iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to a Game Of Logging training

Started by maple flats, May 09, 2007, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Well, after all of my confusion I had no trouble finding the location. The DeLorme version of the map was wrong but I went with the one that was mailed to meĀ  by the instructor and it worked. The way was paved until the last 2.5 miles and that was all less that 5mph type road, big gravely ruts and big rocks to avoid. I will write about the 2 days of instruction and testing tomorrow but for now I will only say that it was excellent. I encourage anyone who ever cuts down trees to take at least the Game of Logging 1 for your own safety.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

The class for Game of Logging (GOL) started with some sharpening ideas to enhance your production and covered the parts of the chain and chainsaw. After that we went into the woods and were shown many different real situations and taught what decissions to make before starting the cut. Making a plan and being sure to consider all of the factors was stressed. Then we watched the instructor drop a tree and we each followed with a tree to drop. I have dropped several houndred if not thousands of trees over my life but this was truly new. Determining the direction to drop, knowing how much hinge to leave, differing hinge methods, a new way to cut the notch and keeping it as low as possible to get the most log from the tree, how to reduce the incidence of fiber pull, how to handle difficult situations on leaners and crooked trees. During the class the utmost emphasis was on safety at all times. As each of us were assigned a tree to drop the others had to take mental notes for a comment session/critique that followed. The stump was analyzed and the total felling was scored. On Day 1 I lucked out and got the high score for the day which won me a new hardhat with muffs and face shield. On day I scored in the middle of the pack. I was shooting for a perfect score which would have been rewarded by a new Husky 575XP saw but that was not to be. Bill Lindloff said that the last free saw was earned back in 1996 and only 2 have ever been won, I believe. Apparently a perfect score is not very easy. On GOL 2, (second day) some basic maintainance of the saw was covered and then we learned how to safely cut a spring pole. We were then tested on spring poles. After that we each dropped another tree and each was harder that GOL 1, they each had a problem to contend with. Mine was a leaner with all of the crown off to one side and I had to drop it at about 120 degrees to the lean. I over compensated and missed my target by 4 feet (60' out). I was asked to do it in double time because a thunder storm was rolling in. Shortly after I dropped it the storm moved to our north and we could continue. For a short time it looked like we were going to be forced out of the woods until it blew over but that was not the case.
The GOL teaches the basics, teaches safety and enforces same, gives a list of questions to ask with each tree you drop. It teaches you to come up with a plan and to explain each point of why you are doing it that way, then you are scored on the exicution of the plan. Our clases were made up of students ranging from professional loggers to log graders, to teachers from a school program (2 different schools), to a forester and some who were only going to work on their own woodlot. The course was a great learning experience.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

sawguy21

I would attend something like that in a heartbeat. Great training.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

The GOL is a great way to learn the best methodology for harvesting timber.  When I took the course I learned as much from interacting with the 'professional loggers' as I did from the instructor.  Time and money well spent and a great time to boot  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ed_K

Wow a hardhat  8) I only got a teeshirt. Course you should get a saw for what they charge for the classes now  ;D . While reading your report I could remember back to when I took the course, way to go Maple Flats  ;) .
Ed K

jon12345

I just saw this on the NELA website,

Sept. 30       GOL-1        So. Colton, NY (Catamount Lodge)    Contact: Bob Hostetter 315-386-2745

There may be others for your state

Logger Training
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!