iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to a Game Of Logging training

Started by maple flats, May 09, 2007, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I am registered to go to a GOL 1 and 2 on Monday and Tues of next week. This is really my first in depth training of this type. A few years ago I did attend a 2 hour mini session to get people interested in making the commitment. Now I am. Usually I am real good with maps but the map telling us where the course will be is hard to figure just how long it will take so I will need to leave an extra hour earlier. The map has NO MAIN ROUTES or even sorta straight ones to go by and the description leaves a lot of room for improvement, BUT I am sure I will find it. The map just shows a lot of curving black top roads and then finishes on unpaved roads. This one will be given by Bill Lindeoff (sp?) who is supposed to be real good. I will let you know how I make out with the course and the dierctions to get there.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

Hope you enjoy the course as much as I did.

It will give you a lot to think about, I'm certain. Have fun.

Do you have a mapping program, that can help you find the address?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Please explain what the game of logging is?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DKinWA

I just completed four days of GOL and it was time and money well spent.  Ken Lallemont was our instructor and he made the class very informative and enjoyable.  My only regret was not taking a small notepad and pencil to write down some of the things we were taught or discussed.  I left the last day with a much better understanding of the how's and why's of timber falling and can't wait to go out and put this training to work.

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logbutcher

The GOL course changed everything about my techniques for cutting and thinking about felling and the chainsaw. Everything from speed, to safety, to maintenance, to completely new ways to use a saw.
For example: I never used to bore cut or use wedges seriously. Now, there's hardly a 15" + DBH that I don't bore or use wedges.
BTW: there's a GOL cutting book that sums up the program. You'll love GOL.  8)
When you can't learn something new............. :o

Raider Bill

Looks very interesting! 

Good Luck Dave, I'll add this to my list of to do's.

maple flats

Do they give out any handouts or would I need to take notes for everything my old brain should have for future use?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

Bill, many logging contracts call for trained loggers as do some insurance companies covering the liability of the logger. The GOL is likely the most recognized of training courses. They accept professional loggers all the way down to a weekend homeowner warrier who is going to drop a few trees for firewood or just to get them out of the way. As I understand it the course covers all aspects of safety, felling, bucking etc. I will likely not be doing any for hire but I am managing my own woods for timber and for maple syrup production. In the maple end I need to do improvement cuttings and try to drop the trees for the least damage to the pipelines that are in place year round. I am hoping to improve my dropping skills for pinpoint placement more often, a far cry from what I did back when you lived next door and I took a job over on Eatonbrook reservoir making a storage shed into a guest quarters. The first thing was to drop a tree that was only about 6" from the roof overhang of the building i was converting. I THOUGHT the tree looked solid but I notched it and the wood was good, then I went to the back side and as I started to cut the 14" tree I only got in about 2 inches and the tree snapped at right angles, missed the building but took out 6 utility poles supplying elec. to the dead end road. The tree was all dead except a layer just over 2" all of the way around. The leaves were off the tree as it was late October and I didn't see anything wrong. I called the elec co and told them what happened and they came out with a line truck and a couple of pick up trucks. I had put the tree across the line about half way between poles, the weight had tipped 6 poles and pulled tight the service supplies to several houses/camps. These were not full height nor diameter poles, just "jr" poles. The line crew walked alond, two men pushed each pole upright and a third kicked some rocks and dirt into the hole. They checked to find damage to the lines going to each building but luckily there was none. When they were finished I asked how much this was going to cost me, they said "don't worry about it, we do this all of the time" I am lucky it happened on a small elec co-op system and not the big "NIMO" you knew, if it had been the big guys I would still be paying even though it has been over 30 years.
This training should be able to teach me more and help me recognize sick trees that in outwards appearance look ok and should help me drop them where I want most often. It should also teach me how to keep all of my fingers and toes and all other parts. Logging is VERY dangerous but this training should bring it's danger down to acceptable levels. It should teach me the safest methods for most any situation to get the tree on the ground and have me still be able to continue these things I love to do. 8) 8)

Larry

maple flats, best money I ever spent.  Soren Eriksson was my teach and Bill Lindeoff was in training...seemed like a knowledgeable and nice person.  This was in 1999 so the curriculum may have changed somewhat...or a lot.

Our directions to the meet spot were quite difficult to navigate.  From our meet spot, we headed off road maybe a mile...that drive alone was almost worth the price of the admission.

I got excellent handout material that I still use as reference.  Best advice I can give is after cutter 2 there is a break where you are supposed to cut trees.  Write down all questions and problems...they will be addressed in cutter 3.

At least in Missouri you can't log on state land unless you have completed the course.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ed_K

Maple Flats, Bill will have handouts but bring a notepad anyway. There's always something someone will say that you'll want to remember later. Good luck,get right up close and watch and listen and you could win a tee shirt.
Ed K

bitternut

Bill Lindloff was the instructor for the classes that I took. He does a very good job. I learned a lot. Be prepared for a full day in the woods and pack a lunch to carry. Don't forget to bring all your safety gear and your saw.

Raider Bill

Thanks Dave, So much to learn............. This is on my to do list.  If I get up there to visit my Dad this summer I'll get a hold of you.

jon12345

Where is the course being held? Maybe someone on the forum can give ya some easier directions  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

maple flats

The training classes for both days are on the Jerseyfield Rd in Salisbury Center. Directions say 1 mile past end of pavement but there is a long road in the map with no indication where the pavement ends. Most maps generally show a change in lines when going from paved to unpaved but this does not and I find no indication to help know driving time after exiting the thruway at either Herkimer or Little Falls, whichever looks the better choice. Jon, this is sort of in your backyard, maybe you can help.

jon12345

Yes! that is practically in my back yard.  I have been 5 miles back in the woods hunting near the end of jerseyfield road on several occasions.  I wish I didnt have to work, I'd meet you in Herkimer and have you follow me, giving directions isn't really my strengths  :D   give me a few and I'll try to come up with some good ones.

beenthere

Looks like, on my map program, that you may go north of Curtis, NY on Jerseyfield Rd. (as Curtis is where it appears Jerseyfield Rd begins).

Getting to Curtis, NY from Salisbury on Curtis Rd. (or to Curtis on North Rd out of Salisbury Center, NY).

This help any?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jon12345

Lived here all my life and never heard of Curtis til beenthere mentioned it and I zoomed in on mapquest about 8x's.  :D  If you've ever seen the movie 'Wrong Turn' about the inbred cannibals - this is kind of like where mapleflats will be heading  :D

Jerseyfield road turns from paved, to dirt, to skid trail after about 5 miles turns back into dirt, and gravel.

I'd suggest gettin off the thruway in herkimer  and taking 28 north to 29.  Not really sure exact distance when jerseyfield road turns to dirt.  Probably about 1/2 hr-45 minute ride after you get out of herkimer, maybe more depending on if you get stuck behind schoolbuses, farm tractors.

crtreedude

you know, when I first looked at the website address, it looked like

www.Game O Flogging.com  :o

Starting to wonder about you all sometimes... ;)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

Whip me, Beat me, tell me you care!!

That will be $2000  :D :D

maple flats

Thanks Jon, that helps. I see on my map program Curtis and a few other possibilities heading northward but none seem to scream "this would be the quickest route" I see Jerseyfield road. Jon, would you think 29 to L on Military, R on 221 (Curtis) thru Ives hollow to L on Jerseyfield would be faster or would you suggest 29 thru to Salisbury Center, L on North which becomes Jerseyfield would be faster? The first looks shorter but shorter is not always faster and I do not know how good or bad either of these roads are. I have traveled to Salisbury Center but am not familiar with that part of military and then Curtis (221), nor have I seen North Road. I have been on another part of Military when I went to a black powder shoot just off Military but I got that by going up tr 8 to coldbrook and turned R on Rose valley Rd and then L at the end of Rose Valley onto a dirt rd, just bebore Military was the gun club on the left.

beenthere

:D :D :D
maple flats, youre funny.  :)

I hope I don't get a map program that screams out at me.......the dear wife can do that ::) ;D, but now they have da GPS units that will talk to you (and won't talk back  ;D ).

I hope you make it through that maze.  :)  Let us know fer sur.
south central Wisconsin

jon12345

If you had a 4 wheeler you could take military road from the blackpowder shoot all the way to jerseyfield  :D  I haven't been over on those roads in a while so I couldn't tell ya their current conditions.   I don't think one is really that much longer than the other. 

I'd figure about 20-25 minutes more than how long it took you to get to the kuyahoora rangers, If you wanted to go that route, and just take 28 straight on thru poland until you got to middleville and got on 29.  I used to live in the next town past poland (newport) and could get to dolgeville in less than 20 mins, which is past salisbury

maple flats

Well, thanks all. I think I have a good enough idea to know how much time to allow so I won't be late nor extremely early. I never doubted I could find it just was having a hard time figuring the drive time to allow. I generally like getting to something like this about 30-40 min early but didn't want to be way earlier than that.
Dave

maple flats

I just looked at a topo map book for the entire state. It looks like this names the roads differently than the map sent me or the mapquest one. The latter 2 agree for which is Curtis and rt 221, and one just to the east as North Road the topo book (NYS Atlas & Gazetteer), By DeLorme shows North as Curtis and has no North road but has rt 221 with no other name designation. I just love it. However I should be ok by looking for the intersections and follow by those and a compass. Here I thought I had figured this out.

Thank You Sponsors!