement.  My breadboard end is a simple design.  An almost full width tenon into an almost full length mortise with glue on ONLY the center few inches.  I used bent metal strips fit into a slot to allow movement between the top and supports.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

kantuckid

I had not seen that approach, it definitely is far easier than most ways to allow movemnt and have a bread board end. I meant well in my comments BTW.
The grain in your Texas red oak is nice. I am sitting here at what was once our red oak dining table, now a puter desk. It is very similar to yours but older by almost 45 years. It has a lacquer finish that I've been too lazy to freshen up.
Our main dining table has a box frame under the top and I built two extensions that have two pieces of wood, ~3/4 x 2 1/2" that fit into rectangular holes and brackets under the top for family get-togethers. They are maybe 24" long and plywood with sawed veneer of wormy chestnut showing. We store them under a bed most of the time.
Tables are waaaay easier than chairs...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ruffgear

I agree with the others, wonderful!! I really like the base, I just finished one that is very similar, I'll have to post..

Thank You Sponsors!